PDA

View Full Version : Retraining at Level 1?

thorr-kan
2013-12-10, 12:26 PM
In thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16589523#post16589523
I went looking for a Dragon Magazine Wizard ACF that traded Scribe Scroll for Spell Focus. Seems I'm outta luck.

So, based on the retraining rules in PH2, would you, as a DM, have a problem implementing them at 1st level?

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-12-10, 12:37 PM
Retraining doesn't apply.

Retraining let's you change from a legal selection to another legal selection.

Spell Focus isn't a legal selection for the class feature that gives you Scribe Scroll.

Dark Chaos Shuffle is an option (as Tippy pointed out), but good luck getting access at level 1.

Have you considered just asking the DM for it rather than jumping through hoops? It's not broken.

thorr-kan
2013-12-11, 11:51 AM
Spell Focus isn't a legal selection for the class feature that gives you Scribe Scroll.
I was looking at bonus feat as a feat, not as a class feature. As a class feature, you're correct. And the table of examples even list bonus feats as a example of class feature retraining.

Moral: Check your sources!

Have you considered just asking the DM for it rather than jumping through hoops? It's not broken.
This is the Internet; you're not allowed to be reasonable!

It's a theoretical build for my own amusement. If I ever actually get to play 3.5 again, DM Fiat would probably be my first choice, anyways.