PDA

View Full Version : Question about a Cleric writing enlarge person scroll (strenght domain)

kamap
2013-12-10, 08:59 AM
So I'm making a cleric with the strenght and either the destruction or death domain.

I'm thinking about taking scribe scroll and scribing a few enlarge person and other various scrolls, cause you can scribe every spell you know.

If I look at the rules, the scroll will be a divine enlarge person scroll.
I'm a divine caster and the spell I'm putting on it is enlarge person.

By the rules that would mean that no one, not even me will be able to cast the scroll unless with UMD.

Cause you can only cast a spell from a scroll if the spell is on your class list and if you are the right type of caster for the scroll.
There is no divine caster with the spell enlarge person on its class list

Am I missing something?

I would rule it this way: I would make it depend on the spell and not on the one who scribed the scroll or the class list.
If you know or could know the spell (if its on your class list), you can use the scroll.
So wizards and sorcerers could use the enlarge person scroll I scribed (and I could use the enlarge person scrolls that a wizard or sorcerer scribed), cause they know the spell.
I and other clerics with the strenght domain could use the scroll, cause they know the spell, they could prepare it.

Though I'm not the DM and if our DM uses the rules as pointed out in the PHB those scribes become useless, so I would like to find out how it does actually work and if it would be worth scribing enlarge person scrolls.

Dming For Noobs
2013-12-10, 09:01 AM
The Spell is a domain spell, so it is on your spell list

kamap
2013-12-10, 09:20 AM
True but the rules state: The user must have the spell on his or her class list.

I can indeed argue that its on my spell list.
I made the scroll so logically I should be able to cast it, but if you take the rules and applied them literally, even I wouldn't be able to cast the spell from the scroll I just made.

Let alone give it to a wizard / sorcerer and let them cast the spell, cause its a divine scroll (with an arcane spell on it or a divine version of the arcane spell, not sure) and they are arcane casters.

Chronos
2013-12-10, 11:32 AM
Yes, and spells in a domain that you have count as being on your class list.

atomicwaffle
2013-12-10, 11:48 AM
I know you can't use domain spells for spontaneous casting, so i always assumed (and played as such) that you can't use them for scribing scrolls either). If you CAN use them to scribe scrolls, this will change my play style

kamap
2013-12-11, 05:09 AM
Scribe scroll states: You can create a scroll of any spell that you know.

So I'd say that even the domain spells can be scribed cause they count as a spell you know. Though you can only write one per day, if you haven't used that spell yet, cause you need to have the spell prepared and then "cast" it on the parchement you are scribing it to.

If I've read everything concerning scrolls correctly.

So if enlarge person counts as beeing on my class list, can I then cast it from an arcane scroll or only from my own scrolls or scrolls from other clerics with the strenght domain?

Can other casters with enlarge person on their class list (wizards / sorcerers) cast the enlarge person scroll I scribed?

Is the scroll a divine scroll of enlarge person or is it an arcane scroll cause there is a arcane spell on it that has no divine variant?

Or are the rules not clear about that all and does it all depend on the DM?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-11, 05:42 AM
So if enlarge person counts as beeing on my class list, can I then cast it from an arcane scroll or only from my own scrolls or scrolls from other clerics with the strenght domain?
As a Cleric, you can only use divine scrolls of spells you know.

Can other casters with enlarge person on their class list (wizards / sorcerers) cast the enlarge person scroll I scribed?
Wizards and Sorcerers can only use arcane scrolls of spells they know.

Is the scroll a divine scroll of enlarge person ...
Yes. A Cleric can only create divine scrolls of spells they know.

AMFV
2013-12-11, 05:53 AM
As a Cleric, you can only use divine scrolls of spells you know.

Wizards and Sorcerers can only use arcane scrolls of spells they know.

Yes. A Cleric can only create divine scrolls of spells they know.

Quick nitpick, a wizard or sorcerer can use an arcane scroll of any scroll on their list regardless of knowledge.

The spell must be of the correct type (arcane or divine). Arcane spellcasters (wizards, sorcerers, and bards) can only use scrolls containing arcane spells, and divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers) can only use scrolls containing divine spells. (The type of scroll a character creates is also determined by his or her class.)
The user must have the spell on his or her class list.
The user must have the requisite ability score.

