PDA

View Full Version : Well this was unexpected. (Random Magic Item generation)

Envyus
2013-12-10, 01:35 AM
I decided to use the Random Magic Item generator for a item that would be available to my players.

What I got was very unexpected. First off I decided to see if the item was intelligent as it says 1% of them are. And behold I rolled a 100. Fallowing this were many lucky rolls and this is what I ended up with.

Neutral
Cha 14 Int 14 Wis 10
Speech Common, Draconic, Infernal.
120 ft. vision and hearing.
Two lesser powers. Item can use cure moderate wounds (2d8+3) on wielder 3/day. Item can use hold person on an enemy 3/day
Perpose. Defend the servants and interests of a specific deity
Item can cast 15d6 greater shout 3/day fulfiling it's purpose.
Sword, bastard. Flaming burst. Brilliant Energy. Vorpal. Wounding. +5 Enchantment Bonus.
Ego 28

Now all I need to do is use some sort of random generator to decide which Deity (Using Greyhawk) it serves which could make or break the item for my players. As their mid level selves will never be dominant over the sword if they conflict with it.

Still I am interested in what will become of this beast of a weapon.

Anyone know a way to randomly figure out the Deity this serves.

Corinath
2013-12-10, 01:53 AM
Here's a creative way of doing it.

Go Here (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/JHtB/domains.html)

Roll a 1d223 (Computer generate it somehow)
Hit Control+F.
Type in "Domain"
Go to that particular use of the word.
That domain has a number of Deities associated with it.
Roll 1d(Number of Deities in that domain)

And there you have it!

/longwinded

Alternatively, Here's a list of Greyhawk Dieties (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greyhawk_deities).

Roll 1d26
That's the letter their name starts with.
Roll 1d(Number of Deities with that letter as a first name)
There you have it!

EDIT: Added that last part to make it way easier.

Envyus
2013-12-10, 02:13 AM
Took your advice. Nearly got Nerull which frightened me, but in the End Norebo is the winner of this Sword. Norebo being the god Luck, Gambling, and Risk.

Wonder how I will make this work with the swords purpose of defending the followers and interests of Norebo.

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-10, 02:37 AM
Took your advice. Nearly got Nerull which frightened me, but in the End Norebo is the winner of this Sword. Norebo being the god Luck, Gambling, and Risk.

Wonder how I will make this work with the swords purpose of defending the followers and interests of Norebo.

I guess your players will just have to...*overused joke meme here* take their chances.

Drachasor
2013-12-10, 05:56 AM
You could keep it as Nerull.

I don't know much about Greyhawk stuff, but I did find this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerull#Quadripartite).

The weapon is old; very, very, very old. Something Nerull made before he sacrifice part of his power to sever the ties to the Far Realm. Unfortunately, this sacrificed changed Nerull and he became evil (he was neutral before). The sword serves what it views as Nerull's interests. It wants to find a way to restore him to proper neutrality.

Italic bits I made up (besides the sword-related stuff, of course).

Larkas
2013-12-10, 06:30 AM
Well, you could've also found out which deities have bastard sword as their favored weapon and rolled that. :smallsmile:

Chronos
2013-12-10, 11:36 AM
The sword wants the players to take crazy stupid risks, and can use its greater power whenever they do. This should be a lot of fun.

Corinath
2013-12-10, 12:11 PM
I guess your players will just have to...*overused joke meme here* take their chances.

*Puts on Sunglasses*
YEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh

Seriously though, a god of luck is oddly fitting for a sword that rolled a bunch of 98-100s

Particle_Man
2013-12-10, 02:20 PM
There may be a cult of Wee Jas looking for that sword. Wee Jas and Norebo have a . . . sort of a thing going . . .

Envyus
2013-12-10, 04:45 PM
The sword wants the players to take crazy stupid risks, and can use its greater power whenever they do. This should be a lot of fun.

Whats better if that if they don't take risks the sword can force them to because of it's ego score.

They have to make a DC 28 Will save to avoid the sword being dominant if they do something it does not want to do or it wants to do something they don't want to do.

Envyus
2013-12-10, 04:47 PM
You could keep it as Nerull.

I don't know much about Greyhawk stuff, but I did find this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerull#Quadripartite).

The weapon is old; very, very, very old. Something Nerull made before he sacrifice part of his power to sever the ties to the Far Realm. Unfortunately, this sacrificed changed Nerull and he became evil (he was neutral before). The sword serves what it views as Nerull's interests. It wants to find a way to restore him to proper neutrality.

Italic bits I made up (besides the sword-related stuff, of course).

That sounds pretty cool. I may consider it.