PDA

View Full Version : Bludgeoning weapon optimization

tricktroller
2013-12-10, 10:43 AM
Ok folks of the playground,
I have been looking at a lot of different cool things available to pump bludgeoning weapons so I thought I'd list a few and see what we can do to combine as many as possible.

Battlesmith gets +wis to damage (this is not best by far but is easier than most to get since its an easy prc)

Shillelagh makes a quarterstaff do 2d6 and is increaseable by size.

Mighty wallop/greater mighty wallop increases size by 1 and 1 per 4 caster levels.

The problem I have found with all of these is that they all come from different things!

Shillelagh is druid only, greater mighty wallop is sorc/wiz only and I was hoping to be a cleric for righteous might whilst wearing strongarm bracers.... So can anyone help make this work?

I was thinking I would take a vow of poverty as well, and yes I understand it isn't optimized but I am mostly worried about the melee damage being optimized form a quarterstaff. I think the flavor of a dude with nothing but a stick breaking dragon's backs would be fun.

Gwendol
2013-12-10, 10:49 AM
Brambles?
Three mountain style feat.

Joe the Rat
2013-12-10, 10:54 AM
I thought about three mountain, but is specifies heavy mace, morningstar, or greatclub. That'd take a bit o' houseruling.

Are you trying to keep to using a normal stick, or would you consider weapon enchantments?

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-10, 10:54 AM
Archivist can get access to both druid and cleric spells. Now we get greater mighty wallop through anyspell (long duration buff, you can eat a 10min casting time)

Then you dip a PRC granting turn or rebuke undead and pick up DMM persist for making all those nice personal buffs like divine power last all day.

tricktroller
2013-12-10, 11:02 AM
Archivist from heroes of horror? Interesting.

What level is anyspell? This guy will be starting from first level. I like the idea of using a simple stick and as I said I would like to take a vow of poverty. Again I know it isn't optimized but I like the concept.

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-10, 11:13 AM
Anyspell is a 3rd level spell that lets you prepare any 2nd or lower arcane spell. Greater anyspell is a 6th level spell that lets you prepare any 5th level or lower arcane spell.

Normally anyspell requires the spell domain, but as a divine spell, an archivist can simply acquire a scroll and copy it into his prayerbook.

tricktroller
2013-12-10, 11:21 AM
Ok so help me set up a VoP archivist with the stats 18,18,18,14,10,11 that will be a melee monster for most of his career starting at level 1.

Karnith
2013-12-10, 11:32 AM
VoP archivist
This is a problem, in case you weren't aware. Archivists use prayerbooks, which are essentially divine versions of spellbooks, to prepare their spells. VoP has a very short list of possessions that you are allowed, and prayerbooks aren't one of them. And unlike Wizards with their spellbooks, Archivists don't have an easy way to do without their prayerbooks.

tricktroller
2013-12-10, 12:47 PM
I'm sure I could talk my DM into allowing it, not hard to make the argument that these are prayers to my god and thus are not subject to the rule of vow of poverty. I need to prayers to spread my god's word and to bring others to the vow. Or I could have the prayers tattooed to me or something. However my dm would want it.

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-10, 01:07 PM
You will need to keep a prayer book (it would be easy to explain to your DM that it is a spellbook) AND a spellbook of wizard spells (may be harder to talk your DM into) for anyspell to work.

For stats

Race - Grey elven

Str 16, Dex 16, Con 8, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 18

Fairy mysteries initiate feat for Int to HP in place of con.

Flaws - Shaky, Vulnerable (-2 to ranged attacks, -1 to AC)
Flaw Feats - Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty

Class levels
Arcivist 19, or suitable full casting PRC. 1-10 level dip in Sacred Exorcist (first level at level 8) for turn undead.

What you are going for in Divine Meta Magic: persist, so you need extend spell, persist spell, and DMM persist, so that sounds like feat 3, 6, and 9.

Look up all the really nice paladin spells for fighting in melee, and all the nice ranger spells that are at very low level compared to cleric or druid. They are divine casting as well, so you can draw from their lists.

Donate your wealth to a charitable cause that can return good favors, like permenancy and spellcasting services. You CAN benefit from permanent spells, and you CAN get rewarded for your donations with services from the organisation you donate to, so find a wizard's guild dedicated to making libraries available to all towns everywhere and save up donation credits for permanent spells and castings of wish for inherent bonuses.

tricktroller
2013-12-10, 01:55 PM
sow ill this guy be able to casts spikes as well as shillelagh and righteous might on his quarterstaff?

animewatcha
2013-12-10, 02:06 PM
Any particular reason for quarterstaff versus any simple weapon ( if I remember the feat right )?

Menzath
2013-12-10, 02:32 PM
okay so here are a few feats that make using bludgeoning weapons a lot better.
The Crux though is that most are fighter feats and therefore have weapon specialization as a preq.
Pulverize http://dndtools.eu/feats/champions-of-ruin--27/pulverize-foe--2304/
Lightning Mace http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-warrior--61/lightning-mace--1770/
Crushing Strike http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-handbook-ii--80/crushing-strike--490/

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-10, 02:36 PM
If it is a divine spell, an archivist can cast it. They are a little awesome.

Fighter feats? Sounds like a job for heroics! Grants one fighter bonus feat.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-10, 02:47 PM
The earth hammer spell (Races of Stone 162) might deserve a look. Short duration, but if one can sort out which size increases stack and which don't, it can be useful. Also has some secondary effects that are pretty nifty; makes any weapon deal bludgeoning damage, and makes the weapon count as adamantine (which is curious, cause I'm pretty sure they established adamantine as a form of meteoric metal...not particularly in-fluff with a name like "earth" hammer).

tricktroller
2013-12-10, 02:50 PM
The reason for quarterstaff is because of shillelagh and the 1.5x strength to damage. Change form 1d6 to 2d6 for a 1st level spell, and then increase size from there.