Those are the listed requirements for activating a scroll. Additionally by RAW it doesn't appear that a cleric can cast a domain spell from a scroll, as they are not on their class list.

With access to two domain spells at a given spell level, a cleric prepares one or the other each day in his domain spell slot. If a domain spell is not on the cleric spell list, a cleric can prepare it only in his domain spell slot.

This line clearly separates domain spells from those on the cleric spell list, meaning that the cleric would not be able to cast scrolls of domain spells by RAW, although this would not be something that would be unreasonable to houserule.

kamap
2013-12-11, 07:00 AM
From D20SRD

Scribe Scroll [Item Creation]
Prerequisite:
Caster level 1st.

Benefit:
You can create a scroll of any spell that you know. Scribing a scroll takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its base price. The base price of a scroll is its spell level × its caster level × 25 gp. To scribe a scroll, you must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up raw materials costing one-half of this base price.

Any scroll that stores a spell with a costly material component or an XP cost also carries a commensurate cost. In addition to the costs derived from the base price, you must expend the material component or pay the XP when scribing the scroll.

So if I read this right, I can scribe the enlarge person scroll but then not cast it from the scroll.

Or is Chronos correct when he or she states:

Yes, and spells in a domain that you have count as being on your class list.

ps: If I have a day downtime, can I then scribe all my prepared spells on scrolls, as long as it doesn't cost more then 1000GP or is there a maximum?

Can I for example scribe 80 12.5GP scrolls in a day if I had enough spell slots for it, cause 1000GP takes 1 day and 80*12.5=1000.

AMFV
2013-12-11, 07:07 AM
So if I read this right, I can scribe the enlarge person scroll but then not cast it from the scroll.

Or is Chronos correct when he or she states:

You can see from the direct quote from the SRD, that that is not correct RAW, while it's kind of dumb it isn't. I think that then you would have made a scroll that RAW nobody could cast, which is kind of sad.

kamap
2013-12-11, 07:19 AM
So the one who wrote the rules didn't think that true, I can write scrolls that no one can use if the DM goes by RAW.

So I guess me and our DM will have to discuss this and come out with something we can work with or get someone from WotC to clarify it ^^

Khedrac
2013-12-11, 07:22 AM
You can see from the direct quote from the SRD, that that is not correct RAW, while it's kind of dumb it isn't. I think that then you would have made a scroll that RAW nobody could cast, which is kind of sad.
Yes another example of broken RAW, but your local Archivist will pay you for the scroll and either add it to his prayer book or keep for emergencies.

AMFV
2013-12-11, 07:30 AM
Yes another example of broken RAW, but your local Archivist will pay you for the scroll and either add it to his prayer book or keep for emergencies.

Right, I forgot about those cheaters. Well that's something they could certainly use in any case.

kamap
2013-12-11, 08:02 AM
Maybe something else that might clarify this, lets look at it from a different angle.

Is a domain spell really known or is it just granted by the god / faith / whatever that grants you the power over that domain?

So maybe atomicwaffle was thinking along the right lines and you can't scribe domain spells onto a scroll.

If that is the case I would love to know where to find it, then I can put this behind me and not be bothered about it, if it can't be found I'll have to talk to our DM and see where we go from there.

Something else I'm wondering is how many scrolls you can write per day.
All your spell slots as long as the price doesn't go over 1000GP?
Or is there a maximum written somewhere?

AMFV
2013-12-11, 08:11 AM
Maybe something else that might clarify this, lets look at it from a different angle.

Is a domain spell really known or is it just granted by the god / faith / whatever that grants you the power over that domain?

So maybe atomicwaffle was thinking along the right lines and you can't scribe domain spells onto a scroll.

If that is the case I would love to know where to find it, then I can put this behind me and not be bothered about it, if it can't be found I'll have to talk to our DM and see where we go from there.

Something else I'm wondering is how many scrolls you can write per day.
All your spell slots as long as the price doesn't go over 1000GP?
Or is there a maximum written somewhere?

Actually according to the glossary of terms, clerics don't have spells known nor do any divine casters. According to RAW (the scroll thing you linked) no divine caster can scribe scrolls.

