PDA

View Full Version : Which ponies map to the OotS cast?

Kevka Palazzo
2013-12-10, 08:37 PM
In a topic that branched off from the main discussion, I propose we discuss which ponies match up with the OotS cast.

The, uh, "rules" are that you don't have to pick the Mane 6 to match up with the Order, you can pick anybody. For instance, after much soul-searching, I came up with this:

:roy: : Twilight Sparkle
:belkar: : Discord
:elan: : Pinkie Pie (runner up: Derpy Hooves)
:haley: : Rainbow Dash
:vaarsuvius: : The Great and Powerful Trixie
:durkon: : Applejack

Theeeeen I decided to keep going:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a311/estelindis/hinjo.gif : Shining Armor
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/trytoguess/O-Chul.png : Daring Do

Then I couldn't think of more in a reasonable time. Mostly kept waffling on villains. Should :redcloak: be Nightmare Moon? Should :xykon: be King Sombra or Chrysalis? Or somebody from farther in Season 3 that I haven't met?

Cuthalion
2013-12-10, 08:41 PM
I'd say Xykon is more of a Sombra type.

Angel Bob
2013-12-10, 08:54 PM
Personally, I favour the first mapping we were given in the main thread:

:roy: = Twilight Sparkle
:elan: = Pinkie Pie
:haley: = Rainbow Dash
:belkar: = Fluttershy
:vaarsuvius: = Rarity
:durkon: = Applejack

Kevka Palazzo
2013-12-10, 09:04 PM

:haley: = Rainbow Dash
:durkon: = Applejack

Yeah, I put that one down assuming I could only use the Mane 6, but when somebody suggested :roy: as Shining Armor I was like, "Oh man, if we can use supporting characters this gets a lot easier."

Cuthalion
2013-12-10, 11:32 PM
Who'd be a good Dash then?

Zmeoaice
2013-12-10, 11:38 PM

Um..... wat

Oko and Qailee
2013-12-11, 12:30 AM

Yeah but TGAP Trixie fits V waaaaaaaay better.

Belkar as fluttershy... they both have adorable animal companions, but I'm not seeing much else in common.

IDK if I'd put Belkar as Discord either. Discord feels a lot smarter, but I guess he's the closest we got.

Zevox
2013-12-11, 01:52 AM
I think you just broke my brain with that one...

Seriously though, Belkar's getting something of the connection to animals you'd expect of a ranger lately, but outside of that they could not be more polar opposite of each other.

Trillium
2013-12-11, 02:54 AM
I thinks TGAP Trixie is not :vaarsuvius:. It is :belkar:.
The punt Tarquin gave Belkar is a nice illustration.

Although :nale: fits TGAP Trixie even more...

Meph
2013-12-11, 06:13 AM
I don't dare a comparishon made up by me but still... Belkar and Fluttershy are my respective favourited ones. I'm not seeing any other thing in common strong enough to justify the match, but the fact that somebody else did in less than half a page of discussion beats me.

ref
2013-12-11, 09:30 AM
Out of the Mane Six, Fluttershy fits better with Elan, because he has that "everyone should hang out just fine" thing going on. Fluttershy points for Vaarsuvius for her stint with the soul splice (as in discorded Flutters).

Belkar would then be Pinkie Pie in a twisted way. He is the spirit of laughter, although only his own laughter, and goes to it in sadistic ways. Not to mention certain fanfic out there.

About the other four, they're about right. One might make a case of some shuffling around, though. Vaarsuvius would get to be Twilight Sparkle due to her seek of magical power, Haley has some case for Rarity with her mentions about wanting to be recognized as a girl, and about the speed boots not matching colors, though I agree that her Element of Harmony won't fit at all. This leaves Roy as Rainbow Dash, and sometimes it fits, but again, he is not prone to charge first, and charge later. The Element of Harmony, however, is in this case a big fit.

What I think we can agree is that Durkon is Applejack, though I hope AJ is never vampirized. It fits even with the Honesty, as seen especially in his exchange with Miko (A much better Trixie than the options discussed so far) when she stopped the Order's jailbreak.

