PDA

View Full Version : classes, feats, magic items that run off perform checks.

Deca4531
2013-12-10, 05:48 PM
so I'm building a bard and I'm using the storm singer prestige class. one of its most powerful abilities runs off a perform check, the higher your check the harder it hits. It had me thinking what other things in the DND universe work the same way. I know there are a couple magical instruments that require the perform skill but I would like to know if there are any other things out there that I might also take advantage of with a high performance ability.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-10, 05:54 PM
Seeker of the Song PrC, Complete Arcane

Sublime Chord (kind of), same book

Melodic Casting, Complete Mage

unseenmage
2013-12-10, 06:01 PM
Lyre of Building (Woo! Free labor!)
Horn of Blasting (I think)

Artillery
2013-12-10, 06:10 PM
Do you also want things that run well for people with high charisma?

Snowflake Wardance lets you add your charisma modifier to attack rolls. You burn a bardic music and lasts for the number of perform dance ranks you have.

Slippers of battledancing give +10ft movespeed, +5 tumble, +2 init if you have 5 ranks in perform dance. Also if you move 10ft in a round you can use cha instead of dex/str for to hit and dmg with 1-handed and light weapons.

Combine with Sparring Dummy of the Master, which makes 5ft steps 10ft steps, and you can have 2x charisma mod to hit and cha mod to dmg.

Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows adds charisma mod fire dmg to all melee attacks.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-12-10, 07:25 PM
Undersong-level 1 Bard Spell-Gives you Perform=Concentration which opens up tons of things from ToB like saving throws, damage, and ignoring armor. I believe there's a build called Lord Of the Dance or something. Google-fu failing.

holywhippet
2013-12-10, 07:33 PM
On a related note, keep in mind the game does allow custom magical items that improve skill abilities. A ring that gives +20 to your perform check means more damage every time.

Deca4531
2013-12-11, 02:56 PM
Undersong-level 1 Bard Spell-Gives you Perform=Concentration which opens up tons of things from ToB like saving throws, damage, and ignoring armor. I believe there's a build called Lord Of the Dance or something. Google-fu failing.

could you elaborate more on what benefits could be gained from that spell? I'm not particularly familiar with tome of battle.

jaydubs
2013-12-11, 03:09 PM
There's the arcane performer flaw that requires a perform check to cast spells. It's not really an ability, but an extra feat is always nice.

Red Fel
2013-12-11, 03:31 PM
could you elaborate more on what benefits could be gained from that spell? I'm not particularly familiar with tome of battle.

The gist is that, in Tome of Battle, there are three immediate action abilities (called Counters) that allow you to substitute a Concentration check for a saving throw. There are other abilities that allow you to deal an amount of damage equal to your Concentration check (or even double or more your check), and still others which let you use it to overcome AC, and so forth.

Now imagine using this spell, Undersong, which allows your Perform check to substitute for Concentration.

Now imagine that your Perform check - which I imagine will be astronomical - is being used to calculate damage or a saving throw.

Enjoy.

Deca4531
2013-12-11, 08:22 PM
The gist is that, in Tome of Battle, there are three immediate action abilities (called Counters) that allow you to substitute a Concentration check for a saving throw. There are other abilities that allow you to deal an amount of damage equal to your Concentration check (or even double or more your check), and still others which let you use it to overcome AC, and so forth.

Now imagine using this spell, Undersong, which allows your Perform check to substitute for Concentration.

Now imagine that your Perform check - which I imagine will be astronomical - is being used to calculate damage or a saving throw.

Enjoy.

ah I see, thank you very much for that explanation. I'll definitely I'll look into it.

@jaydubs: that's 1 I've never heard of before, but it does seem pretty fitting.

Can anyone tell me what book "slippers of battledancing" come from, I couldn't find them in the MIC.

Optimator
2013-12-11, 08:25 PM
Conceal Spellcasting makes it a Perform vs Spot for observers to even tell if you're spellcasting.

Vortenger
2013-12-11, 08:31 PM
Slippers of Battledancing are from the DMG II.