PDA

View Full Version : So I just finished FF6 again.

Cybren
2007-01-15, 07:56 PM
Apperently an update is coming to the GBA. Has anyone here played FF4-Advanced? How much was it changed? I want to see Ultros in glorious Technicolor

JadedDM
2007-01-15, 08:09 PM
He's no garden-variety octopus, kids!

JabberwockySupafly
2007-01-15, 09:29 PM
I've played all the re-releases done so far except for V. 1 & 2 were nice, and IV is brilliant as they're updated all the graphics and it's on par with the original graphics of 6, plus they've done a bit of a retranslation which really helps, and Cecil has his Dark Knight abilities, which were left out of the original US Port (apparently it made him too "evil"). III for the DS is breathtaking but another beast entirely and should be ignored for the purposes of the GBA games as it obviously is not a GBA Game :)

Most likely 6 will just get a bit of spit & polish graphically (never hurts) and a few extra dungeons with added monsters and items, but otherwise will probably be the same game, which is not a bad thing at all. 1 got an almost total rework graphically and storywise, 2 got a graphics update and more flesh to the storyline (not as extensive as 1), but gems like 4,5, and 6 you really can't improve on except for maybe fixing up the translations a bit, in my opinion. All they do with them is a few extras, like bonus dungeons in 4 & 5. They will most likely do the same with 6. After all, you really can't improve on that game too much, but again that's my opinion. The only thing I'd like changed in 6 is the name translations to be correct. It's actually Tara & not Terra, for instance. That's just me being a bit of a wanker. :)

Cheers
JS

Cybren
2007-01-15, 09:37 PM
Well no, it's tina. The sound of it is very exotic in japan, but not so much in english so they changed it during translation. Good try though.

JadedDM
2007-01-15, 09:47 PM
Yeah, and Sabin's Japanese name was "Mash", so maybe they should stick to the English names.

Heh, heh. "Mash."

Deepblue706
2007-01-16, 01:47 PM
"Mash" still isn't as bad as "Butz"

Saithis Bladewing
2007-01-16, 01:58 PM
What's wrong with Mash and Tina and Butz? Those are classic names.

Reinforcements
2007-01-16, 02:53 PM
Just as long as they don't change Ted Woolsley's translation. FF6 just wouldn't be the same without, "Son of a submariner!" or, "I'm a receptionist! Gfah, ha ha!"

Jothki
2007-01-16, 02:56 PM
FF6's combat system is horribly, horribly broken. I would assume that the GBA will fix it.

JadedDM
2007-01-16, 03:13 PM
What's wrong with the combat system? It's pretty standard for CRPGs.

Reinforcements
2007-01-16, 03:19 PM
I would assume he meant "buggy" - which it was. Realm's "Sketch" ability regularly crashed the game, the "Evade" stat did literally nothing ("Magic Evade" handled both physical and magical attacks), etc.

storybookknight
2007-01-16, 03:27 PM
Half the time, Espers didn't work as advertised....

Relm's thing only glitched when she executed an attack that could kill herself... I shouldn't say only, but that was the main reason.

JadedDM
2007-01-16, 05:44 PM
Ohhh, yeah. And Dark did not effect you at all.

As a result, you might say...

Dare I say it?

Yes.

The goggles relic, they did nothing.

JabberwockySupafly
2007-01-17, 11:00 PM
Dear Glods, I didn't even realise I typed Tara until I read this, rofl... I honestly meant Tina. My bad folks, I gotta stop typing while I'm on the phones at work lol.

Jothki
2007-01-19, 06:49 PM
Ohhh, yeah. And Dark did not effect you at all.

As a result, you might say...

Dare I say it?

Yes.

The goggles relic, they did nothing.

Not necessarily. Dark prevents Strago from observing spells.

blackout
2007-01-19, 11:30 PM
Oh noez! An effect that neutralizes the super-ability of ONE character. Call the police, and the military, and BLAH BLAH BLAH. Ok, so Strago can't observe attacks if he's been darked. But other than that, blech. No one cares. I never really used Strago except in the last fight with Kefka.

Sneak
2007-01-19, 11:33 PM
Ah. FF6. I have good memories of playing that game.

Unlike my memories of playing FF5. Any game with a character named Butz has just made a fundamental wrong turn.

Maltrich
2007-01-25, 01:38 AM
I like the name Terra, myself, because it implies a relationship between her and Celes... terrestriral and celestial, good stuff.

Am I the only one who thinks that, in retrospect, the scene where Terra is conceived is incredibly humorous?

Dark does nothing? Weird, I always thought it lowered my hit rates just slightly... maybe I imagined it.