PDA

View Full Version : Is Roland St-Jude a single mod, or the "Face of Authority"?

Cikomyr
2013-12-09, 05:14 PM
Was curious to know if St-Jude was actually a single moderator, or the Board Administration's means of enforcing its rulings without having other Moderators antagonize anyone (or whatever reason that might justify having a single Mod account do all the hammerwork).

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-12-09, 05:16 PM
We are all Roland St-Jude.

Winthur
2013-12-09, 05:18 PM
The "Last thread" prompt on the main forums made me think whether someone was asking if Roland St-Jude is a single man. :smallredface:

Silverraptor
2013-12-09, 05:19 PM
The "Last thread" prompt on the main forums made me think whether someone was asking if Roland St-Jude is a single man. :smallredface:

Don't be embarrassed. I thought so too.:smalltongue:

eggynack
2013-12-09, 05:21 PM
I think that's what "Forum Staff" is for. Roland is likely a human being, though it's impossible to confirm that for sure, even if he says it himself.

Cikomyr
2013-12-09, 05:21 PM

Dating a mod is dangerous business :smallwink:

Nah, nothing of the kind. Just wondering if he's actually someone, or a construct.

If he's someone, he's doing an incredibly busy job :smalleek:

Cikomyr
2013-12-09, 05:23 PM
I think that's what "Forum Staff" is for. Roland is likely a human being, though it's impossible to confirm that for sure, even if he says it himself.

Oh, I'll take whatever answer he gives straight. I don't see why he would want to lie about something like that.

Guancyto
2013-12-09, 05:24 PM
Dating a mod is dangerous business :smallwink:

Nah, nothing of the kind. Just wondering if he's actually someone, or a construct.

If he's someone, he's doing an incredibly busy job :smalleek:

Well, whether or not he's a single entity has no bearing on whether or not he's also an unstoppable robot.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-12-09, 05:26 PM
Roland has been involved in a long-running PbP game. What do you think?

Cikomyr
2013-12-09, 05:27 PM
Roland has been involved in a long-running PbP game. What do you think?

the Mod team is messing with you? :smallamused:

eggynack
2013-12-09, 05:31 PM
Oh, I'll take whatever answer he gives straight. I don't see why he would want to lie about something like that.
Obviously to keep up the masquerade that he's an actual person.

Cikomyr
2013-12-09, 05:34 PM
Obviously to keep up the masquerade that he's an actual person.

Maybe I am a fake account created/controlled by the Mod team meant to ask the question he will answer? :smalleek:

eggynack
2013-12-09, 05:47 PM
Maybe I am a fake account created/controlled by the Mod team meant to ask the question he will answer? :smalleek:
Indeed. And perhaps I am a fake account designed to present actually true things about the moderating team in a manner that implies that those things aren't true. The machinations of the moderators are ridiculous and circumlocutious. And necessary. Very necessary.

Cikomyr
2013-12-09, 05:48 PM
Indeed. And perhaps I am a fake account designed to present actually true things about the moderating team in a manner that implies that those things aren't true. The machinations of the moderators are ridiculous and circumlocutious. And necessary. Very necessary.

My god! That's terrible! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AndThatsTerrible)

SiuiS
2013-12-09, 05:54 PM
Well, whether or not he's a single entity has no bearing on whether or not he's also an unstoppable robot.

Robot? I was unaware of a physical body which could contain a Moderator. Not after the third level.

I'm fairly certain we are typing words into Rawhide's interface right now, for example.

We're moderated by an exarchial godmachine?
Gotta try and get someone to make that as an avatar. See if they can encompass all of Euclidean space in an avvie without crashing the board, and staying true to the stick figure aesthetic.

Cikomyr
2013-12-09, 06:00 PM
We're moderated by an exarchial godmachine?
Gotta try and get someone to make that as an avatar. See if they can encompass all of Euclidean space in an avvie without crashing the board, and staying true to the stick figure aesthetic.

You fool!!! It's not going to crash the board, but crash the Moderation team!!

The whole board will be UNMODERATED!! :smalleek: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

SiuiS
2013-12-09, 06:04 PM
You're right. Ill commission a stick version of the GMC book cover instead. :smallsmile:

More to the point though. I doubt, highly, that the moderation staff would ever, EVER break their own rules. It's not worth the backlash and the cost of not doing so is negligible. So seeing as we aren't supposed to share accounts? I doubt they do.

Yes, I know of the existence of the giant footprint mod team account. Take it in sprit as well as letter. :smalltongue:

Guancyto
2013-12-09, 06:04 PM
Also, a lot of spam.

I mean, goddamn, have you seen how much cleaning up they do?

