PDA

View Full Version : So I Am In Need Of A Pen Name

Thunderfist12
2013-12-10, 09:53 AM
What the title says. Basically, I'm about to start writing my book today, but I still haven't come up with a believable pen name that is to my liking.

Something that sounds like an author of fantasy/dystopia books would fit well, especially one that sounds Norse, Celtic, or just plain awesome.

Thank you in advance,

Thunderfist12

Elemental
2013-12-10, 10:18 AM
Can't think of anything else, but you might be able to do something with the name Taranis. It's Celtic and awesome.

Morph Bark
2013-12-10, 10:20 AM
Why do you want to use a pen name, rather than your real name?

A reason for it is perhaps the most important part about it. Most writers I know of that have used pen names have used alterations of their real name, and it is what I would do. (Primarily so that it'd at least be readable by native English speakers.)

Thunderfist12
2013-12-10, 10:21 AM
Can't think of anything else, but you might be able to do something with the name Taranis. It's Celtic and awesome.

That. Is. Cool.:smallcool:

By the way, would that be pronounced ter-AN-is or TARE-in-is?

But, as usual, still seeing if there are any other suggestions.

Thunderfist12
2013-12-10, 10:23 AM
Why do you want to use a pen name, rather than your real name?

A reason for it is perhaps the most important part about it. Most writers I know of that have used pen names have used alterations of their real name, and it is what I would do. (Primarily so that it'd at least be readable by native English speakers.)

Because I don't like my last name. At all.

I could use my first name with a false last name, however...

Elemental
2013-12-10, 10:24 AM

No idea. Though I assume the stress is on the first syllable as it comes from the word "taran" which was an old Celtic word for thunder. In any case, you can pronounce it however you want to.

Thunderfist12
2013-12-10, 10:27 AM
No idea. Though I assume the stress is on the first syllable as it comes from the word "taran" which was an old Celtic word for thunder. In any case, you can pronounce it however you want to.

That sounds about right.

warty goblin
2013-12-10, 12:52 PM
Worry about the name after you have the book. One of these is a lot harder than the other; and is only needful conditional on the completion of the first.

Axiomatic
2013-12-10, 01:14 PM
Your first name should be Nils. Your surname...how do you feel about Magnusson?

Thunderfist12
2013-12-10, 01:17 PM
Nils is literally one letter off from my real name, so probably not.

Magnusson might work, though.

The combination Tharanis Magnusson is a bit long, though. I might need to change one of those.

Axiomatic
2013-12-10, 01:20 PM

Really? Oh wow, that's amazing.

EDIT: You probably shouldn't mix a celtic first name with a swedish surname anyway.

BWR
2013-12-10, 01:31 PM
Why not?
I mean, if someone can call himself Engelbert Humperdinck...

Dallas-Dakota
2013-12-10, 02:38 PM
Penny Pencilman.....

Oh....

You wanted a believable pen name....

Savannah
2013-12-10, 03:20 PM
Write the book, sell it to a publisher, then ask their advice on names. I'm quite sure they know what names are most likely to sell well (just ask J. K. Rowling :smallannoyed:).

McStabbington
2013-12-10, 03:28 PM
MST3K has a few suggestions (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY). Like Bob Johnson!

Coidzor
2013-12-10, 03:47 PM

The combination Tharanis Magnusson is a bit long, though. I might need to change one of those.

T. Magnusson on the other hand... :smallamused:

The Extinguisher
2013-12-10, 04:44 PM
I would read any book written by anyone named Thunderfist, so there's that.

TaiLiu
2013-12-10, 06:51 PM
I recommend Doctor Doomblood!

Just... Just pretend it's of Norse origin.

The Witch-King
2013-12-10, 06:57 PM

http://www.forvo.com/word/taranis/

GoblinArchmage
2013-12-10, 07:22 PM
Stop procrastinating, and start writing the damn book.

Creed
2013-12-10, 08:55 PM
Steve Thunderfist. :smalltongue:

In all seriousness, though, how about Balder Kriez?

'Neath the Moon
2013-12-10, 09:20 PM
Remember, the middle initials "R.R." will bring you to great places.

Now, that said, Germano-Nordo-Celtic names...