That is pretty messed up, and clearly dysfunctional, since there are divine scrolls that exist, that cannot have been their intention.

kamap
2013-12-11, 08:20 AM
Also in the human cleric starting package, he gets the feat scribe scroll.
So they give their own starting example a not working feat, nice.

So actually the rules for scribing and using a scroll are broken here and there and we should all discuss with our DM how we are gonna patch up those rules.

Cause in this case you can't really use the RAW else like you said no divine caster could write a scroll.

So now its defining what that "known" means in the scribe scroll feat:
Every spell that you can cast, even if it comes from your domain.
Every spell on your class list of spells excluding the ones from your domain.

I would still like an answer on how many scrolls per day you can scribe.

AMFV
2013-12-11, 08:24 AM
Also in the human cleric starting package, he gets the feat scribe scroll.
So they give their own starting example a not working feat, nice.

So actually the rules for scribing and using a scroll are broken here and there and we should all discuss with our DM how we are gonna patch up those rules.

Cause in this case you can't really use the RAW else like you said no divine caster could write a scroll.

So now its defining what that "known" means in the scribe scroll feat:
Every spell that you can cast, even if it comes from your domain.
Every spell on your class list of spells excluding the ones from your domain.

I would still like an answer on how many scrolls per day you can scribe.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm

There you go, that should have everything you need.

The casting of scrolls is simple, that's your class list, regardless of spells known, the scribing is the issue, since that uses spells known and that's defined as being explicitly for arcane casters. So that's flat-out dysfunctional RAW.

kamap
2013-12-11, 09:00 AM
Nope it isn't stated in there anywhere, it says you work for 8 hours a day and can't make the process faster by working longer.

To scribe a scroll it takes 1 day for every 1000GP in its base price.

So I'm guessing that if you just count the 8 hours and the 1000GP

You could scribe 1000/8= 125GP worth an hour.

Would be cool though, then every time you go and rest after a long day of adventuring and you have some spells left over you could write some scrolls.

ps: Could you just switch all the spells you have left over to spontaniously cast heal / inflict spells and scribe those?

Joe the Rat
2013-12-11, 09:29 AM
I would say no, as you do not have it memorized. You are changing the spell out as you are casting it.

My interpretation on the scroll issue would be that clerics with the Strength Domain - or any other hypothetical Domain that includes Enlarge Person, or Archivists could use the scroll without UMD.

Although this does bring up a curious question: Are there any other RAW situations where you could scribe a scroll (or whittle a wand) that you could not yourself use?

And for the final trick, what about bards?

AMFV
2013-12-11, 09:33 AM
I would say no, as you do not have it memorized. You are changing the spell out as you are casting it.

My interpretation on the scroll issue would be that clerics with the Strength Domain - or any other hypothetical Domain that includes Enlarge Person, or Archivists could use the scroll without UMD.

Although this does bring up a curious question: Are there any other RAW situations where you could scribe a scroll (or whittle a wand) that you could not yourself use?

And for the final trick, what about bards?

Not only can you not use it, but RAW nobody can scribe it, without southern magician or alternative spell source.

kamap
2013-12-11, 09:48 AM
If you indeed can scribe scrolls from your domain spells there are a whole number of spells that by RAW (if we skip the point that as a cleric by RAW you couldn't write any scroll) if written on a scroll by a cleric no one could use, any spell that is on the arcane list but not on the divine list, is subject to this.

Magic domain scrolls for example.

I'm not sure about wands and the like but if they use the same decription on how to use said wand then yeah it counts for wands aswell.

Say I whitle a wand of enlarge person (or any arcane spell that I get from a domain that isn't on the divine list) if the wand requires me to have the spell on my class list, then I can't use said wand except with UMD.

I can't seem to find the right explanation how to use a wand now though, so I'm not sure how wands work.

Dalebert
2013-12-11, 09:56 AM
Somewhere, I'm pretty sure it says that magic items always take at least a day to make. I've always house-ruled otherwise and allowed fractions because I don't think most anything that takes less than a day is worth a whole day of work. I've even gone so far as to say an item worth 1500gp takes 1 and a half days.