Oko and Qailee
2013-12-11, 11:02 AM
I thinks TGAP Trixie is not :vaarsuvius:. It is :belkar:.
The punt Tarquin gave Belkar is a nice illustration.

Although :nale: fits TGAP Trixie even more...

Are you serious? Both TGAP Trixie and V share in common the braggart, unnecessary bragging of their arcane might, it's a major common personality trait between the two of them, the difference i that V actually HAS arcane might.

Belkar and TGAP T have nothing in common, at all.

Edit: I agree Nale make a very good TGAPT

Cuthalion
2013-12-11, 11:10 AM
What about Thog? :smallamused:

Oko and Qailee
2013-12-11, 11:13 AM
--

Hold on a sec. You're taking smaller personality quirks or character traits and saying that they're more important than personality a a whole.

Roy as rainbow dash? Rainbowdash is the most hot headed of the group, prone to act without thinking, and just isn't really that clever. Thats the OPPOSITE of how Roy has been portrayed for the majority of the comic.

Fluttershy with Elan... Fluttershy is shy, Elan is outgoing. Fluttershy has shown a fear of meeting new people, Elan LOVES meeting new people. Fluttershy is scared of everything, Elan jokes around in front of a red dragon. Fluttershy lets her own bunny walk all over her, Elan, though forgiving, still fights back.

Pinkie pie and Belkar is fitting, but Elan scream Pinkie pie. They're both good hearted randomly humor characters.

Vaarsuvius is NOT Twilight Sparkle. TS want's to improve her magic, sometimes obsessively so, but never intentionally at the expense of those around her, TS show clear concern for other living beings. Contrast this with V, who views those as not having arcane might as being beneath her (Whereas TS spent several episodes (examples in all 4 seasons) being worried that she didn't want people to ever think she was special), who is willing to disregard friends advice once she becomes obsessed with a goal (TS listen to the rest of M6 and in a recent episode even turns back from a major quest jut because her friends say so). V and Twilight are both wizards who want to improve their magic, and there the comparison ends.

Whereas V and TGAPT are both people who want to be the best at magic, and are arrogant, loudmouthed, braggarts, who BOTH mess up big time (Black dragon arc vs the magic amulet arc for TGAPT) and BOTH regret their mistake. They're literally the same character in terms of personality and development. The differences between the two aren't personality, but ability (V is actually good at magic)

Oko and Qailee
2013-12-11, 11:14 AM
What about Thog? :smallamused:

Snips or Snails, blindly following a smarter member and being dim witted is the core of all 3 of those characters

Oko and Qailee
2013-12-11, 11:16 AM
For Miko TGAPT is a bad choice.

TGAPT is about about bragging about your capabilities and taking extreme measures (which she later regrets) to be best at magic.

Miko is about forcing others to subscribe to your own moral code and system and to approach it overzealously.

Jolnim
2013-12-11, 11:19 AM
This thread is hysterical! I'll never play MLP with my daughters again in the same way!!

Kevka Palazzo
2013-12-11, 11:55 AM
ref:

I agree with :belkar: being Pinkie. You're right, that unbridled chaos that both characters represent fits too well. While :elan: being Fluttershy isn't perfect, it at least works better than the Belkster being Fluttershy.

I'm definitely going to disagree with :vaarsuvius: as anything other than TGAP Trixie. At least pre-Splice V. Post-splice, I honestly don't know who would fit. Maybe Luna? Splice!V = Nightmare Moon, they've got distinctive speaking styles with weird pronouns, the arrogance returns...

Heksefatter
2013-12-11, 11:56 AM
Order of the Bronies? Stable of the Stick?

Trillium
2013-12-11, 11:58 AM
Are you serious? Both TGAP Trixie and V share in common the braggart, unnecessary bragging of their arcane might, it's a major common personality trait between the two of them, the difference i that V actually HAS arcane might.

Belkar and TGAP T have nothing in common, at all.

Edit: I agree Nale make a very good TGAPT

Both Belkar and TGAPT make a very strong and awe-inspiring impression (in Belkar's case - slaughtering a zillion of low-level (hob)goblins, pestring Roy, killing mooks), but when faced with real mage/warrior (in Belkar's case - punt by Tarquin or wooden sword slam by Roy) makes that impression crumble like card-house.

