PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Fun Prestige Classes.

Suddo
2013-12-10, 01:17 AM
So Prestige Classes are really hit or miss for Pathfinder. Favored class bonus and abilities through out base classes. But as I'm skimming across them in the SRD I keep find gems.

So what are some of your favorites?

Noble Scion, Sleepless Detective, and Living Monolith (I might get to play this one) all look cool to me.

Alleran
2013-12-10, 01:25 AM
Magaambyan Arcanist for a wizard.

Dragon Disciple isn't completely terrible now, either.

Psyren
2013-12-10, 03:14 AM
^ Arcane Archer is actually usable now too.

I like Arclord of Nex Mage of the Third Eye. Give Red Mantis Assassin Crimson Assassin a try if you want to bring some semblance of the 3.5 Assassin back. Divine Scion is nice, especially since it waives the prereq for Weapon Specialization for you with just one level. Harrower is cool for a gypsy-style diviner.

All of the psionic ones are worth a look too, though that's DSP rather than Paizo of course.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-12-10, 04:20 AM
2nd the Arcane Archer. Bards make pretty good entrants to the class IMO.

Holy Vindicator can be halfway decent if you're really into smashing things and using channel energy. They're probably better for Oracles than Clerics because there is slightly less MAD going on.

Horizon Walker is still a solid choice.

Agent of the Grave is very interesting if you want your character to turn undead at some point, but I still have no idea what its capstone ability is supposed to do.

I'm actually going to disagree with the Red Mantis thing: It getting spells awesome (seriously don't now why base assassin lost them), with some nice things like dimension door included for you. I really want to like it, but the rest of the package is mostly awful. Dreadful feat prereqs, and bad weapons to TWF with, and a derpy prayer attack ability.

Flavorful as hell, though.

grarrrg
2013-12-10, 11:14 AM
I'm actually going to disagree with the Red Mantis thing: ..., and bad weapons to TWF with...

Flavorful as hell, though.

I'll agree they're bad from a "require Exotic Prof" standpoint.
But from a pure damage standpoint, they're better than most any other Light weapons (if you have Exotic Prof, they count as Light for TWF).

Anywho...Dragon Disciple is fun to (ab)use.

Winter Witch is nice.

Champion of Irori kinda actually makes a Paladin/Monk multi-class viable.

Pit Fighter's first level has an ability that synergizes VERY well with Gunslingers of all things (which I find hilarious and I keep looking for other things to make use of it).

Diabolist, Demoniac, and Souldrinker, for advances casting without strictly having casting as a requirement.

And, as has been mentioned, Living Monolith, which has a VERY nice bonus at level 1 for Melee characters.

Greenish
2013-12-10, 11:29 AM
I'll agree they're bad from a "require Exotic Prof" standpoint. But from a pure damage standpoint, they're better than most any other Light weapons (if you have Exotic Prof, they count as Light for TWF).Though, if you used actual light weapons, you could use Weapon Finesse and Agile weapons to reduce MAD.

ellindsey
2013-12-10, 11:33 AM
I have a player in my game who's working on a Monk/Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple gish build, taking the appropriate style feats to use his monk attacks with the DD's natural weapons. Not terribly well optimized, horribly MAD, but a lot of fun as a concept.

Fax Celestis
2013-12-10, 11:44 AM
Big fan of the Brightness Seeker, myself.

Keneth
2013-12-10, 12:27 PM
Diabolist is the only one I've played since Pathfinder was released, and even that was a dip more than anything else. There was just never any reason to take a prestige class instead of base class levels.