Scrolls and potions are horribly inefficient and of questionable value as ways to store up extra spells, IMHO. That doesn't mean they're useless, but I've always viewed them as a way to have spells on hand that you might desperately need in a very specific situation but it's not common enough to waste a spell slot on all the time. An example would be restoration or stone to flesh. Even then, the price is hard to justify. It just doesn't seem worthwhile to waste a feat on them. Just buy the scrolls. It's fine if you have a wizard who gets it as a bonus feat.

If you want lots of enlarge person spells and are willing to blow cash on it, buy a wand of it. Consider an eternal wand (twice per day unlimited charges).

Just my thoughts.

I would house rule that you can't scribe domain spells. They seem more like powers than spell-casting. If you "know" the spell, you'd be able to prepare it normally but you can't.

Chronos
2013-12-11, 10:13 AM
Wands are a little less problematic, since they don't distinguish between arcane and divine. So if a cleric makes a wand of enlarge person, a wizard can certainly use it.

And there are a few divine casters who have spells known. Favored Souls do, and I'm pretty sure that Spirit Shamans are phrased that way, too.

kamap
2013-12-11, 10:41 AM
Thats true chronos but the cleric can't use the wand he created (unless he does UMD), cause the spell isn't on his class list, which is illogical but RAW.

I might buy a wand of enlarge person but then I first need to know if I can cast the spell from the wand without using UMD.
Still I think I'll be taking scribe scroll anyway, taking a 1 lvl dip in fighter for a bonus feat so as a human fighter I'll have 3 feats and then at lvl 3 (cleric lvl 2) I'll take scribe scroll for the oops I needed that spell but didn't prepare it happenings and also more buffing to hand out in the party, or I'll have to buy a whole range of wands or have everyone chip in.

Then again the human cleric starting package states scribe scroll as first feat, so the creators gave the cleric a non usable feat or we must read "known spells" differently.

From the PHB: A cleric prepares one or the other each day in his domain spell slot.
So he does prepare his domains spells like any other spell, he just has fewer choises to choose from, its 1 or the other, not a bunch of spells.

Dalebert
2013-12-11, 11:41 AM
So he does prepare his domains spells like any other spell, he just has fewer choises to choose from, its 1 or the other, not a bunch of spells.

No, he doesn't prepare it "just like any other spell". That would mean he could prepare them in any slot. He can't. He has one slot per level for them and it has to be a domain spell. That's what I mean when I say he doesn't prepare them "normally".

That said, I just re-read the use of spell completion items, e.g. scrolls, and it says if you're high enough level and in the right class to cast the spell. It doesn't specifically say it has to be on your class spell list.

I think both by RAW and RAI, this would include domain spells. In fact, there's room to interpret that wording (though I wouldn't) such that other clerics could use your scroll even if they don't have that domain because they're in the right class; just not the right domain, which is not specified as a prerequisite.

AMFV
2013-12-11, 11:45 AM
Thats true chronos but the cleric can't use the wand he created (unless he does UMD), cause the spell isn't on his class list, which is illogical but RAW.

I might buy a wand of enlarge person but then I first need to know if I can cast the spell from the wand without using UMD.
Still I think I'll be taking scribe scroll anyway, taking a 1 lvl dip in fighter for a bonus feat so as a human fighter I'll have 3 feats and then at lvl 3 (cleric lvl 2) I'll take scribe scroll for the oops I needed that spell but didn't prepare it happenings and also more buffing to hand out in the party, or I'll have to buy a whole range of wands or have everyone chip in.

Then again the human cleric starting package states scribe scroll as first feat, so the creators gave the cleric a non usable feat or we must read "known spells" differently.

From the PHB: A cleric prepares one or the other each day in his domain spell slot.

The creators continually have jacked-up what feats are usable or not. I think the error is in Scribe Scroll itself and the glossary here, but the RAW is pretty clear, just really messed up. Since by the RAW there should be no divine scrolls at all.

His Domain spells are like any other spell but they are not added to the class list, which is the issue in question. I personally think that spell trigger items off the domains is absolutely fine, and would rule it so were I DMing, but it is not the RAW in this case.

Edit: Corrected to note that spell trigger items are off "his or her spell list" not "his or her class spell list" so those RAW are okay. Oddly enough.

