PDA

View Full Version : Player Copy, thought/optimization experiment

Legendxp
2013-12-11, 01:03 AM
So I've noticed while browsing the old Crystal Keep files that there are many classes designed to mimic other classes. Bring in the changeling race and the factotum class and you've got a solid foundation for completely mimicking another player.

So I've got a challenge for the playground. What build would you make to completely mimic another character? How would you use this in campaign?

Personally, I would like to "switch" the two characters around somehow and have a player managing the other build by accident. Later they would discover that a member of their party was in fact someone else. This new member would actually believe he was the original through some magical effect like Mind Rape or the such. (I know this isn't exactly realistic. In fact, I would never actually do this in game for a number of reasons)

Here are some classes that I thought might help;

Factotum (as the starting class)
Chameleon (RoD p111)
Charlatan (DR335 p62)
Magic Filcher (DR310 p73)
Master Transmogrifist (CArc p51) - For mimicking the appearance of others
Replacement Killer (DR312 p45)
Shaper of Form (DR326 p82) - Not sure if this class is actually helpful, it looked interesting.
Spymaster (CAdv p76)
Stoneface (DR310 p74)
Zhentarim Spy (PGF p77)
Anarchomancer (DR315 p048)

Here are some races that might help;

Changeling
Doppelganger

EDIT: Also assume that this is gestalt.

Legendxp
2013-12-11, 11:39 AM
Any thoughts guys?

AMFV
2013-12-11, 11:41 AM
What exactly are we trying to mimic? That's probably the most important part, you can mimic most things, but it's best to have an idea about what might be required.

eggynack
2013-12-11, 01:09 PM
I'd probably just use some kinda full caster. You can potentially hide the fact that you're casting spells, and casters can do just about anything ever. Clerics might be the best option, because they tend to emulate other classes in a really direct way, and DMM persist means that their buffing can be invisible. Domains are a good chunk of that versatility, but if you can swap them out somehow, you're pretty much in the clear.

jedipilot24
2013-12-11, 01:16 PM
Here are three possible builds; Master of Masks is from Complete Scoundrel.

Changeling Factotum 20//Spellthief 5/Chameleon 10/Any 5
Changeling Factotum 20//Bard 5/Master of Marks 10/Any 5
Changeling Factotum 20//Beguiler 5/Mindbender 1/Nightmare Spinner 1/Chameleon 10/Beguiler+3.

You are now a liar and a cheat who can do a little of bit everything; now go to town.