PDA

View Full Version : Misdirection Versus _____? [3.5]

Duke of Urrel
2013-12-10, 09:35 AM
I have some questions concerning the relative power of illusions compared to other schools of magic. My questions mostly revolve around the Misdirection spell.

1. How does the Undetectable Alignment spell interact with the Misdirection spell if you cast both spells upon yourself? Does the Undetectable Alignment spell work as a fallback defense if the Misdirection fails? Or does the Undetectable Alignment spell stop the Misdirection spell from working at all?

For example, suppose you're a Chaotic-Neutral beguiler. This morning, you cast the Undetectable Alignment spell upon yourself, but then you found a magic item with a Lawful alignment – let's say an Axiomatic short sword +1. You would like to use this object to make your own alignment aura seem to be Lawful, using the Misdirection spell. Must you dispel the Undetectable Alignment spell (or wait until it expires) before the Misdirection spell will work? Or does the Undetectable Alignment spell provide a fallback defense – making you seem ethically Neutral rather than Chaotic – if somebody makes a Will save against the Misdirection spell?

2a. How does the Misdirection spell interact with the Glyph of Warding spell? Does the Misdirection spell automatically fool a Glyph? Does a Glyph automatically see through Misdirection? Does a Glyph get to make a Will save?

2b. In a related question, if the Mislead spell can fool a Glyph – and I believe it can only if the Glyph is triggered by trespass, not if it is triggered by touch – then can the Major Image spell fool a Glyph? What about the Veil spell? Does a Glyph get to make a Will save against these illusions?

3. How does the Misdirection spell interact with the various Symbol spells?

I am concerned about faithfulness to the RAW, balance among the schools of magic, and fluff, in that order. All opinions are welcome, but I will be most interested in the justifications that you offer.

EDIT: I'm going to shorten and simplify this question. I think I've consulted the Playground about Glyphs and Symbols before; I only forgot to make a note of it. I'm not going to change my house rules about those. But the question of how the Misdirection spell interacts with the Undetectable Alignment spell is new, and I think I'll post it again.