PDA

View Full Version : nWoD Autofire

Sidmen
2013-12-09, 09:30 PM
Hi All,

I'm looking for opinions on Autofire in WhiteWolf's New World of Darkness. I'm already using the common house rule that weapons inflict flat damage instead of adding to your attack dice pool, but I've been looking at the Autofire rules and am not sure which of two options I should go for.

The first would be to simply leave them alone - using autofire increases your accuracy and gives you the option to hit multiple targets with a single attack.

The second would be to have autofire reduce accuracy but increase damage. The thought here is that you aren't any more likely to hit your target (and the recoil actually makes it less likely), but that you're far more likely to hit with multiple bullets if you do hit. Included below is my prototype writeup for this:

Single Shot: You make a single attack against one target, expending one bullet, with no modifiers on the attack.

Double Tap: You quickly squeeze the trigger twice at the same target, expending two bullets, and suffering a -2 penalty to the attack roll but gaining a +1 bonus to the Damage you inflict.

Short Burst: You hold down the trigger on a burst-fire weapon and throw five bullets downrange. A Short burst is capable of striking up to two characters at Point-Blank range of each other, suffers a -4 penalty to the attack roll, but gains a +2 bonus to the damage the attack inflicts.

Long Burst: You unleash a barrage of ten bullets with a burst-fire weapon. A Long burst is capable of striking up to three characters, who must be within Close Range of each other. You suffer a -6 penalty to the attack roll but gain a +3 bonus to damage with a Long Burst.

Full-Auto: Only some weapons are capable of a Full-Auto attack, which unleashes a hailstorm of twenty bullets. With Full-Auto you can attack as many targets as you want, as long as they are in a 90° fire arc. On such an attack you suffer a -8 penalty to the attack roll, though you gain a +3 bonus to the damage you inflict only if all the targets are within Close Range of eachother.

Note that recoil compensation (such as bipods, stocks, and improved gas systems) are intended to go in there to offset the rather large penalties.

So, what do you all think? When using the old autofire rules I've encountered the player opinion of "why not autofire ALL the time?" and I was hoping an actual downside would make it more... optional.