Flickerdart
2013-12-09, 06:06 PM
Was curious to know if St-Jude was actually a single moderator, or the Board Administration's means of enforcing its rulings without having other Moderators antagonize anyone (or whatever reason that might justify having a single Mod account do all the hammerwork).
Isn't that what the Big Footprint is for? Roland's job is to make sure we go back to our fun.

Cikomyr
2013-12-09, 06:07 PM
Also, a lot of spam.

Let's be fair; that's what I was referring to.

nyjastul69
2013-12-09, 06:38 PM
The Computer is your friend, Citizens.
Treason is punishable by summary execution, Citizens.
Questioning the existence of Moderators by Citizens with less than Ultraviolet clearance is treason, Citizens.
Your clearance is Red, Citizens.
Be Happy, Citizens.
--The Computer.

:smallwink:

Cikomyr
2013-12-09, 06:42 PM
Holy crap!! Not only it's self-aware, but it started hacking into account to quote at us RPG-culture references!!

WHO WOULD EXPECT THAT ON OUR BOARD?!?! :smalleek:

The Glyphstone
2013-12-09, 06:55 PM
Perhaps all of the mods share the 'Roland St. Jude' account.

Perhaps one person is, in fact, all of the moderators, including Roland St. Jude.

Dare you peel back the curtains of space and time in search of knowledge mortal posters were not meant to know and risk discovering the truth?

Cikomyr
2013-12-09, 07:00 PM

Perhaps one person is, in fact, all of the moderators, including Roland St. Jude.

Dare you peel back the curtains of space and time in search of knowledge mortal posters were not meant to know and risk discovering the truth?

Oh! Oh!! I know the answer to that one!!!

FORTY-TWO!!!!

Morcleon
2013-12-09, 07:10 PM
I would like to point out the fact that Rawhide has the user ID of 1. Perhaps Roland St Jude is just a diversion from the true secret...? :smallbiggrin:

Cuthalion
2013-12-09, 07:11 PM
Don't be embarrassed. I thought so too.:smalltongue:

As did I, yet I know the answer.

thubby
2013-12-09, 07:12 PM
well, actually...
of course there is no mod conspiracy. just like There is no mind control, citizens. Go back to your fun.

Cikomyr
2013-12-09, 08:00 PM

It would be awesome if the Enforcer persona was named Spartacus.

You could all say "I am Spartacus!"

Sgt. Cookie
2013-12-09, 08:14 PM
Neither. Roland St-Jude is actually the sentient manifestation of psionic energy that millions of internet users have unconsciously poured into their computers.

As a result, the being known as Roland St-Jude actually exists in a Tron-like state of existence, relying on an ever growing pool of users from which he draws his life-energy.

At least when the little green light says he's logged in. The rest of the time he's protecting the internet from the Great Glitched Ones. Consisting of the likes of Virtual Cthulu (The IP Call of Cthulu), Haxtur (He who is not Usernamed) and The Worm that Gnaws in the Memory (Doom of Storage).

Grinner
2013-12-09, 08:16 PM

http://i.imgur.com/hfQT3WC.png

Cikomyr
2013-12-09, 08:26 PM
Neither. Roland St-Jude is actually the sentient manifestation of psionic energy that millions of internet users have unconsciously poured into their computers.

As a result, the being known as Roland St-Jude actually exists in a Tron-like state of existence, relying on an ever growing pool of users from which he draws his life-energy.

At least when the little green light says he's logged in. The rest of the time he's protecting the internet from the Great Glitched Ones. Consisting of the likes of Virtual Cthulu (The IP Call of Cthulu), Haxtur (He who is not Usernamed) and The Worm that Gnaws in the Memory (Doom of Storage).

Really? So he's the product of our subconscient?

Man.. no wonder he's such a **** at times...

JOKE!! JOKE!!!! Don't ban me please

Zrak
2013-12-09, 08:29 PM
I just kept hoping for a good set up to say that I am not a number and am instead a free man, but it just didn't happen. Bummer. I guess I'll go back to my fun.

Lord Magtok
2013-12-09, 08:34 PM

Ooooh! I hope we get an answer to this question before the thread gets locked!

Y'know...for science. http://s93053262.onlinehome.us/icons/Browmkey/other_awesomenessShiftyEyes.gif

Cikomyr
2013-12-09, 08:44 PM

Y'know...for science. http://s93053262.onlinehome.us/icons/Browmkey/other_awesomenessShiftyEyes.gif

Is your avatar Cybergrinch?!

Chess435
2013-12-09, 09:24 PM

http://emotibot.net/pix/4453.jpg

It's probably for the best.