Kevka Palazzo
2013-12-11, 12:04 PM
Both Belkar and TGAPT make a very strong and awe-inspiring impression (in Belkar's case - slaughtering a zillion of low-level (hob)goblins, pestring Roy, killing mooks), but when faced with real mage/warrior (in Belkar's case - punt by Tarquin or wooden sword slam by Roy) makes that impression crumple like card-house.

This doesn't really hold up because Belkar's been weakened to the point of impotency. He's normally quite a competent fighter. Not up to Roy's standards, of course.

Trillium
2013-12-11, 03:19 PM
This doesn't really hold up because Belkar's been weakened to the point of impotency. He's normally quite a competent fighter. Not up to Roy's standards, of course.

Trixie is pretty competent too. She produced a variety of tricks, which were beyond ability of many other unicorns - Rarity, for instance. Sure, Twilight Sparkle was much better, but she is a prodigy.

Roy, on the other hand, is no prodigy, he is just a very good fighter. He's not exceptional. And he still knocked the halfling into first edition.

IIRC, the only high-level enemies Belkar took on himself were the Eye of Fear and Flame (I'm not sure how high-level it was) and Crystal. Other than that he mainly beaten low-levels and mooks.

Ramien
2013-12-11, 08:45 PM
From my wife:

Roy is Applejack. The 'team mom' (or dad in his case) who is a very responsible type who is out to get things done but occasionally takes on too much responsibility.

Haley is Rainbow Dash. The risk-taker who is out to proove her worth.

V is Twilight. Know-it-all who is a little too pround of their intelligence, even when they really don't know it all. Has huge magical potential, but somewhat socially stupid - remember that the impetus behind FiM is that Twilight had to learn how to make friends.

Elan is Pinkie Pie. Friendly to everyone, even if that person's a jerk. Wants to have fun, and has the best songs.

Belkar is Discorded Fluttershy. It's funny when people get hurt.

Durkon is Big Mac. A strong guy, really reliable, sensible, and doesn't have a whole lot to say.

Shojo is Princess Celestia. At times a complete troll, but for the greater good.

SaintRidley
2013-12-11, 09:18 PM
I think you just broke my brain with that one...

Seriously though, Belkar's getting something of the connection to animals you'd expect of a ranger lately, but outside of that they could not be more polar opposite of each other.

I can kind of see it - look at Fluttershy during the Grand Galloping Gala, for instance.

Plerumque
2013-12-11, 10:38 PM
If Sunset Shimmer counts, that could work for pre-Splice V.

Redcloak is tricky. Not Nightmare Moon, I'd say, but someone with a more pragmatic approach to villainy. Problem is I don't think we have many of those. Chrysalis, maybe? She was doing the things she did mainly for her people...

Zevox
2013-12-11, 10:42 PM
I can kind of see it - look at Fluttershy during the Grand Galloping Gala, for instance.
No, even that doesn't really approach Belkar's kind of personality.

Ramien's wife has something with Discorded Fluttershy though. But even she's still far less violent than Belkar.

Lord Raziere
2013-12-11, 10:56 PM
Roy = Spike (snarky guys surrounded by dysfunctional people)
Elan = Pinkie Pie (cheerful people with lots of social influence despite stupidity)
Durkon = Applejack (dependable, sane salts of the earth)
V = Twilight (socially bad bookworms great at magical power)
Belkar = Rainbow Dash (reckless brash fighters with incongruous pets)
Haley = Fluttershy (Fluttershy is quiet and shy, Haley for a long time had aphasia and couldn't speak, as well as being focused on keeping secrets, which is a shyness all by itself)

who Rarity? Celia of course. :smallbiggrin:

SaintRidley
2013-12-11, 11:08 PM
No, even that doesn't really approach Belkar's kind of personality.

Ramien's wife has something with Discorded Fluttershy though. But even she's still far less violent than Belkar.

Thing is if we're looking for a perfect match, there's no entity in Equestria that will approach Belkar on any level. Fluttershy when frustrated or Discorded is about as close as it gets.

