PDA

View Full Version : invoker classes

LentilNinja
2013-12-09, 07:02 PM
is there a list of all invoker classes out there?

Mcdt2
2013-12-09, 07:10 PM
As far as I know, the only Invocation using classes are Warlock and Dragonfire Adept. There are a number of prestige classes that specifically advance invocation users, but (IIRC) any PrC that advances arcane casting can advance invocations. There's also plenty of homebrews out there, but I don't believe there is any list of specifically those, try looking through the homebrew forum.

LentilNinja
2013-12-09, 07:19 PM
but (IIRC) any PrC that advances arcane casting can advance invocations.

i dunno if that could work since certain classes increase invoking class levels

jindra34
2013-12-09, 07:22 PM
i dunno if that could work since certain classes increase invoking class levels

It does. It just has to advance general casting, and not require specific spells, or classes of spells. But prestige classes that just require 'able to cast Xth level spells' and advance casting, can be qualified for and advance invoking classes.

Karnith
2013-12-09, 07:58 PM
It does. It just has to advance general casting, and not require specific spells, or classes of spells. But prestige classes that just require 'able to cast Xth level spells' and advance casting, can be qualified for and advance invoking classes.
I think that you're confusing invocations with some other subsystem (Shadowcasters, maybe?). Per Complete Arcane (and Dragon Magic, though with considerably less detail), any PrC that advances arcane casting or unspecified spellcasting (e.g. "+1 level of existing spellcasting class") can benefit an invocation user. Invocation users qualify for things that require an arcane caster level or knowledge of a specific spell, provided that they have an invocation that mimics it. They do not qualify for things that require actual spellcasting, e.g. things requiring "able to cast 3rd-level spells."

malonkey1
2013-12-09, 08:59 PM
Yeah. My group usually houserules it so you qualify for a class that requires "Spell of Xth Level" provided you know an Invocation with that effective level.

Chronos
2013-12-09, 09:37 PM
You want to be careful with that houserule, since there are some least invocations that mimic 2nd or 3rd level spells. That means that, if you count those as "can cast a spell of X level", that a level 1 warlock might qualify for a PrC intended for 3rd or 5th level characters.

Particle_Man
2013-12-09, 11:36 PM
Getting back to the OP, if you are willing to think outside the box a little, the MMs might contain monsters that rely on at will spell-like abilities, which are what invokations essentially are. And many of those monsters have a level-adjustment.

For example, the Angel (Astral Deva) is 12 HD, +8 LA, and has many at will spell-like abilities (all at effectively 12th level, so low-powered). So, a large number of relatively low-powered at-will spell-like abilities (admittedly also one 7/day and some 1/day abilities, as well as a few Su and Ex abilities). Sound familiar? :smallsmile:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm

Gamereaper
2013-12-10, 12:04 AM

I don't think that's right, invocations, divine casting, and arcane casting are called sepate things for a reason.

juicycaboose
2013-12-10, 01:34 AM
page 71 explains how a warlock can qualify for arcane spellcasting prestige classes, as a warlock has a caster level and a few other factors
page 18 details the benefits a warlock gains from those prestige classes