Dalebert
2013-12-11, 12:00 PM
By the same wording, you should be able to use a wand of enlarge person. Under usage of spell trigger items in the DMG, it says "your" spell list; not your "class" spell list. Your domain spells are on your spell list.

AMFV
2013-12-11, 12:02 PM
By the same wording, you should be able to use a wand of enlarge person. Under usage of spell trigger items in the DMG, it says "your" spell list; not your "class" spell list. Your domain spells are on your spell list.

Yep, wands are cool, I actually was confusing them with the scrolls from earlier, which are kind of lame. But wands should be good.

I would make the same ruling for scrolls though.

Dalebert
2013-12-11, 12:09 PM
I would make the same ruling for scrolls though.

Yes, that obviously changes how I would handle this as a DM. I would rule that having the right domain is also a prereq for using spell completion items. I think that fits RAI. But strictly per RAW, it's not. Any cleric can use a scroll safely if he's high enough level to cast the spell and it's on any domain list for clerics because his class can cast the spell.

AMFV
2013-12-11, 12:13 PM
Yes, that obviously changes how I would handle this as a DM. I would rule that having the right domain is also a prereq for using spell completion items. I think that fits RAI. But strictly per RAW, it's not. Any cleric can use a scroll safely if he's high enough level to cast the spell and it's on any domain list for clerics because his class can cast the spell.

Negative, Domains are explicitly not part of the class list, as you'll see from the section I linked earlier, I believe my first or second post where there is that distinction made. So clerics can't use scrolls from any domain list even if they have it.'

With access to two domain spells at a given spell level, a cleric prepares one or the other each day in his domain spell slot. If a domain spell is not on the cleric spell list, a cleric can prepare it only in his domain spell slot.

There it is again, bold mine, added for emphasis, we can see the domain spells are not officially on the cleric class list.

Dalebert
2013-12-11, 12:27 PM
Negative, Domains are explicitly not part of the class list

Yes. I concede that, but it's not relevant. Nowhere in the DMG description of using spell completion items does it specify something being on your class spell list as a prerequisite. You're adding something that's not in the RAW. If you found that established somewhere else, that's fine.

To use a spell completion item safely, a character must be of high enough level in the right class to cast the spell already.

Any cleric is in the right class to cast the spell; just not necessarily in the right domain. And if you want to consider RAI, it goes on to say

If he can’t already cast the spell, there’s a chance he’ll make
a mistake

So if it's on his domain list, there's no chance he'll make a mistake.

AMFV
2013-12-11, 12:29 PM
Yes. I concede that. It's not relevant though because nowhere in the DMG description of using spell completion items does it specify something being on your class spell list as a prerequisite. You're adding something that's not in the RAW.

It is for scrolls.

To have any chance of activating a scroll spell, the scroll user must meet the following requirements.

The spell must be of the correct type (arcane or divine). Arcane spellcasters (wizards, sorcerers, and bards) can only use scrolls containing arcane spells, and divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers) can only use scrolls containing divine spells. (The type of scroll a character creates is also determined by his or her class.)
The user must have the spell on his or her class list.
The user must have the requisite ability score.

Emphasis mine, and this was shared earlier in the thread. I realize that it isn't for wands, but for scrolls it most certainly is.

Dalebert
2013-12-11, 12:48 PM
Alright. I was looking at the description from both the DMG and the MiC and I assumed someone had made a mistake. I should probably get in the habit of looking things up in the SRD first. They'd probably be easier to find anyway.

AMFV
2013-12-11, 12:55 PM
Alright. I was looking at the description from both the DMG and the MiC and I assumed someone had made a mistake. I should probably get in the habit of looking things up in the SRD first. They'd probably be easier to find anyway.

It's alright, I did the same thing with the spell trigger thing.

kamap
2013-12-12, 04:43 AM
So I asked WotC about it and there reply was sorry we can't help you unless its a question about , here is a whole fricking long list of errata and the likes look it up maybe you'll find what you are looking for.

So I'm now in the process of reading but haven't found anything, I'll think the DM will have to decide what to do about it and set the rules herself.

