PDA

View Full Version : PF CR Question

LordAshenshield
2013-12-10, 02:11 AM
Ok so I am confused on how this works

For example the Drow Noble in the example given is 3rd level Cleric and his CR is 3. So his CR is a total of 1 CR.

But templates like Half Celestial grants a CR of +1 at 5 HD or less and a CR of +2 at 6-10 HD.

So how does this work with your classes?
How do you calculate how many 'CR levels' you get?

I know you can buy off a CR level up to half your total CR every 3 levels but wondering how it works to start.

I have to admit I have my own way of ruling it but I was wondering what exactly the real rules are.

Keneth
2013-12-10, 02:35 AM
There are no "real" rules, level adjustment does not exist in Pathfinder. The old guidelines suggest treating CR as total levels and reducing the number every few levels. The new guidelines suggest adjusting your encounters to match the average party strength. Neither method is perfect, or even good for that matter, but the LA method is especially bad in most cases because it punishes the player.

Psyren
2013-12-10, 02:49 AM
Note that the normal CR of a creature with class levels is its level minus one. So a regular Drow Cleric 3 would be CR 2. The CR 3 on the Noble in your example is basically acting as a form of LA +1.

A creature with PC class levels will have a CR = its level if it also has PC wealth appropriate to its level. If it has NPC wealth/treasure instead, it will be 1 below, as I noted in the first half of this post.

LordAshenshield
2013-12-10, 03:03 AM
Ok so a CR of +2 would make him have a blank level since the first CR equals the first class level, and he can buy off the CR at 3rd level too right?

LordAshenshield
2013-12-10, 03:22 AM
Alright for example lets say I make a character who is a level 5.

He is a Half Celestial Half Dragon Elan. The Half Celestial gives him a CR of +1 while the Half Dragon gives him +2 static.
His CR is +3 total.
So he would be missing 2 levels from one of his class levels making it something like Psion 5//Factotum 5//Warblade 3/CR 2 right?

Could I toss that across all three? So at ECL 5 my classes would ll read 4?

Psyren
2013-12-10, 09:59 AM
I'm pretty sure tristalt wreaks havoc with CR calculations. I don't know that I can answer your question.

LordAshenshield
2013-12-10, 10:14 AM
That is true I am just curious if my assumption is correct about the first CR equally Class levels like the Drow Nobles which we have played with and none of them have messed with the campaign badly though they where played by players who where not actively trying to abuse their darkness, SR or anything like that.

Can you be two Half-? at the same time?