PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Image actions

GutterFace
2013-12-10, 02:11 PM
The Mirror Image spell (as well as Greater); says the once you separate your mirror images mimic your actions. like casting when you cast, drinking when you drink....etc.

2 questions:

1 - If i intimidate would they follow suit as well? would my target make multiple saves (probably not) or would they instead give me an "edge" to the skill check.
im assuming 4 threatening figures have to be more frightening than 1?

2 - (nonsensical) if i cast Mirror Image, then next round cast Mirror image Greater....would they stack (overlap) or would the new images dissipate the old? IF they stack would people see more images spinning off of me as well as the first set of clones since they mimic me. or do they just mimic the casting of the spell?

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-10, 02:35 PM
1.)Unfortunately, the images have only the effect described in the spell. They aren't creatures, so can't take actions (like Aid Another), and your best hope is probably an ad hoc circumstance bonus to the Intimidate check from the DM (which the DM is under no obligation to give you).

2.)I'm pretty sure the images from the spell mimic your casting, but you don't get any illusory copies of spells that you cast. All the spells provide are copies of yourself, which are close enough to the original that people can't tell them apart for attack targeting purposes.

A more RAW exhaustive ruling may contradict me, of course.

GutterFace
2013-12-10, 02:39 PM
i was pretty sure this is where it was going. hahaha. im glad it will reign in my shenanigans. thanks!

aeauseth
2013-12-10, 03:05 PM
The illusionary copies of yourself shuffle around (like a shell game), which one is the real you?

These figments separate from you and remain in a cluster, each within 5 feet of at least one other figment or you. You can move into and through a mirror image. When you and the mirror image separate, observers can’t use vision or hearing to tell which one is you and which the image. The figments may also move through each other. The figments mimic your actions, pretending to cast spells when you cast a spell, drink potions when you drink a potion, levitate when you levitate, and so on.

Given that your images move thru each other, it becomes obvious the the onlooker that most of them are illusions. As such no ancillary benefits. No bonus to intimidate, although a foe unaccustomed to magic might be slightly more fearful of you because you are showing such power. You might try to intimidate (using your voice), but immediately after you speak (or perhaps while speaking) some of the illusions pass by you and the onlooker is no longer certain which one is real. The illusions don't speak, so it is obvious there is only one real person.

Mirror image + greater mirror image do not stack. Instead you get the best of the duration's + the highest number of images.