PDA

View Full Version : Plant like companion for 3.5 Druid

DrkMagusX
2013-12-10, 12:18 AM
My Warforged druid is all about understanding nature and such. He even worships Mielikki and will be going into Landforged. I can't find any decent rules for a animal companion that is earth or nature related. Tried pathfinders but couldn't get the stat blocks back to 3.5 understandiblity and not seem over powerful.

If anyone has any ideas let me know. Can't I just make a warforged animal thingy.

Anyhow get the ideas a floating. I pay tribute to Treants and looking for something that fits my paradigm of Nature and earthy.

eggynack
2013-12-10, 12:30 AM
I'm not really sure how to pull off a plant-like animal companion, but there're a couple of options for an earth-like animal companion. The relevant one in this case is elemental companion (CM, 33), which trades off your animal companion with an elemental. You can pick up an earth one, which is likely the best choice for that anyway. The other one I know of is goliath druid substitution levels (RoS, 151), which has a bunch of earth themed abilities, including one at 6th level that lets you apply the earth subtype to your animal companion along with some bonuses. That one's obviously rather irrelevant, as you aren't a goliath, though it definitely wouldn't be overpowered to allow you to just take them, despite you not qualifying. The trade offs are kinda mediocre like that.

Alchemyre
2013-12-10, 01:06 AM
MMIII has the Woodling template. It would be completely up to your DM if you could apply it to your companion, though. It makes the base creature a plant and gives them some related abilities.

Coidzor
2013-12-10, 01:30 AM
If Dragon Magazine can get swung, there's a customizable Plant Companion ACF.

TroubleBrewing
2013-12-10, 02:31 AM
Greenbound Summoning tricks? Maybe try and get a Greenbound companion off the 4+ list?

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-10, 02:34 AM
...landforged warforged...plant companion... well not only have I found the antithesis of my animal focused druids but I've got a mental image of a warforged chia pet.

Alent
2013-12-10, 02:37 AM
For all the Pathfinder Druid's shortcomings, There is an elf-specific Druid Archetype that gets a Plant Companion. Maybe talk your DM into using the plant companion and companion advancement rules from it?

edit, had to comment on this:

...landforged warforged...plant companion... well not only have I found the antithesis of my animal focused druids but I've got a mental image of a warforged chia pet.

I can't help but picture an elven workshop full of Chia Dedicated Wrights coordinated by a warforged in an apron, personally.

Coidzor
2013-12-10, 03:14 AM

Awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Vizzerdrix
2013-12-10, 03:31 AM
If Dragon Magazine can get swung, there's a customizable Plant Companion ACF.

This +1.

Saddly it is easier to make an aberration friendly druid than a planty druid.

eggynack
2013-12-10, 03:40 AM
Saddly it is easier to make an aberration friendly druid than a planty druid.
Maybe from a build perspective. In terms of spells, very few druid spells have anything to do with aberrations, while they get plenty of plant spells at every level. It's an odd thing, because a character's build is a far more visible way to indicate theming, while spells are a much more important part of a druid than any build decision you could make. In this fashion, you end up with two half-themed druids, instead of a pair of complete builds. Perhaps the answer is building a druid whose thing is both aberrations and plants. That is a logical outcome.