PDA

View Full Version : Oozes and Class levels.

AWiz_Abroad
2013-12-10, 01:17 AM
What class would be best for a Colossal Ooze who's job is pretty much to discourage anyone from entering a dungeon that he's sitting on?

Spot the Ooze, was created by a wizard (because what isn't) to defend one of the nexus points of an epic spell that's keeping Eberron from being destroyed by Khyber.

Any thoughts?

My PCs could be anywhere from 12-16 when they encounter him (depends on the order in which they approach the quest).

Right now, all I've got confirmed is a Factotum/Chamelon
Possibles: A Beguiler, a Dwarven Barbarian

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-10, 01:36 AM
What type of ooze?

And I'm assuming that it has been awakened so that it has an Int score. Oh yeah, what ability scores does it have?

Hytheter
2013-12-10, 01:56 AM
I can't think of any class that wouldn't be hilarious for an ooze to take.

Yogibear41
2013-12-10, 02:26 AM
You are not prepared: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=538.msg114258#msg114258

He he, best picture ever :smallsmile:

AWiz_Abroad
2013-12-10, 03:21 AM
I think just for the sake of argument that I'd like to utilize a Gelatinous cube that's been hit with awaken . . . lets say twice

This thing is essentially defending one of the three critical points to ensure the survival of the planet, so it can be pretty mighty.

Important house rules
Feat awarded every odd level
No Psionics (I know it can be argued it's superior particurally in this case, but I'm still wrapping my head around it [pun intended]).

We probably will not have any Tier 1 casters when my party faces this

Yogibear41
2013-12-10, 04:11 AM
When you say collossal do you mean he has been advanced past the standard 4 hit die of a gelatinous cube? Or is he just that big, and still just has his 4 racial hit die? Is its speed still the listed 20 or is it faster? 20 is pretty slow if they are smart they will just run around it or something.

I think a warlock could be pretty hilarious, just for invisibility and flight at will, with some dimension door shenanigans as well. Fly up in the air so the melee types have to fly up as well, hit them with a slam, fail fort save, get paralyzed, go crashing to the ground, he he :smallsmile: Add in some at will shattering for additional shenanigans :smallsmile:

Ha have the ooze be invisible see how many just walk right into it and get engulfed! Then activate its flight and fly up in the air! Should they get out they fall! muahahah!

Flying ooozes oh my!!

AWiz_Abroad
2013-12-10, 04:24 AM
I planned on advancing it by at least 12 HD in a class.

Warlock sounds interesting though

Bullet06320
2013-12-10, 04:34 AM
barbarian/frenzied berserker gelatinous cube
give it fasthealing
its big mean and angry, makes a good guard dog, lol

TuggyNE
2013-12-10, 04:46 AM
I planned on advancing it by at least 12 HD in a class.

Keep in mind that class levels don't increase size; only RHD have size increases.

The Insanity
2013-12-10, 04:59 AM
Use this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/oozes/living-lake) 22 CR ooze.

Xerlith
2013-12-10, 05:57 AM
You might want to check this out. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/as/20061002a)

G.Cube
2013-12-10, 08:34 AM
How might a G.Cube issue verbal components for wizard levels? Don't forget any equipment it might have neefs to have acid immunity.

Vhaidara
2013-12-10, 09:45 AM
If you want a massive ooze, I would suggest the Genius Loci from Epic Level Handbook.

It's basically an environment ooze. As in they can be as big as a small demiplane, or even a moon. You have to make a DC 31 Wilderness Lore (it's a 3.0 book, so this is Survival now) just to realize that there's something not right about the land you're walking on. Then it hits you. With a tree.

Chronos
2013-12-10, 11:31 AM
WotC once published an article with a cube with monk levels (I think it was fiendish to give it the required Int score). 90' movement speed actually gets pretty fearsome, on a creature that can engulf.

Darrin
2013-12-10, 12:21 PM
How might a G.Cube issue verbal components for wizard levels? Don't forget any equipment it might have neefs to have acid immunity.

It depends on the method used to increase it's Int. If you use awaken, the spell description says they speak a language, but doesn't explain how. Unfortunately, if you use the awaken ooze spell (Dragon #304), it's even more vague, as it doesn't even mention the +2 HD or any changes to ability scores, nor does it reference the original awaken.

If you're raising the ooze's Int via a template (such as Half-Dragon, Sentry Ooze, etc.), then by RAW all creatures with an Int of at least 3 can understand Common. Nowhere do the rules specify that any specific Int score or physiological/anotomical quality is required for speaking a language. That's kinda firmly in "Ask the DM" territory. (Personally, I'd just handwave it with something like the ooze "vibrates a membrane" that is able to produce humanlike speech.)