PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder archivist. Help!

D20ragon
2013-12-09, 09:08 PM
Ok, so I asked the Dm if I could play an archivist for his pathfinder game. He very generously said yes, allowed me to update my skill points and hit die. However, I still must choose pathfinder feats, which is fine. On the other hand, I have no idea what to choose, as I am not very familiar with pathfinder.

So the question is, what are feats that work for an archivist? I am level 6, and a human.
Any/all help can and will be appreciated.

magotter
2013-12-10, 09:19 AM
Ok, so I asked the Dm if I could play an archivist for his pathfinder game. He very generously said yes, allowed me to update my skill points and hit die. However, I still must choose pathfinder feats, which is fine. On the other hand, I have no idea what to choose, as I am not very familiar with pathfinder.

So the question is, what are feats that work for an archivist? I am level 6, and a human.
Any/all help can and will be appreciated.

I am assuming you mean the 3.5 Archivist class, rather than the archivist bard archetype. That said:

One of the original reasons Archivist was so good was that you could combine it with cleric tricks. For example, Archivist plus Knowledge Devotion would give a large and easy to acquire boost to damage. Or Travel Devotion in order to move around all day without wasting action. Better yet, it and a 1 level cloistered cleric dip would grant you two separate channeling pools in order to fuel things like Divine Metamagic for Persistant and Quicken.

Alas, none of that is available in PF. And so you are now an archivist's backup role: A knowledge-themed skillmonkey with a few tricks. Not that its a poor choice; two good saves, 5/day dark knowledge, and Puissance by level 6 means that you can do a lot of battlefield control. And since you can learn from the Druid, Inquisitor, Ranger, and Paladin list you can be a potent team buffer, or an amazing battlefield controller starting riiiight about now.

Thus, my suggestion would be Control focused. Augment Summoning isn't bad. Every fight, toss out a mini-tank pet to harry the enemy while you start laying down ground cover. 1 to 3 round total should get the field shaped exactly as you like, and then regardless of the composition of the other party members you should mop up nicely.

Psyren
2013-12-10, 09:57 AM
Ask your DM if the class can become Int-SAD. Other MAD casting classes, like the Paladin or the Oracle (PF Favored Soul) were consolidated down to one primary stat.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-12-10, 10:54 AM
1: Be sure to ask your DM about how easily you can acquire divine scrolls. Even more than a Wizard, an Archivist is dependent upon how many scrolls they can get and what types of scrolls will be available.

2: Ask your DM if you can become INT-SAD, like Psyren suggested. If not then it's not that big of a deal, since (unlike some Dual-attribute casters) your spell capability and DCs are both based on INT: The bonus spells per day are just gravy.

3: Everything good for a cleric to take is good for you, and some Wizardly things too. Improved Initiative. Metamagic (Dazing Spell is awesome). Craft Wondrous Item. Consider Eldritch Hertage (Arcane) and then picking up Improved Familiar so you can hand them wands.

D20ragon
2013-12-10, 03:50 PM
Thank ye all kindly.