PDA

View Full Version : Mach 1

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-12-11, 12:15 AM
I got the idea of a character capable of running 767 mph or normally walking 750, however I look at this task and it seems almost impossible. I know of that one build that supposedly can go like mach 7 or something, but I don't won't to to quite that. This character is based off of sonic the hedgehog. This is what I have: Dark Shadow Catfolk. Brb1 scout3 mnk3 battle dancer 3, dash feat, run feat, fleet foot feat, and then I don't know what to do, I only have a speed of 157.5 or 160 ft. per 6 seconds. So how should I increase further ,are there anyways to get my run multiplier higher, speed up, or just some reassurance, but please if the only thing you have to say is that it is impossible, don't. Thanks in advance ThatGuyOvaThere.

A_S
2013-12-11, 12:22 AM
Is it important to you to get your actual speed up that high, or do you just want to move that distance in a round reliably? Because there are a lot of ways to take more than the normal number of move actions per round.

Also, it's "mach."

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-12-11, 12:34 AM
Is it important to you to get your actual speed up that high, or do you just want to move that distance in a round reliably? Because there are a lot of ways to take more than the normal number of move actions per round.

Also, it's "mach."

I need to be able to move 767 miles in one hour or the equivalent in a six second period of time, which is 750 ft. on feet, again sonic the hedgehog.

A_S
2013-12-11, 12:44 AM
Okay:

1. Pick your favorite "infinite actions" loop (I'm a fan of Greater Arcane Fusion/Twinned Celerity).
2. Apply until you have as many actions as you need.
3. (if needed, depending on source of infinite actions): Convert standard actions to move actions by using metamagic to increase the casting time of Lesser Celerity to a standard action.
4. Spend all of your move actions running.

Maximum distance moved per round should only be limited by spell slots, power points, or whatever else is fueling your action economy cheese. Should be no problem getting it into the thousands.

Chadamantium
2013-12-11, 12:45 AM
Well you could take Travel Devotion from Complete Champion allowing you to make a second move action thus doubling your current speed in a round though only lasts one minute.

madtinker
2013-12-11, 12:48 AM
Did you apply the run multiplier to that speed? Barbarian gives fast movement, and with the run feat you get x5 movement. Should be 200 ft/rnd pretty easily.

Also, mach 1 is 1115 ft/s, or 6690 ft per round.

I'm sorry I don't have anything more useful, but your math needed some help. I'll be watching this thread.

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-12-11, 12:49 AM
Okay:

1. Pick your favorite "infinite actions" loop (I'm a fan of Greater Arcane Fusion/Twinned Celerity).
2. Apply until you have as many actions as you need.
3. (if needed, depending on source of infinite actions): Convert standard actions to move actions by using metamagic to increase the casting time of Lesser Celerity to a standard action.
4. Spend all of your move actions running.

Maximum distance moved per round should only be limited by spell slots, power points, or whatever else is fueling your action economy cheese. Should be no problem getting it into the thousands.

I forgot to mention I don't really won't spell casting

Well you could take Travel Devotion from Complete Champion allowing you to make a second move action thus doubling your current speed in a round though only lasts one minute.

That could be useful, but again I don't won't spell casting as this character.

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-12-11, 12:51 AM
Did you apply the run multiplier to that speed? Barbarian gives fast movement, and with the run feat you get x5 movement. Should be 200 ft/rnd pretty easily.

Also, mach 1 is 1115 ft/s, or 6690 ft per round.

I'm sorry I don't have anything more useful, but your math needed some help. I'll be watching this thread.

I need to walk 750 ft, I need to run you know mach 1, and I could've sworn that the speed of sound is 767 mph

Fax Celestis
2013-12-11, 12:57 AM
In fact: Lawful Neutral Dark Shadow Xeph Cleric 1/Ardent 1/Wizard 1/Incarnate 1/Monk 13

Base: 30'

Templates:
Shadow Creature: Base speed x1.5 (45')
Dark: +10'

Race:
Xeph: Burst of Speed: +30'

Classes:
Cleric: Celerity Domain: +10'
Ardent: Freedom Mantle: +10'
Monk: +40'

Feats and Traits:
Sprinter: +10'
Dash: +5'
Quick: +10'
Fleet of Foot: +10'
Speed of Thought: +10'
Run: x5 when running

Spells:
Swift Expeditious Retreat: +30'

Chakra Binds:
Cerulean Sandals: +5' (and lets you walk on water!)