Dalek_Kolt
2013-12-12, 12:04 AM
Blueblood is Daimyo Kubota, being a pompous smug aristocrat whose continued significance in the comic has long since diminished.

Sunset Shimmer is Nale, with names that mirror a member of the Mane 6 and the Order respectively, with a love for needlessly complex schemes and a rather inflated view of themselves.

Chrysalis is Sabine, a love-hungry, shape-shifting demon.

diamond dog is thog. diamond dog easily distracted and outwitted.

Sombra is Xykon, being the obviously evilest-looking and sounding, having their first plan revolve around a crystal gate/heart, and ultimately exploding at the end of their first appearance.

General Tarquin is Fanon Celestia, fun to chat with, yet cruel and petty.

littlebum2002
2013-12-12, 09:28 AM
Shouldn't Julio Scoundrel be Daring Do? I mean they're both variations of Indiana Jones.

Also, if you have to stick with the mane 6, I would eliminate the abomination that is

and go with

:haley: = Applejack
:belkar: = Rainbow Dash
:durkon: = Fluttershy

Kevka Palazzo
2013-12-12, 02:07 PM
From my wife:

Roy is Applejack. The 'team mom' (or dad in his case) who is a very responsible type who is out to get things done but occasionally takes on too much responsibility.

Haley is Rainbow Dash. The risk-taker who is out to proove her worth.

V is Twilight. Know-it-all who is a little too pround of their intelligence, even when they really don't know it all. Has huge magical potential, but somewhat socially stupid - remember that the impetus behind FiM is that Twilight had to learn how to make friends.

Elan is Pinkie Pie. Friendly to everyone, even if that person's a jerk. Wants to have fun, and has the best songs.

Belkar is Discorded Fluttershy. It's funny when people get hurt.

Durkon is Big Mac. A strong guy, really reliable, sensible, and doesn't have a whole lot to say.

Shojo is Princess Celestia. At times a complete troll, but for the greater good.

I think this is my favorite mapping thus far.

littlebum2002
2013-12-12, 08:25 PM
I don't understand: how are Belkar and Fluttershy not totally polar opposites of each other? I'm not getting that at all. Just because he kinda like animals? Is that enough to justify the fact that they have completely opposite personalities?

RadagastTheBrow
2013-12-12, 10:33 PM
Belkar is probably closest to Angel Bunny. Which would make Mr. Scruffy or Bloodfeast, Fluttershy.

Alternatively:

:belkar: "Hey, hey, hey! Stay out of my shed!!!"

Trillium
2013-12-13, 04:08 AM
I don't understand: how are Belkar and Fluttershy not totally polar opposites of each other? I'm not getting that at all. Just because he kinda like animals? Is that enough to justify the fact that they have completely opposite personalities?

They also have problems interacting with the world. FS goes all shy and Belkar begins stabbing things.

ref
2013-12-13, 09:32 AM
And what Element of Harmony goes with each one?

Roy is Loyalty
Durkon is Honesty
Vaarsuvius is Magic (Here only in the literal sense)
Elan is Laughter
Haley is Kindness
Belkar is Generosity. (But only when it comes to "points of damage")

I want to see an Elemental of Laughter some day... wait, that's Pinkie Pie, right?

Iruka
2013-12-13, 09:40 AM
Snips or Snails, [...]
or maybe Dragontails?

Kevka Palazzo
2013-12-13, 01:17 PM
Belkar is probably closest to Angel Bunny. Which would make Mr. Scruffy or Bloodfeast, Fluttershy.

Alternatively:

:belkar: "Hey, hey, hey! Stay out of my shed!!!"

Honestly, I think that version of Fluttershy is too depraved even for Belkar. :smalleek:

TengYt
2013-12-13, 01:28 PM
I don't understand this thread. Sure, MLP is popular, but it has nothing to do with OOTS, and the characters of each respective franchise don't fit together well at all. You might as well ask which Transformers map to the OOTS cast.

RadagastTheBrow
2013-12-13, 01:37 PM
I don't understand this thread. Sure, MLP is popular, but it has nothing to do with OOTS, and the characters of each respective franchise don't fit together well at all. You might as well ask which Transformers map to the OOTS cast.