In the FAQ of 3.5 I found this:
Can my cleric of Pelor activate a wand of holy smite if he
doesn’t have the Good domain? After all, it’s on his deity’s
list of domain spells, so that’s the same as being on my
character’s spell list, right?
Wrong. Your character’s domain spells are indeed treated
as being on your class spell list for the purpose of using wands,
scrolls, and similar items, but that applies only for spells in
domains that your character has actually chosen. If you haven’t
selected the domain as one of your two domains, the spells of
that domain aren’t considered on your spell list (unless they’re
already on your spell list from your class, such as aid, which is
on all clerics’ spell lists and not just the spell lists of clerics
with the Good or Luck domain).

Further I also found this:
According to the rules, creating a magic item takes one
day per 1,000 gp in its base cost, with a minimum of one
day. The random scroll generation charts in the Dungeon
Master’s Guide state that a scroll could have up to six spells
on it. Does this mean that when I create a scroll I can place
six spells on it? Does it count as one scroll or six for
purposes of item creation (in other words, should it take
one day or six)?
A scroll with multiple spells counts as a single item for the
purpose of determining the time to create it. A divine scroll
with six castings of cure light wounds (market price 150 gp)
would take 1 day to scribe; a divine scroll with six castings of
heal (market price 9,900 gp) would take 10 days to scribe.
You’d need to expend (and prepare, if that’s required by
your class) the spell once for each time it appears on the scroll.
The act of scribing cure light wounds the first time onto a scroll
expends cure light wounds, which means you’d need to have
another one prepared to scribe it again.

So I can write the scroll and use the scroll and other clerics with the strenght domain can use the scroll aswell but no other casters can use the scroll unless they are some sort of divine caster with the power to cast enlarge person from a divine scroll (like an archivist I believe).

So it appears that 1 scroll takes one day (if the cost is less then 1000GP), no matter what but I can put 6 spells on one scroll and it still takes a standard action to use the scroll.

I bet you can strap scrolls to your belt or inside a small compartement of your backpack / clothes so its only a move action to retrieve it.

AMFV
2013-12-12, 04:59 AM
So I asked WotC about it and there reply was sorry we can't help you unless its a question about , here is a whole fricking long list of errata and the likes look it up maybe you'll find what you are looking for.

So I'm now in the process of reading but haven't found anything, I'll think the DM will have to decide what to do about it and set the rules herself.

In the FAQ of 3.5 I found this:
Can my cleric of Pelor activate a wand of holy smite if he
doesn’t have the Good domain? After all, it’s on his deity’s
list of domain spells, so that’s the same as being on my
character’s spell list, right?
Wrong. Your character’s domain spells are indeed treated
as being on your class spell list for the purpose of using wands,
scrolls, and similar items, but that applies only for spells in
domains that your character has actually chosen. If you haven’t
selected the domain as one of your two domains, the spells of
that domain aren’t considered on your spell list (unless they’re
already on your spell list from your class, such as aid, which is
on all clerics’ spell lists and not just the spell lists of clerics
with the Good or Luck domain).

So I can write the scroll and use the scroll and other clerics with the strenght domain can use the scroll aswell but no other casters can use the scroll unless they are some sort of divine caster with the power to cast enlarge person from a divine scroll (like an archivist I believe).

You have to remember the FAQ isn't RAW and in this case directly contradicts the RAW. Although for spell triggers you should be fine. It's just different for scrolls, I would ask your DM about it, since it's a reasonable house rule.

kamap
2013-12-12, 05:57 AM
Its not RAW but its from WotC who are the makers of the game and it might be in some errata somewhere.
At least I have a place I can point my DM to and say, hey WotC believes it should work like this.

AMFV
2013-12-12, 07:40 AM
Its not RAW but its from WotC who are the makers of the game and it might be in some errata somewhere.
At least I have a place I can point my DM to and say, hey WotC believes it should work like this.

You can point to the fact that divine scrolls exist to show that they think divine casters should be able to scribe scrolls. As to the rest it's not clear if that's what WOTC intended. It's clear that it isn't what they wrote, despite what the sage said, I would accept the sage ruling and he might as well though.

kamap
2013-12-12, 07:51 AM
The faq comes from WotC, they wrote it, so I think (and hope) they ment it that way, would be silly to write it and not mean it. :smallsmile:

I'm still not sure if its in a official errata but its at least in an official document from WotC.