Total:
45' + 10' + 30' + 10' + 10' + 10' + 50' + 10' + 5' + 10' + 10' + 10' + 30' + 5' = 245'
245' x5 = 1225' (approximately 1/4 of a mile, or ~140 mph)
1225' / 6s = ~205'/s
1225' x.3045 = ~373 meters in six seconds
373m / 6s = ~62 m/s
An old thing I came up with. 1225'/rd. Enjoy.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-11, 12:59 AM
Monk 12/ Factotum 8 with the Epic Boots of Swiftness and 30 ft. base movement speed gives you a walking speed of 140 ft.

Take Run for x5 and you are at 700 ft. in 6 seconds. Use Cunning Surge to pick up another standard action and you are now at 840 ft. moved for the round.

If you have 88 IP and Cunning Surge 22 times before using a Craft Contigent Greater Celerity to pick up another full round action then you can move 4,480 ft. in 6 seconds. Dash adds on another 160 ft. to that, bringing you up to 4,640 ft. in six seconds. Or 527 real life miles per hour.

Now do this on a Wyrmling Mercury Dragon (200 ft. perfect fly speed) with Air Heritage and Improved Speed for 295 ft. base speed. You are flying 9,440 feet in 6 seconds. Or 1,072 real life miles per hour.

If you manage to pick up immunity to exhaustion so that you can run all day then you are traveling a mere 885,000 feet per hour. At the real life mile (5,280 ft.) that is 167 mph. At the D&D mile (6,000 ft.) that is 147 miles per hour.

A_S
2013-12-11, 12:59 AM
Okay.

Anthropomorphic Light Horse (SS) Wildshape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm) 5/Monk 15

Feats: Cheetah's Speed (CD)

Items: Boots of Speed

Speed: 50 (race) + 50 (monk) + 30 (boots)

Cheetah's Speed lets you spring 10 times that as part of a charge, which gets you 1300 feet.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-11, 01:02 AM
An old thing I came up with. 1225'/rd. Enjoy.

You should apply Dark before Shadow. Dark ups your base speed to 40 ft. and then Shadow multiples it by 1.5, that gets you an extra 5 ft. of base movement speed over how you have it.

Fax Celestis
2013-12-11, 01:13 AM
You should apply Dark before Shadow. Dark ups your base speed to 40 ft. and then Shadow multiples it by 1.5, that gets you an extra 5 ft. of base movement speed over how you have it.

Yeah, I went with the 'extremely conservative' application of Shadow.

Forrestfire
2013-12-11, 01:42 AM
Hrm... Maxing speed...

Assuming you want a humanoid creature, use the Raptoran race, to get you a racial fly speed for the Air Heritage feat.

Race:

Dark template gets you +10ft to all movement speeds.
Shadow Creature template multiplies your speeds by 1.5.
The Quick trait from Unearthed Arcana gets you a +10ft bonus to your land speed in exchange for losing 1 HP per level.

Class levels:

Barbarian 1 gets you +10ft untyped to land speed.
Paragnostic Apostle's Spatial Awareness ability makes any speed-increasing spells you cast add another +10 to the speed.
The Celerity domain gets you a +10ft untyped to land speed.

Feats

Air Heritage gets you +30ft untyped to your fly speed.
Cheetah's Speed lets you charge at 10 times your speed by burning a Wild Shape use.
Travel Devotion lets you move up to your speed as a swift action once per round.
Divine Vigor lets you burn a Turn/Rebuke Undead use to get +10ft untyped to your land speed.
Dash gets you +5ft untyped to your land speed.
Speed Of Thought gets you a +10ft insight bonus to your land speed.

Spells:

Haste gets you a +30ft enhancement bonus to all speeds.
Footsteps of the Divine gets you +40ft untyped to your land speed, and the ability to increase the bonus to +50 for one round.
Grace gets you a +10ft untyped bonus to your base land speed.
Cloud Wings gets you a +30ft untyped bonus to your fly speed.
Elation gets you a +5ft untyped bonus to your base land speed.

Items:

The Feathered Wings graft gives you a fly speed equal to twice your land speed.

So, a Dark Shadow Raptoran Barbarian 1/Cleric 1/Druid 1/Archivist x/Paragnostic Apostle 1/Abolisher 1 can cast all of the spells on that list and fuel the wild and divine feats, as well as getting you the Celerity domain.

So your land speed is now [30 (raptoran base)1.5 (shadow creature template) ] + 10 (dark template) 10 (divine vigor) + 5 (dash) + 10 (speed of thought) + 10 (barbarian) +10 (celerity domain) + 40 (haste) + 60 (footsteps of the divine) + 20 (grace) + 15 (elation = 245 feet

235 feet, charging at 10 times your speed, gets you 2,350 feet traveled in the round. Travel Devotion lets you move again equal to your speed, bringing the total to 2585 feet. This is 293.75 miles per hour, and not fast enough.