Edrik, Ulfrik, Torvald, Heinrich, Asbjorn, Torbjorn, Bjorn, Bjarn, Bodvar, Grimnir, Fenrir, Fafnir, Ragnar, Edvard, Karl, Viglaf, Finn (both Nordic and Celtic,) Finbar, Gwydion, Taliesin, and Vortigern (one of my favorites.)

Most of those are Norse (or pseudo-Norse, I may have misremembered or made up some, or taken the names from Skyrim,) but a few are Irish or Welsh.

Axiomatic
2013-12-11, 02:36 AM
You have to go the extra mile. Three R's as your middle initials.

Edric R. R. R. Magnusson.

Cespenar
2013-12-11, 03:39 AM
You have to go the extra mile. Three R's as your middle initials.

Edric R. R. R. Magnusson.

No, no, that sounds... desperate. You need to give it your own twist. Like... Ps instead of Rs, for example. Edric P. P. Magnusson.

Morph Bark
2013-12-11, 09:01 AM
Just as long as you don't use any of my names. :smalltongue:

/has 7 initials

Iruka
2013-12-11, 02:48 PM

Your name is Pils?

I always liked the word "svartálfar".

Aurenthal
2013-12-11, 03:03 PM
How about Rich Burlew, it has certain ring of greatness!

Jaycemonde
2013-12-11, 08:45 PM
Jason T. [Taranis] Magnusson.
Alternately, J. T. Magnusson.

Jay R
2013-12-11, 11:39 PM
You do not need a pen name the day you start writing your book. You need a pen name the day you finish writing your book.

Evandar
2013-12-12, 02:07 AM
Pen names are cool though, and what is life without coolness? Boring.

I favor Doomblood.

Jay R
2013-12-13, 12:13 PM
By the time you finish your book, you will have a much better idea of what its author's name should be than when you start.

In researching character names, you will quite possibly find one you really like, and can't use in the book.

Thunderfist12
2013-12-14, 12:52 PM
So many names...

Ragnar T. Eiriksson, I'm thinking now. With the T being Taranis.

Or Taranis Thunderfist.:smallbiggrin:

Also, no, my name isn't Pils. Guess again.

Ridureyu
2013-12-14, 05:19 PM
I actually have a reason to want a pen name. See, I am related to somebody who writes Christian theology - and I do not want to hurt his reputation with urban fantasy/vampire fiction (http://nanowrimo.org/participants/ridureyu/novels), nor do I want him to hurt mine. We write in 100% different fields, so "John Morey" just might not be good.

What should I do?

TaiLiu
2013-12-14, 06:15 PM
I favor Doomblood.
Yes! (No further words necessary.)

Jay R
2013-12-14, 09:01 PM
I actually have a reason to want a pen name. See, I am related to somebody who writes Christian theology - and I do not want to hurt his reputation with urban fantasy/vampire fiction (http://nanowrimo.org/participants/ridureyu/novels), nor do I want him to hurt mine. We write in 100% different fields, so "John Morey" just might not be good.

What should I do?

Finish the book, find a publisher, and ask for your editor's advice. He or she will have a lot more experience about what sells that the Playground does.

GoblinArchmage
2013-12-14, 09:27 PM
How about Richard Head? Or Benjamin Dover?

Aliquid
2013-12-15, 12:08 AM
Why not?
I mean, if someone can call himself Engelbert Humperdinck...

And his name was originally Arnold Dorsey.... he decided on the stage name Engelbert Humperdinck, and he built a huge fan following...

Crow
2013-12-15, 06:55 PM
Johnny Hardcore

Pie Guy
2013-12-18, 10:31 AM
Clearly the answer is BRAD THOR.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-12-18, 12:45 PM
You do not need a pen name the day you start writing your book. You need a pen name the day you finish writing your book.

This. This so hard. A pen name should be the absolute last thing on your mind.

bluewind95
2013-12-18, 03:36 PM
I honestly don't see the harm in finding a pen name before he starts writing, so long as he doesn't hold off writing until he finds his perfect pen name.

Crow
2013-12-19, 01:07 AM
I honestly don't see the harm in finding a pen name before he starts writing, so long as he doesn't hold off writing until he finds his perfect pen name.

Yeah, so when his book gets turned down he can tell himself, "Oh man, rejected. That must be hard for Johnny Hardcore. But I'm sure he'll pull through and nail the next one!"