PDA

View Full Version : Quick Ur-Priest Clarification

prufock
2013-12-10, 08:09 AM
The ur-priest loses all divine spellcasting from previous classes when he enters the PrC. I assume this includes domain spells as well. However, it doesn't say anything about other divine class abilities. So just to clarify, would a cleric/ur-priest retain domain powers and turn/rebuke undead (effectively gaining 2 turn/rebuke pools)? I'm under the impression that they do, just looking for confirmation.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-12-10, 08:20 AM
The ur-priest loses all divine spellcasting from previous classes when he enters the PrC. I assume this includes domain spells as well. However, it doesn't say anything about other divine class abilities. So just to clarify, would a cleric/ur-priest retain domain powers and turn/rebuke undead (effectively gaining 2 turn/rebuke pools)? I'm under the impression that they do, just looking for confirmation.

By RAW, yes. The difficulty is that you'd have to somehow enter Ur-Priest without falling and becoming an ex-cleric, since you *do* lose domain granted powers and turn/rebuke undead for going against your deity or philosophy (which as an Ur-Priest you sortof do by default). It'd require a weird character concept (or some refluffing of the Ur-Priest) to make this work, but I say go for it.

prufock
2013-12-10, 08:34 AM
By RAW, yes. The difficulty is that you'd have to somehow enter Ur-Priest without falling and becoming an ex-cleric, since you *do* lose domain granted powers and turn/rebuke undead for going against your deity or philosophy (which as an Ur-Priest you sortof do by default). It'd require a weird character concept (or some refluffing of the Ur-Priest) to make this work, but I say go for it.

By RAW, though, a cleric doesn't need to be devoted to a deity. He can be devoted to an ideal or cause. Ur-priests could be devoted to the ideals of, say, "ownership is theft" (so stealing divine energy from the gods or spell-like abilities and spell power from mortals is encouraged; a Spellthief Ur-Priest would be interesting for this concept) or "might makes right" (so you take whatever you are able to take).

My concept is a cleric whose god has died, and who has turned to the necromantic arts because of this. The concept isn't problematic for me.

Thanks!

Urpriest
2013-12-10, 11:15 AM
By RAW, though, a cleric doesn't need to be devoted to a deity. He can be devoted to an ideal or cause. Ur-priests could be devoted to the ideals of, say, "ownership is theft" (so stealing divine energy from the gods or spell-like abilities and spell power from mortals is encouraged; a Spellthief Ur-Priest would be interesting for this concept) or "might makes right" (so you take whatever you are able to take).

My concept is a cleric whose god has died, and who has turned to the necromantic arts because of this. The concept isn't problematic for me.

Thanks!

That said, you probably don't get two rebuking pools, though if you started out able to turn you might get a turning pool and a rebuking pool. There's a bit of ambiguity in this particular case, but in general having the ability to turn or rebuke multiple times doesn't "stack".

prufock
2013-12-10, 12:40 PM
That said, you probably don't get two rebuking pools, though if you started out able to turn you might get a turning pool and a rebuking pool. There's a bit of ambiguity in this particular case, but in general having the ability to turn or rebuke multiple times doesn't "stack".

Hm, that's too bad. Is this RAW, or FAQ, or what?

A cleric/ur-priest wouldn't be able to get both turn and rebuke, though. Evil is an alignment requirement for ur-priest, and evil clerics specifically rebuke undead.

herrhauptmann
2013-12-10, 01:06 PM
There are Ur-priest adaptations listed.

Among them: Serving a dead god. Amaunator is dead? Well you can join the Risen Sun heresy of the church of lathander, or you can become an ur-priest of amaunator.