Thankfully, you have a Feathered Wings graft, which gives you a fly speed equal to twice your land speed, which in this case is 330 feet. So your fly speed is now 660 (base) + 40 (cloud wings) + 30 (air heritage feat). Depending on how you read Haste, it could also add another +40, because it applies to all the speeds, and Feathered Wings merely incorporates your land speed into the base. Shadow Template might also apply here, giving you a fly speed of either 730 feet (worst-case scenario) or 1,100 (best-case scenario).

With a fly speed of 730 feet, you can charge and travel devotion to move eleven times that, or 8,030 feet in a single round, which is 912.5 miles per hour. Congratulations, you've broken the sound barrier!

A fly speed of 1,100 feet moves 12,100 feet in a round, or 1375 miles per hour.

EDIT: There is also the item Rapid Wrath from the Ghostwalk setting that doubles the speed of anything carrying it, which would quadruple your fly speed I think, bringing you to 5500 miles per hour in a best-case scenario involving bonuses. Not only that, but you move twice as fast when moving downwards, so you'd actually go 11,000 miles per hour, for a single round of Mach 14 movement.

shaikujin
2013-12-11, 02:12 AM
1,360 ft per move action is possible using pure monk 20 without any feats or LA. No spells/casting required, though magic items are used.

Base race used is a humanoid with 30" walking speed.

Movement speed
Source|Bonus|Subtotal|Bonus Type|Description
Base land speed|30|30|Base humoid|
Quick|10|40|Trait|
Monk|60|100|Class|
Dark template (Land)|10|110|Racial|(Getting this via Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis) +10 feet to all modes of movement
Boots of Skating|15|125|Enhancement|
Boots of Skating|15|140|Circumstance|When downhill (taken care of by boots of gravity)
Boots of Speed (Land)|15|155|Enhancement|The 30 ft Enhancement from Haste over-rides the +15 from Boots of Skating, giving an extra 15 ft bonus
Fharlanghn’s Badge|5|160|Special Symbol|Spells (such as Haste) that imparts or increase any mode of movement increases the target's speed by 5 ft
Horned Helm|160|320|Untyped|Doubles Base speed (Land)
Use next line for Land Speed|
Rapid Wrath|160|480|Weapon property|When not flying, apply this to land speed to triple (Horned Helm and Rapid Wrath) speed from 160 to 480
Ignore line above and use below for Flight Speed|
Wings|320|640 (Fly)|Unseelie Fey Template|(Ex) Flight at double normal speed. When flying apply Rapid Wrath to flight speed instead of land speed
Dark template (Flight)|10|650 (Fly)|Racial|+10 feet to all modes of movement
Boots of Speed (Flight)|30|680 (Fly)|Enhancement|Haste grants bonus to all movement modes, Enhancement to land speed is different from Enhancement to flight speed and stacks
Rapid Wrath|680|1,360 (Fly)|Weapon property|This is Fly speed. When flying appy Rapid Wrath to flight speed instead of land speed (Working around D&D doubling maths by applying Horned Helm doubling and Rapid Wrath doubling to 2 different movement modes)

Speed of sound is actually 1,126 ft/s. So that means in a 6 second round, you have to move 6,756 ft/rd.

Get the Run feat (Cheetah's Sprint) to multiply the movement speed to 5x or more to reach mach 1.

Or use a Shadow Mercury dragon.

Also, last 2 monk levels don't increase speed, so you can trade out those monk levels for other classes that gives movement bonus like Barbarian.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-11, 02:52 AM
The Monk speed boost is an enhancement bonus, it doesn't stack with boots of speed.

shaikujin
2013-12-11, 03:10 AM
Doh, you are right.

Does the monk movement speed enhancement bonus apply to all movement modes like haste?

Specifically, can I double apply (once to land and once to flight) it like what I did above?

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-11, 03:12 AM
Yes it applies to all movement speeds, its just a straight speed boost.

Alleran
2013-12-11, 03:52 AM
I thought I'd posted in this thread, but it looks like it was lost somehow.

Anyway, there's a spell in an issue of Dragon (#308) called Fly Like An Arrow. When in use, your flight speed receives a x10 multiplier, but you can only travel in a straight line.

shaikujin
2013-12-11, 05:05 AM
The Monk speed boost is an enhancement bonus, it doesn't stack with boots of speed.

Nice, thanks!