PDA

View Full Version : Would this class feature work?

qwertyu63
2013-12-10, 05:40 PM
Glimpse (Su): The seer can peer into the future and see events in advance. Starting at level 18, the seer can, as a swift action, predict the actions of a creature within 100 feet. That creature must choose now what actions it will take on its next turn. The seer is made aware of the chosen actions. The targeted creature must perform the chosen actions on their next turn, as best they can. If the chosen actions cannot be performed (targeting a creature that is no longer a valid target or no longer within line of effect, full-attacking a creature no longer within immediate reach, disarming a creature without a weapon, and so forth), the action is simply lost. If the action may be partially but not fully accomplished, the chosen creature must complete as much of the chosen action as it is capable of completing. Once the seer uses this ability, they may not use it again for 5 minutes.

Eldan
2013-12-10, 05:58 PM
Quite powerful. The main question, I think, is what happens if a predicted action becomes illegal. They try to attack someone, but they move out of range. They try to disarm, but the opponent sheathes their weapon. They try to cast, but an AMF goes up around them. Etc.

mootoall
2013-12-10, 06:02 PM
Definitely should be a capstone ability, if anything. Very powerful, especially if you use kt against PCs.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-12-10, 06:21 PM
Exceedingly powerful, especially if the action can be negated (i.e. if it becomes impossible, the creature loses its action).

This is mainly because no save is involved. If the creature is allowed a Will save to select a new action it becomes much much more balanced.

If no save is allowed, I would make this take at least a standard action, and more likely a full-round action. Spending a Swift action to deny your opponent a potential full-round action is way to powerful.

Zman
2013-12-10, 06:26 PM
Exceedingly powerful, especially if the action can be negated (i.e. if it becomes impossible, the creature loses its action).

This is mainly because no save is involved. If the creature is allowed a Will save to select a new action it becomes much much more balanced.

If no save is allowed, I would make this take at least a standard action, and more likely a full-round action. Spending a Swift action to deny your opponent a potential full-round action is way to powerful.

I couldn't agree more.

qwertyu63
2013-12-10, 06:29 PM
Definitely should be a capstone ability, if anything. Very powerful, especially if you use kt against PCs.

I'm aware of how strong it is. The question is if the feature works rules-wise.

Quite powerful. The main question, I think, is what happens if a predicted action becomes illegal. They try to attack someone, but they move out of range. They try to disarm, but the opponent sheathes their weapon. They try to cast, but an AMF goes up around them. Etc.

They would still have to try and do the predicted actions ("as best they can"). Casting in an AMF, you've wasted an action (and maybe a spell slot, depending on your DM). Disarming a weapon that isn't there, again an action down the toilet. And so on. Causing these effects is a potential use of this ability.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-12-10, 06:32 PM
They would still have to try and do the predicted actions ("as best they can"). Casting in an AMF, you've wasted an action (and maybe a spell slot, depending on your DM). Disarming a weapon that isn't there, again an action down the toilet. And so on. Causing these effects is a potential use of this ability.

So if the target says "I will full-attack my opponent" but you move out of reach...are they obligated to move close and attempt an attack, or do they lose their action completely?

Either way, this is way too strong. It's far to easy to simply negate the enemy's next action completely, and a Swift action is not enough of a price to pay.

qwertyu63
2013-12-10, 06:57 PM
So if the target says "I will full-attack my opponent" but you move out of reach...are they obligated to move close and attempt an attack, or do they lose their action completely?

The former.

Either way, this is way too strong. It's far to easy to simply negate the enemy's next action completely, and a Swift action is not enough of a price to pay.

The action cost wasn't the important part. My major question was if the wording had the desired effect. Balancing comes later.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-12-10, 07:10 PM
The action cost wasn't the important part. My major question was if the wording had the desired effect. Balancing comes later.

The wording requires a little bit of a revision.

Glimpse (Su): The seer can peer into the future and see events in advance. Starting at level ?, the seer can, as a swift action, predict the actions of a creature within 100 feet. That creature must choose now what actions it will take on its next turn. The seer is made aware of the chosen actions. The targeted creature must perform the chosen actions on their next turn, as best they can. If the chosen actions cannot be performed (targeting a creature that is no longer a valid target or no longer within line of effect, full-attacking a creature no longer within immediate reach, disarming a creature without a weapon, and so forth), the action is simply lost. If the action may be partially but not fully accomplished, the chosen creature must complete as much of the chosen action as it is capable of completing. Once the seer uses this ability, they may not use it again for 5 minutes.

qwertyu63
2013-12-10, 09:07 PM
The wording requires a little bit of a revision.

Thank you. I have replaced the main post with that. I also chose a level for them to get this...

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-12-10, 09:49 PM
Good. Still way to powerful for a Swift action, no-save ability though. I'd ban it from any game I ran.

Yitzi
2013-12-11, 10:24 AM
It is extremely powerful, as it removes the ability of the opponent to react with no save or SR. Perhaps more importantly, removing the opponent's ability to react does not fit the fluff; he's seeing, not forcing.

I would change it to: The opponent must declare what actions he will take in response to any described situation (the seer can describe as many situations as he wants), and then if that situation comes up next turn, the opponent will take that action. That way, the seer still gets valuable tactical knowledge, but it no longer makes the opponent unable to react.

If that's too weak, it could apply to everyone's actions: i.e. the seer describes what he might do, then the next person describes his possible actions depending on the outcome, and so on for the round; if the seer likes the result he goes with it and everyone is bound, otherwise he can try a different action instead.