Duke of Urrel
2013-12-12, 10:25 AM
I'm with Kamap.

The RAW may be a little vague on the question of whether domain spells really are part of THE cleric's class list, generally speaking. But if you're a specific cleric, and you have a specific domain, surely the spells in that domain do effectively belong to your own specific class list. Domain spells certainly don't belong on any class list other than the cleric's, though many domain spells can also be found on other class lists, which is nothing unusual. And if domain spells didn't belong on the cleric's class list, then at least a few of them (the divine version of the Gaseous Form spell, for example) would have the unique distinction among spells of not belonging to the list of any character class at all.

So, in conclusion: If you're a cleric, and you have a particular domain, and you also have the Scribe Scroll feat, then I think it's quite safe to assume that you can scribe magic scrolls with the spells in your domain that you can prepare and cast.

This is not rule-abuse, and it's not even excessive rule-stretching. It's making an assumption that most people would make automatically, and even if they don't, I think most will agree that it is reasonable.

Dalebert
2013-12-12, 11:11 AM
I bet you can strap scrolls to your belt or inside a small compartement of your backpack / clothes so its only a move action to retrieve it.

Check out the Infinite Scrollcase from MiC.

If you have at least a +1 base attack bonus, you can retrieve a scroll from an infinite scrollcaseas part of a move action, similar to drawing a weapon.

I'm glad to hear that six spells can be on one scroll and it counts as one item. That makes scribing lower level spells a little more worthwhile. Is there a level limit on that or can you put six level 9 spells on one scroll?

AMFV
2013-12-12, 07:29 PM
I'm with Kamap.

The RAW may be a little vague on the question of whether domain spells really are part of THE cleric's class list, generally speaking. But if you're a specific cleric, and you have a specific domain, surely the spells in that domain do effectively belong to your own specific class list. Domain spells certainly don't belong on any class list other than the cleric's, though many domain spells can also be found on other class lists, which is nothing unusual. And if domain spells didn't belong on the cleric's class list, then at least a few of them (the divine version of the Gaseous Form spell, for example) would have the unique distinction among spells of not belonging to the list of any character class at all.

So, in conclusion: If you're a cleric, and you have a particular domain, and you also have the Scribe Scroll feat, then I think it's quite safe to assume that you can scribe magic scrolls with the spells in your domain that you can prepare and cast.

This is not rule-abuse, and it's not even excessive rule-stretching. It's making an assumption that most people would make automatically, and even if they don't, I think most will agree that it is reasonable.

Definitely that is the most reasonable assumption. It isn't exactly in line with RAW however, which in this case is self-contradictory and stupid. I would ask your DM regarding scrolls since those are the ones that are keyed off the class list and not the specific list. Trigger items are fine though RAW.

Scribing scrolls is something you're going to have to talk about anyways, that should generally work in your favor though since that's actually a dysfunctional rule rather than just a dumb rule.

Chronos
2013-12-12, 10:31 PM
Actually, I think each domain might count as a separate class spell list. Consider, for instance, the listing of the level of a spell: The level of Enlarge Person is sor/wiz 1, strength 1. It's a first-level spell on the sor/wiz list, and it's a first-level spell on the strength list. This would mean that a standard cleric actually has three different "class spell lists".

Gwendol
2013-12-13, 04:24 AM
That sounds like a good rule for treating domain spells and regular spells.

kamap
2013-12-13, 05:29 AM
Indeed sounds as a good rule.
I hope my DM agrees.

You can scribe 6 lvl 9 spells on a scroll but that will be one costly scroll and will take a whole lot of days, every 1000GP a scroll is worth means 1 days work but every scroll takes 1 days even if it costs 12.5GP (cheapest scribe scroll available, which I think is silly but those are the rules, same as with crafting the time used for making a simple dagger is way to high in my oppinion and making something as difficult as a katana is way to easy) though if you talk to your DM I think you can work something out, to speed up the process.
You will also have to prepare the spells you want to scribe (or know them).

So for my example I could make a scroll with 1*enlarge person and 5*cure light wounds on it, on any given day that I have 8h of free time, a good well lit calm place to do my work, enough money to buy the stuff I need to scribe a scroll and 6 open spell slots that can hold the spells I want to scribe and then prepare those spells.