BRC
2013-12-09, 09:33 PM
Roland had grown so rich, he wanted to retire. He sent me a PM and he told me his secret. 'I am not the Dread Mod Roland' he said. 'My name is Ryan; I inherited the Account from the previous Dread Mod Roland, just as you will inherit it from me. The man I inherited it from is not the real Dread Mod Roland either. His name was Cummerbund. The real Roland has been retired 15 years and living like a king in Patagonia.'

Cikomyr
2013-12-09, 09:35 PM
Roland had grown so rich, he wanted to retire. He sent me a PM and he told me his secret. 'I am not the Dread Mod Roland' he said. 'My name is Ryan; I inherited the Account from the previous Dread Mod Roland, just as you will inherit it from me. The man I inherited it from is not the real Dread Mod Roland either. His name was Cummerbund. The real Roland has been retired 15 years and living like a king in Patagonia.'

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

I want to +1 you so damn much

Anarion
2013-12-09, 09:53 PM

He's hanging out with Satoshi Nakamoto (founder of Bitcoin), the leadership of Anonymous, and a couple named John and Jane Doe, right?

Hiro Protagonest
2013-12-09, 10:24 PM

He's hanging out with Satoshi Nakamoto (founder of Bitcoin), the leadership of Anonymous, and a couple named John and Jane Doe, right?

This has to be a movie.

That, or a sitcom.

Blueiji
2013-12-09, 10:31 PM
I would like to point out the fact that Rawhide has the user ID of 1. Perhaps Roland St Jude is just a diversion from the true secret...? :smallbiggrin:

Who has the user ID of 0?

Razanir
2013-12-09, 10:39 PM
Who has the user ID of 0?

NO ONE!

ooooEEEEoooo....

Siosilvar
2013-12-09, 11:13 PM
NO ONE!

ooooEEEEoooo....

That can't be right, uid -2 is reserved for nobody.

Chess435
2013-12-09, 11:25 PM
That can't be right, uid -2 is reserved for nobody.

Should I feel bad for actually checking this? :smalltongue:

Morcleon
2013-12-09, 11:26 PM
Should I feel bad for actually checking this? :smalltongue:

No. I did too. :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

SiuiS
2013-12-10, 01:10 AM

Well, we have this thread, so... Yes?

This has to be a movie.

That, or a sitcom.

Web series!

I'd watch and or read it.

NO ONE!

ooooEEEEoooo....

Well of course not one is 1. One is not 0.

Zrak
2013-12-10, 02:18 AM
So, wait, who's on first?

Shyftir
2013-12-10, 02:34 AM
You know the only reason this thread is still here is that the entity known as "Roland St. Jude" has yet to create an epic enough way to end it.

Gadora
2013-12-10, 02:52 AM
Something about this thread makes me want to see Roland St. Jude week, or mod week, or... something... pop up as an avatar theme week. (With permission from the involved parties, of course.) :smalltongue:

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-10, 03:49 AM
Considering that I remember when Roland became a mod I can fairly confidently state that he isn't some composite mod account.

Glyphstone though, now he's a shifty one. Better keep an eye on him.
just pay no attention to Rawhide as he comes and punks you in the back of the head with his staff of lordly might

Winthur
2013-12-10, 03:58 AM
Considering that I remember when Roland became a mod I can fairly confidently state that he isn't some composite mod account.

Sure. And Bob Page is just a philantropist who has no intention of taking over the world within six months

Melayl
2013-12-10, 04:11 AM

You, sir, win this thread. I salute you.

Mystic Muse
2013-12-10, 04:33 AM
Also, a lot of spam.

I suspect this is part of the reason they want new mods.

Something about this thread makes me want to see Roland St. Jude week, or mod week, or... something... pop up as an avatar theme week. (With permission from the involved parties, of course.) :smalltongue:

They've asked we not do this in the past.

137beth
2013-12-10, 04:46 AM
Is Roland actually the Lady of Pain? Or Ao? Or Khyber?

Until proven otherwise, I will assume that at least some members of the composite entity of Roland St. Jude are Inspired Kalashtar controlled by the Dreaming Dark. And sure, Tippy denies it, but then it is well known that Tippy is part of the cover up, probably due to controlling it somehow. In fact, I think Roland might just be an Ice Assassin constructed by one of Tippy's characters.

Iruka
2013-12-10, 05:35 AM

Exactly what I thought :smallbiggrin:

Grinner
2013-12-10, 07:46 AM
So. This is a bit off-topic, but do new mods get assimilated into the mod collective? Or must they wait until they pass into the Inner Circle? :smallconfused:

Zherog
2013-12-10, 07:48 AM
Roland is all man, baby! http://community.wizards.com/sites/all/modules/custom/forest_site/smileys/wizards/love.gif

*ahem*

I'm just gonna go stand in the corner and hope nobody sees me...

pendell
2013-12-10, 07:49 AM
Here's what *I* think happened.