Hey, it's better than talking about respecting the genders of everything V killed during familicide or how morally justified Elan was for playing the kazoo that one time.

Actually, comparing OOTS to Transformers sounds like fun. Roy for Optimus Prime seems like an obvious one- Died and rezzed, obvious leader guy. Anything else?

Kevka Palazzo
2013-12-13, 03:06 PM

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120529035317/mlp/images/8/8b/No_Fun_Allowed.jpg

In a more serious response:

It's discussion about the OotS cast's personalities, and more importantly how we forumites perceive them or want them to be. It's an interesting thought experiment that has everything to do with OotS.

I couldn't help with the Transformers thing. I know only Beast Wars, the 1980s cartoon movie, and the first two Bayformers movies. I guess Roy == Optimus fits, but that's as far as I get.

Zevox
2013-12-13, 07:46 PM
And what Element of Harmony goes with each one?

Roy is Loyalty
Durkon is Honesty
Vaarsuvius is Magic (Here only in the literal sense)
Elan is Laughter
Haley is Kindness
Belkar is Generosity. (But only when it comes to "points of damage")

I want to see an Elemental of Laughter some day... wait, that's Pinkie Pie, right?
I'd say switch Roy and Durkon. Durkon for Loyalty seems the perfect fit. Roy for Honesty slightly less so, but you could see him as being sort of brutally honest through his sarcastic remarks at others' expense.

Haley for Kindness is kind of a bad fit, but I guess the only one who really fits it better is Elan, and he's an obvious best fit for Laughter.

BardicLasher
2013-12-16, 03:23 PM
My own suggestion:

Roy is Applejack. Down to earth, brave, the sanest of the bunch, and the heavy hitter.

Durkon is Big Mac. Similar to Applejack, but quieter, more dependable, and with hidden strength that only goes on display rarely.

Haley is Rarity. She's greedy and loves looking her best, but she's actually entirely willing to put forth effort and get dirty if it means helping people in need.

Vaarsuvius is Twilight Sparkle. They both believe all problems can be solved with logic, reason, and magic and are prone to not having a plan B. They have to learn the value of friendship so self-evident to others, and both have serious issues accepting failure as an option.

This puts Blackwing as Spike, switching between voice of reason and the guy spouting silly one-liners depending on his mage's attitude, rarely affects anything but always around.

Elan can be argued for both Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy, and I'm going with... both, at different times. As for Fluttershy, he's sweet, nonconfrontational, and when situations get heated he tends to stand in the back and encourage others to do good. When he's actually helpful in combat, it's by talking the enemies down or convincing people not to fight.. .... At least, that's who he was in the early comics. Now his silliness has been weaponized, and he jokes through combat by hurting people with puns, comes up with crazy plans that actually work, and doesn't shy away from smacking people when push comes to shove. I think his character development has pushed him more toward Pinkie Pie.

So who's Belkar? Not a pony.

Belkar is Angel. He's a tiny sociopath who regularly makes a point of ruining others' days, abuses even the people who like him most to get whatever he can, and really only actually /likes/ one of the people in the group. He's sometimes willing to actually help out, but usually only when bribed, and he's just as likely to cause problems as to help fix them.

SUPPORTING CAST

Nale is Trixie. He considers himself a big rival, but he's not as smart or competant as he thinks he is.

Thog is Derpy Hooves. Stupid, breaks everything, dangerous to be around, but completely lovable.

Shojo, as said earlier, is Celestia, doing everything for the greater good but a complete **** about it.

Xykon is Discord. He's crazy because he can be, and he hurts people because he's bored. Sure, he's got a world-domination endgame, but at this point it's because he can and because he's actively sadistic.

The Monster in the Dark is Cerberus. Big, scary, can eat you, but all it wants to do is play.

martianmister
2014-01-26, 06:37 PM
Belkar has to be Discord. :smallwink:

Ramien
2014-01-26, 08:17 PM
Belkar has to be Discord. :smallwink:

John DeLancie voicing Belkar? I don't buy it... Even as Discord, he's still too sophisticated.

Socksy
2014-01-27, 07:05 AM
Another vote for Ramien's wife's mapping!

Also, who is Tarquin's MLP? :D