PDA

View Full Version : battle map help

twistedmage
2013-12-10, 09:01 PM
I recently bought a used red hand of doom adventure mod and all the mini battle maps were missing is there a way to print a sized map from a paint program or another such program

Airk
2013-12-11, 10:14 AM
I recently bought a used red hand of doom adventure mod and all the mini battle maps were missing is there a way to print a sized map from a paint program or another such program

Not sure what you mean by a "sized map", sorry.

Rhynn
2013-12-11, 10:21 AM
is there a way to print a sized map from a paint program or another such program

Erm... yes... hook up a (color) printer, open a JPG or PNG or whatever file (the map) and print it. I think there must be some kind of miscommunication here, because I don't quite understand what problem you're having. :smallconfused:

twistedmage
2013-12-11, 09:08 PM
Sorry guys for the complications, i m trying to print the dm maps from the adventure for minis and I m trying to get them to a 1" scale but thus far everything is printing too small hope this helps to clarify

Rhynn
2013-12-12, 12:48 AM
The scans might be to the wrong scale. You're just going to have to manually enlarge the image until it's the correct size, and hope that the scan was "even" (I have plenty of scans of maps where, say, hexes on opposite edges don't match line up straight). I'm no expert on printing (or editing images), unfortunately...

Mutazoia
2013-12-22, 09:59 AM
You may have to take it to a professional printer and have them print it on their wide format machines if you want them printed to a 1" scale. Usually a 24 x 36 in black and white will run you around $3, tops. (Although color looks cooler, you don't want to pay for THAT).

OfficeMax and Office Depot usually have the lowest prices and will run them off on the blueprint copier/printer. I think Max is currently charging about $2 for a 24 x 36, which is the largest most store will do. However there is one Max in every city that has the larger machines that can go up to 48" (for around $3.50 I think).

inexorabletruth
2013-12-23, 12:43 AM
You may have to take it to a professional printer and have them print it on their wide format machines if you want them printed to a 1" scale. Usually a 24 x 36 in black and white will run you around $3, tops. (Although color looks cooler, you don't want to pay for THAT).

OfficeMax and Office Depot usually have the lowest prices and will run them off on the blueprint copier/printer. I think Max is currently charging about $2 for a 24 x 36, which is the largest most store will do. However there is one Max in every city that has the larger machines that can go up to 48" (for around $3.50 I think).

^This.

First you need to make sure the files you have are actually full scale. If they're not, I recommend finding a 1:1 scale image of the map you wish to print, instead of enlarging the image until it's right. Then, you'll probably need a banner printer, or plotter, so you can print the battle map to scale (all print shops have these), otherwise you'll have to print several sections of the map onto 8.5x11 paper (or whatever size is standard in your region of the world), which can get clunky.

If you're limited to only what your printer can produce, then print your sections out onto your standard sized paper, cut and paste them onto cardboard squares, and run duct tape along the backside edges of the cardboard to hold the segments together in their proper order. It'll look homegrown, but it won't cost as much as going to Kinko's or some analog thereof.

originalginger
2013-12-23, 08:15 PM
Easy as pie. Get photofiltre, a free image editing program.

Load the image into photofiltre, crop the image into 8x8 or 8x10 sections, and save them as individual images. If needed, you can easily find simple tutorials, either text and illustrated form on DeviantArt, or video form on youtube.

Print those images on regular 8 1/2 x 11 paper or cardstock. Your printer will likely leave a small border of white, making the scale quite close to 1 inch per square.

Cut out the printed maps and place together. Best to tape them together on the bottom for table use.

Play and enjoy.