PDA

View Full Version : Obviously missing something about climbing

Milo v3
2013-12-10, 06:14 AM
I obviously am missing some detail or something, because I'm not entirely sure of the point of Climb Speeds when you still have to make climb checks. You can't even do accelerated climbing faster if even if your climb speed is faster than your base land speed.

What benefit is there having a climb speed other than take 10 and +8 racial bonus to climb checks?

eggynack
2013-12-10, 06:23 AM
Well, in addition to the benefits you mention, you also normally lose your dexterity mod to AC while climbing, while you don't with a climb speed, and if your climb speed is over a quarter of your movement speed, which it usually will be, then you get to move faster than you would normally be able to. That seems like a good amount of stuff. A +8 combined with the taking 10 is enough to overcome most climbs you'll need to make, and the dex to AC thing is rather important.

Edit: The thing you may be missing is this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#climb). The monster entries go into less detail than the special ability entry.

Greenish
2013-12-10, 06:25 AM
Climb speed makes you climb faster. Normally, you move at a quarter of your land speed while climbing (that's 5' for a creature with speed 30'). Accelerated climbing gets you to 15'. Most climb speeds are above 20'.

hymer
2013-12-10, 06:26 AM
In my MM, it says (in the Glossary under Movement Modes) that "If [the creature with climb speed] chooses an accelerated climb (see the Climb skill, page 69 of the Player's Handbook), it moves at double the given climb speed (or its given land speed, whichever is lower) and makes a single Climb check at a -5 penalty."
It also goes on to mention that they retain their dex modifier while climbing.

Edit: Ninjas all over me!

Greenish
2013-12-10, 06:30 AM
Edit: Ninjas all over me!Quick, lit yourself on fire!

*follows his own advice*

Milo v3
2013-12-10, 06:48 AM
Soo, there actually is a point of a race having climb speed equal to its base land speed. Ok good. Thanks

Greenish
2013-12-10, 07:03 AM
Soo, there actually is a point of a race having climb speed equal to its base land speed. Ok good. ThanksWell, it'd never have to take the -5 for accelerated climbing, unless it got some boosts to its landspeed (which are more common than boosts to other speeds).