PDA

View Full Version : Dungeoncrasher Psion

paperarmor
2013-12-10, 11:22 PM
So I'm wanting to build a Psion that specializes in the bullrush part of telekinetic maneuver and I'm wondering two things 1. if it works 2. if losing two Manifester Levels is worth it for the extra damage

icefractal
2013-12-10, 11:43 PM
I would say that if you're willing to lose two levels, Master of the Unseen Hand is a better choice. You get to combine telekinesis modes, concentrate as a move action (and manifest other things during it), and it even adds to your level for the purpose of Telekinesis. A third level would get you full-attacking with it.

It would require DM permission, because it doesn't technically mention the psionic power as qualifying, but it's a very natural adjustment. If a DM wouldn't allow that, I wouldn't count on them allowing Fighter to work either.

It's still not as powerful as going straight Psion, obviously.

LanSlyde
2013-12-10, 11:44 PM
So I'm wanting to build a Psion that specializes in the bullrush part of telekinetic maneuver and I'm wondering two things 1. if it works 2. if losing two Manifester Levels is worth it for the extra damage

1: Yes you can bull rush as part of a telekinetic maneuver.

2: Absolutely not. Losing Manifester levels means less PP, powers, a reduction in how many points you can spend on a power, etc.

Should you still do it? Sure, why not, make it your gimmick.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-12-10, 11:46 PM
Not really, unless you're going to use Metamorphosis to take the form of something with a high strength score. You'd be better off using Telekinetic Thrust to launch fifteen greatswords for 30d6 damage, or colossal crossbow bolts for 45d6 damage.

You could instead make an arcane gish and use Melf's Unicorn Arrow from PH2 with it. The spell doesn't specify that the bull rush has to originate from your position, so you can use it to force them into the ground to dungeoncrash them. A gish character is probably going to have a high strength score anyway, and you can (Draconic) Polymorph into a War Troll or similar and even use Knock-Back in RoS.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-10, 11:49 PM
Psions, and even more so Ardents, can handle a bit of loss of manifesting levels, because Practiced Manifester props them up a good bit better than Practiced Spellcaster props up spellcasters. That said, I'd reiterate the advice about Master of the Unseen Hand. There is a lot of utility and mechanical oomph packed into those levels, and it's really easy to qualify for. Fighter is generally so bad that even its best ACF on a character that is going to get good use out of it isn't looking so good. Still, if you can sell the DM on it, go for it.

Was there any interesting bull rush stuff in ToB? I remember a couple of the other combat maneuvers got some love (particularly trip via Setting Sun maneuvers), but I don't recall much for bull rushing. Might be worth a gander, though.