PDA

View Full Version : PF Advanced Class Guide Skald... is underwhelming

Gabe the Bard
2013-12-10, 11:50 PM
I was excited about the Skald when I saw it on the list of classes, but after reading through it, I'm left with disappointment. What should thematically be a support class for a horde of raging barbarians actually discourages anyone in the party from playing a barbarian at all, precisely because there is no incentive to do so when the bonuses from the barbarian's rage and the skald's raging song do not stack. It would be nice if there was even a partial boost to the barbarian's rage, like getting +2 to just one stat at each level when the Str and Con bonuses increase, or at least improving the morale bonuses to will saves. And even the BAB and hit dice are the same as a regular bard. What gives?

Psyren
2013-12-10, 11:51 PM
We have a main thread for the ACG beta playtest here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315365)

grarrrg
2013-12-11, 12:33 AM
We have a main thread for the ACG beta playtest here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315365)

Yeah, but considering that thread is 26 pages long as I type this, AND deals with ALL the new classes...

Gabe the Bard
2013-12-11, 12:51 AM
Yeah, but considering that thread is 26 pages long as I type this, AND deals with ALL the new classes...

That's actually why I posted this. I started reading the main thread, but it's 43 pages long and counting. I'm mainly just interested in the Skald, being a fan of bard-based classes in general, though I'm kind of disappointed that the Advanced Class Guide seems to regurgitate a lot of old concepts from 3rd edition, like the Swashbuckler and Warpriest, even if they are different mechanically. Even the Skald appeared before as a prestige class in a Faerun-based 3.0 splat book. I don't remember the details of that class, except that it didn't progress spell casting, but I think it had a better feel as a martial bard than this Skald, which is more like an ordinary bard whose songs make you angry instead of making you more courageous and heroic.

Baroncognito
2013-12-11, 01:56 AM
So, the skald basically trades useful performance for more versatile spellcasting?

Would a 5th level Skald qualify for Mystic Theurge?

Gabe the Bard
2013-12-13, 02:17 AM
Would a 5th level Skald qualify for Mystic Theurge?

Probably not. I think those spells would be considered arcane spells when they are cast by the Skald.