PDA

View Full Version : Would you play like this? I know it has probably been done before

Seer_of_Heart
2013-12-09, 08:58 PM
I'm going to run a Christmas themed oneshot within a couple of weeks and one idea I had was taking every first party base class I could find and having everyone randomly get a class and then they can gestalt it with whatever they want. They are allowed to prc/dip out but only into classes that fit the class ex no multiclassing into wizard or something. Are there any problems I would need to look out for other than some people getting a t1 class and others getting a cw samurai?

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-09, 09:01 PM
be careful to never give them a chance to kill santa and steal all his presents, they will take it...they will then eat the reindeer and the cookies and wear santa's suit and the skulls of reindeer as trophies while mrs. clause looks on in shocked horror....unless they're evil then just know what to expect.

molten_dragon
2013-12-09, 09:03 PM
I'm going to run a Christmas themed oneshot within a couple of weeks and one idea I had was taking every first party base class I could find and having everyone randomly get a class and then they can gestalt it with whatever they want. They are allowed to prc/dip out but only into classes that fit the class ex no multiclassing into wizard or something. Are there any problems I would need to look out for other than some people getting a t1 class and others getting a cw samurai?

I wouldn't want to do that for a prolonged campaign, but for a one-shot, I'd have no problems with it at all.

Callin
2013-12-09, 09:05 PM
Just limit it to T3 and below. Make for a think it through one shot and not a power through.

Hand everyone a class of T4 or lower then let em pick from T3 and Below.

ryu
2013-12-09, 09:06 PM
Are the limits on thematic prc/multiclass placed only on the class randomly assigned? Is the player allowed to make their other class whatever they want even if it then also bound as an archetype to follow on that line? I would rather see both of those as the more loose answer if I were playing by the rule as shown. Mostly because this should feel more like an awesome bonus thing for Christmas instead of a randomly determined limitation set. I would also recommend removing tiers below three from your random gestalts. As you noted otherwise you could get some highly unfair draws among the group. I say lose those below rather than above because I just can't see anyone getting properly Christmas giddy over pulling say... a fighter or a even t4 rogue.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-12-09, 09:20 PM
Are the limits on thematic prc/multiclass placed only on the class randomly assigned? Is the player allowed to make their other class whatever they want even if it then also bound as an archetype to follow on that line? I would rather see both of those as the more loose answer if I were playing by the rule as shown. Mostly because this should feel more like an awesome bonus thing for Christmas instead of a randomly determined limitation set. I would also recommend removing tiers below three from your random gestalts. As you noted otherwise you could get some highly unfair draws among the group. I say lose those below rather than above because I just can't see anyone getting properly Christmas giddy over pulling say... a fighter or a even t4 rogue.

Yeah its loose for the lower tier classes, just have 1 side be sneaky or skillmonkeying or something if you draw a rogue. I probably would even let them swap out base classes if they asked if its thematic for the lower tier classes. I wouldn't let anyone swap out higher tier classes except for a weaker one ex. dragon shaman instead of sorcerer.

Chronos
2013-12-09, 09:32 PM
I would recommend that after you assign them their first class, give them the opportunity to trade amongst themselves. Some people like some kinds of classes better than others.

ryu
2013-12-09, 09:32 PM
Yeah its loose for the lower tier classes, just have 1 side be sneaky or skillmonkeying or something if you draw a rogue. I probably would even let them swap out base classes if they asked if its thematic for the lower tier classes. I wouldn't let anyone swap out higher tier classes except for a weaker one ex. dragon shaman instead of sorcerer.

So would something like rogue to factotum, or fighter to warblade or swordsage be acceptable? Solid tier three options that are still quite capable of filling the same thematic niche the lower stuff would. Just more options and interesting ways of doing things. Well that and this would let people look for synergistic combos. If gestalting it's generally best to have one caster half, and another class that plays well with the same stat preferences, preferably with it granting some passive tasty benefits that are relevant even if you aren't actively taking actions unique to that class on your turn. For example if I drew a wizard? I wouldn't want another caster because they wouldn't actually do as much for the build as my favored choices. I'd want a factotum or warblade for the int synergy in either and the action economy they permit. Playing to their role as a secondary thing is also a nice benefit.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-12-09, 09:47 PM
I would recommend that after you assign them their first class, give them the opportunity to trade amongst themselves. Some people like some kinds of classes better than others.

That's a good idea thanks for the suggestion!

Seer_of_Heart
2013-12-09, 09:49 PM
So would something like rogue to factotum, or fighter to warblade or swordsage be acceptable? Solid tier three options that are still quite capable of filling the same thematic niche the lower stuff would. Just more options and interesting ways of doing things. Well that and this would let people look for synergistic combos.

That's what my plan is, I think I might just scrap classes below t3 if I'm gonna let them switch to a t3 anyways.

ryu
2013-12-09, 09:55 PM
In that case I see no problem with this rule set. So long as your players are experienced everyone should be able to make characters on a pretty even keel more or less. Everyone feels like they're getting goodies and with good reason. No matter what they find in the t1-3 bracket they'll get a piece of a highly synergistic and powerful build.

Particle_Man
2013-12-09, 11:32 PM
If you have 7 players, you could make them all Samurai. :smallsmile:

Totema
2013-12-09, 11:34 PM
If you have 7 players, you could make them all Samurai. :smallsmile:

Not CW Samurai, I hope. :smalltongue:

Honest Tiefling
2013-12-10, 12:39 AM
Maybe gather together all of the classes you are willing to use, and have everyone draw 3, pick 1. That way, there's some element of surprise, but people should get something they are willing to play.

Particle_Man
2013-12-10, 01:54 AM
Not CW Samurai, I hope. :smalltongue:

Eh, for a one shot they can suck it up. It could make it an extra challenge. :smallsmile: