PDA

View Full Version : Templates and Alignment Question

LordAshenshield
2013-12-11, 01:50 AM
Alright so I was gonna take the Half-Fiend Template from Pathfinder, and possibly one other to help boost my Tristalt character a bit.

However it says I need to have an evil character alignment.

I always believed that Neutral Evil is not as bad as either Chaotic or Lawful evils.

I know in the DMG 3.5 they call Neutral Evil the worse of the evils because it is evil for evils sake. So I must ask. What alignment of Evil would someone be if they where out for themselves, greedy, prideful and would not hesitate long on whether to kill a person to further their own goals. However they do have a sense of honor and will aid good people if it helps them in either the short or long run.

Also if anyone has any cool idea for a template that would fit with Half Fiend I am open to suggestions.

Forrestfire
2013-12-11, 02:07 AM
While it doesn't matter, any alignment that says "Always ___" actually means "almost all of these are this alignment." The Monster Manual talks about how there are rare exceptions.

In any case, the character is out for themselves, prideful, and greedy, but follows a personal code? That sounds like textbook Lawful Evil.

AMFV
2013-12-11, 02:09 AM
Alright so I was gonna take the Half-Fiend Template from Pathfinder, and possibly one other to help boost my Tristalt character a bit.

However it says I need to have an evil character alignment.

I always believed that Neutral Evil is not as bad as either Chaotic or Lawful evils.

I know in the DMG 3.5 they call Neutral Evil the worse of the evils because it is evil for evils sake. So I must ask. What alignment of Evil would someone be if they where out for themselves, greedy, prideful and would not hesitate long on whether to kill a person to further their own goals. However they do have a sense of honor and will aid good people if it helps them in either the short or long run.

Also if anyone has any cool idea for a template that would fit with Half Fiend I am open to suggestions.

Probably Neutral Evil or Lawful Evil, depending on how intense their sense of honor is. If it's flexible, then it's neutral evil, if it's inflexible it'd be lawful. At least that would be my reading.

As far as "as bad" goes, they're all pretty much evil, so selfish and cruel, just with different types of moral codes regarding law v. chaos. A demon, a ugoloth, and a devil, are all pretty unpleasant characters, though they are unpleasant in different ways.

TuggyNE
2013-12-11, 02:11 AM
I know in the DMG 3.5 they call Neutral Evil the worse of the evils because it is evil for evils sake.

They call every one of the evil alignments the worst sort of evil, for different reasons. This is done on purpose to make you think about them.

Anyway, this character is LE.

Honest Tiefling
2013-12-11, 02:14 AM
AFIAK, no evil alignment is any worse then any other, its more of a matter of how the person is, not the alignment. Just like how a LG paladin isn't automatically more good then a CG Robin Hood type. A Neutral Evil person who traffics with fiends and rises to power just to inflict pain and suffering on others can quickly outpace a chaotic evil bandit or a lawful evil captain of the guard.

Lawful evil seems quite appropriate, and I'm curious what his sense of honor is. As for the template, any idea on what their fiendish parent was?

LordAshenshield
2013-12-11, 02:20 AM
Not sure yet, any suggestions?
I was thinking having this character go for Lich later to be honest. His Class is Psion(Or StP Erudite)//Factotum//Warblade

LordAshenshield
2013-12-11, 03:54 AM
Here are ideas I had
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/half-fiend

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/half-dragon

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/dread-vampire-cr-3

I was gonna play an Elan, my GM rules with the fluff over mechanics so I can play an old Elan and gain bonuses to mental stats.

Or I could play a Drow Noble.
I rolled up 18,18,16,16,14,14 as my scores (Yes I know)
And I did a bit of messing around and with the Elan and Drow I can manage a 30 Int and Str at level 1 if not at level 5.

I was thinking of a Drow Noble Half Fiend Dread Vampire
I did a quick run down of scores
30 Str; 32 Dex; - Con; 28 Int; 22 Wis; 28 Cha was my total.. for a level 5 character without using any money to buy an item to boost scores.