PDA

View Full Version : Rescuing a Homunculus and a Friend

unseenmage
2013-12-11, 02:50 AM
I have an Artificer who is about to go to war against a foe he has no right winning against.
He is concerned about that little clause for Homunculus where they die if he dies.
His Homunculus has been a loyal servant and friend and he's exploring means of saving him should the worst happen.

So far I've been trying to determine if a Contingent spell could do the trick, but I'm unsure of the RAW timing.
Maybe Contingent Greater Teleport the little guy into a vat of Quintessence until his master can be revived?
Maybe Contingent Temporal Stasis?

Then I struck on the idea of perhaps a Contingent Incarnate Construct spell. Except the casting time would need to be mitigated somehow...
Then I wondered; Would he even want his freedom and a living body? Would he prefer death?

How would one make such a determination? Perhaps using Diplomacy modifiers or Leadership modifiers to determine if the Homunculus would rather be preserved as my loyal creation or infused with life to become my loyal friend?

What does the Playground think? I'm looking for as flavorful an answer as possible too.
This is for a nigh epic, high powered (even for the Realms) Faerun game. The Construct in question is a Dedicated Wright Homunculus who has often been the beneficiary of Greater Humanoid Essence+Elation+Distilled Joy for the purposes of Ambrosia Farming.

AMFV
2013-12-11, 02:53 AM
I have an Artificer who is about to go to war against a foe he has no right winning against.
He is concerned about that little clause for Homunculus where they die if he dies.
His Homunculus has been a loyal servant and friend and he's exploring means of saving him should the worst happen.

So far I've been trying to determine if a Contingent spell could do the trick, but I'm unsure of the RAW timing.
Maybe Contingent Greater Teleport the little guy into a vat of Quintessence until his master can be revived?
Maybe Contingent Temporal Stasis?

Then I struck on the idea of perhaps a Contingent Incarnate Construct spell. Except the casting time would need to be mitigated somehow...
Then I wondered; Would he even want his freedom and a living body? Would he prefer death?

How would one make such a determination? Perhaps using Diplomacy modifiers or Leadership modifiers to determine if the Homunculus would rather be preserved as my loyal creation or infused with life to become my loyal friend?

What does the Playground think? I'm looking for as flavorful an answer as possible too.
This is for a nigh epic, high powered (even for the Realms) Faerun game. The Construct in question is a Dedicated Wright Homunculus who has often been the beneficiary of Greater Humanoid Essence+Elation+Distilled Joy for the purposes of Ambrosia Farming.

Does the homonucleus wish to survive if you die? I mean it's intelligent and it may not. If it does I'm sure there are ways you can make it survive, I would look into incarnate construct as the best way to do that, if you bring it into real life it should be able to survive on it's own.

Missed the last chunk of that, I would roleplay it with your DM personally, depending on how much of a personality you've given the thing. Also the contingent spell is cast prior to the contingency, so the casting time isn't a factor.

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-11, 02:57 AM
Oh dude you gotta save him in a fountain of quiescence. He's frozen in time. When you get brought back you free him

unseenmage
2013-12-11, 02:59 AM
Does the homonucleus wish to survive if you die? I mean it's intelligent and it may not. If it does I'm sure there are ways you can make it survive, I would look into incarnate construct as the best way to do that, if you bring it into real life it should be able to survive on it's own.

Missed the last chunk of that, I would roleplay it with your DM personally, depending on how much of a personality you've given the thing. Also the contingent spell is cast prior to the contingency, so the casting time isn't a factor.

The DM would side with me to make the decision as random as possible with a bias towards how well i have or have not treated it. That's why I was considering the Leadership modifiers and/or Diplomacy modifiers as inspiration. With a "completely loyal" creature you almost have to make a Diplomacy check just to get it to have an opinion of it's own.

AMFV
2013-12-11, 03:02 AM
The DM would side with me to make the decision as random as possible with a bias towards how well i have or have not treated it. That's why I was considering the Leadership modifiers and/or Diplomacy modifiers as inspiration. With a "completely loyal" creature you almost have to make a Diplomacy check just to get it to have an opinion of it's own.

Well it still might have an opinion of its own, I mean leadership doesn't eliminate free will, not even a little bit, that'd be the thrallherd type effect.

Again, don't forget that since you cast contingent spells prior, the casting time won't matter with the contingency.

unseenmage
2013-12-11, 03:05 AM
Well it still might have an opinion of its own, I mean leadership doesn't eliminate free will, not even a little bit, that'd be the thrallherd type effect.

Again, don't forget that since you cast contingent spells prior, the casting time won't matter with the contingency.

Actually it really doesn't have free will. Homunculus, as well as most Constructs, do not have free will. They're already very much in a Thrall-like state.

And would it be possible for you to cite some rules for that Contingency vs casting time? It's not that I disbelieve you, more that I'm just trying to wrap my brain around it as completely as I can. Thanks regardless.

AMFV
2013-12-11, 03:13 AM
Actually it really doesn't have free will. Homunculus, as well as most Constructs, do not have free will. They're already very much in a Thrall-like state.

Hmmm, that is a touchy question then, I would incarnate it before you leave then, kind of a last gesture. I mean it has no free will as of yet, and giving it free will is a good thing, I think.

Also freeing your servants before you go to die is an extremely common trope among warriors in fiction (and in real life), I would certainly do that.

And would it be possible for you to cite some rules for that Contingency vs casting time? It's not that I disbelieve you, more that I'm just trying to wrap my brain around it as completely as I can. Thanks regardless.

You can place another spell upon your person so that it comes into effect under some condition you dictate when casting contingency. The contingency spell and the companion spell are cast at the same time. The 10-minute casting time is the minimum total for both castings; if the companion spell has a casting time longer than 10 minutes, use that instead.

As you can see the spells are cast simultaneously when you set up the contingency. It lasts for probably 10+ days at your level.

Edit: Although re-reading it, you have to cast stuff that affects your person, so it'd be a houserule anyways. I would probably just incarnate him before leaving, the whole last gesture type thing.

Mr Adventurer
2013-12-11, 03:19 AM
I thought you could only have a number of Crafted Contingencies on you equal to your Con score, so Constructs and Undead can't have any because they don't have a Con score.

AMFV
2013-12-11, 03:29 AM
I thought you could only have a number of Crafted Contingencies on you equal to your Con score, so Constructs and Undead can't have any because they don't have a Con score.

We were discussing contingency, the spell, which wouldn't work here anyways. For the Construct to have that he would need "Craft Contingent Spell", which he probably doesn't have.

unseenmage
2013-12-11, 09:33 AM
As you can see the spells are cast simultaneously when you set up the contingency. It lasts for probably 10+ days at your level.

Edit: Although re-reading it, you have to cast stuff that affects your person, so it'd be a houserule anyways. I would probably just incarnate him before leaving, the whole last gesture type thing.

We were discussing contingency, the spell, which wouldn't work here anyways. For the Construct to have that he would need "Craft Contingent Spell", which he probably doesn't have.

Craft Contingent Spell is definitely on the table. High power, nigh epic game after all.