Roland St. Jude was originally one, male, and human.

But, as mods do, he got tired and found he had this bizarre thing called "a life". Something beyond spambot-killing and policing alignment debates.

The mod team understood this, but found they just couldn't function without him.

So before Roland retired, they downloaded his personality into a computer.

This system ran well for weeks, but pure intellect Roland eventually got bored and flooded the secret moonbase where the mods live and work with neurotoxin. Since then, all the mods are just computer copies, diligently laboring away under the all-seeing eye of Roland, the overseeing personality.

Tongue-in-cheek ,

Brian P.

Winthur
2013-12-10, 08:07 AM
This system ran well for weeks, but pure intellect Roland eventually got bored and flooded the secret moonbase where the mods live and work with neurotoxin. Since then, all the mods are just computer copies, diligently laboring away under the all-seeing eye of Roland, the overseeing personality.

L-l-look at you, p-p-pendell. A p-p-pathetic c-c-creature of m-m-meat and bone. Panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect immortal machine?

Razanir
2013-12-10, 08:31 AM
So before Roland retired, they downloaded his personality into a computer.

Roland St Jude has left the library. Roland St Jude has been saved. Roland St Jude has left the library. Roland St Jude has been saved...

Mauve Shirt
2013-12-10, 08:58 AM
L-l-look at you, p-p-pendell. A p-p-pathetic c-c-creature of m-m-meat and bone. Panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect immortal machine?

Ok, it is YOU, sir, who win this thread.

I think it's not inconceivable that Roland has rigged the Mind Control Device to project that he is the Face of Authority.
The real Face of Authority, however, is the Big Footprint.

Also, from experience, might want to change the fake mod-speak to DarkRed.

Cuthalion
2013-12-10, 09:56 AM

He does have a wife, and two dogs.

Cikomyr
2013-12-10, 11:59 AM

What he does on his own free time is none of our business.

What interests me is if He Exists.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-12-10, 12:13 PM
Is Roland actually the Lady of Pain? Or Ao? Or Khyber?

Until proven otherwise, I will assume that at least some members of the composite entity of Roland St. Jude are Inspired Kalashtar controlled by the Dreaming Dark. And sure, Tippy denies it, but then it is well known that Tippy is part of the cover up, probably due to controlling it somehow. In fact, I think Roland might just be an Ice Assassin constructed by one of Tippy's characters.

So are they Inspired or are they Kalashtar?

Chess435
2013-12-10, 12:20 PM
So are they Inspired or are they Kalashtar?

Yes. Maybe.

Razanir
2013-12-10, 12:25 PM

Or is that just the cover story they want us to believe to cover up the fact the Roland St Jude may or may not be a computer-generated personality?

SMEE
2013-12-10, 03:52 PM
Roland is all man, baby! http://community.wizards.com/sites/all/modules/custom/forest_site/smileys/wizards/love.gif

*ahem*

I'm just gonna go stand in the corner and hope nobody sees me...

Too late. I have seen you already. :smallannoyed:

And yes, Rolland is all man... :smallamused:

Cikomyr
2013-12-10, 03:56 PM

And thus has spawn a new sploitation genre:

Mods Porn

pendell
2013-12-10, 04:37 PM
THIS is why I should never go on this forum without a healthy dose of brain bleach to hand.

*Wanders off to find some*

Tongue-in-Cheek,

Brian P.

The Glyphstone
2013-12-10, 05:43 PM
And thus has spawn a new sploitation genre:

Mods Porn

Complete with tentacles.

Cikomyr
2013-12-10, 06:12 PM
Complete with tentacles.

Remember the dramatic question asked earlier in this thread by a mod?

I TAKE IT BACK

I DON'T WANT TO KNOW

Zherog
2013-12-10, 06:13 PM

Well, stop staring and come join me in the corner. Sheesh. :smallbiggrin:

Cuthalion
2013-12-10, 06:13 PM
Or is that just the cover story they want us to believe to cover up the fact the Roland St Jude may or may not be a computer-generated personality?
Complete to asking for an avatar of his imaginary wife with the two imaginary dogs?

Razanir
2013-12-10, 06:20 PM
Complete to asking for an avatar of his imaginary wife with the two imaginary dogs?

I refer you back to this comment that should explain things well enough.

Roland St Jude has left the library. Roland St Jude has been saved. Roland St Jude has left the library. Roland St Jude has been saved...

Roland St. Jude
2013-12-10, 06:35 PM
Sheriff: He's just this guy, you know?