PDA

View Full Version : For DoTA players, what do you think of creating 3.5/PF versions of the items?

ShippoWildheart
2013-12-11, 02:57 AM
I had a random idea of inspiration. I had the idea of what if some items from DoTA were to be made into magic items in DnD. I feel a lot of the items can make for great fluff and easily create new homebrewed items.

For those unfamiliar with the game, I'll link the item that I mention from the game itself, and I'll try to DnD-ify it. Feel free to give your input; I'm not looking for good balance nor am I caring as much about details like what it would take to craft such items. I'm well aware some of this stuff may be grossly overpowered; if needed, these items can be made as artifacts to prevent them from being easily mass produced. I'm merely pouring out from my mind these ideas so they don't get lost forever and people here can draw inspiration for their own games.

1. Armlet of Mordiggian
http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Armlet_of_Mordiggian

Fluff: At first this plated armband looks like it's merely a piece of armor, but offers great powers at a great price. This powerful armlet can be activated to draw forth the users inner strengths, allowing them power and increased aptitude beyond their normal limits.

Inner energies allow the armlet to sense the user's best strengths, and draws them out accordingly. At the cost of using this item, the strain of the increased powers flowing through their body slowly strains and damages it until turned off.

Purpose of item: To give martial characters a shiny new toy to play with

DnD version:

Passive benefits:
-The user gains a +3 shield bonus to their AC. This doesn't interfere with weapon wielding nor does it give an armor penalty
-User gains Fast Healing 7
-User gains a +1 bonus to their attack rolls and damage rolls
-User can't fall below 1 HP due to damage from the armlet's active effect or turning the armlet off at low HP levels

Armlet of Mordiggian may be activated as a swift action to gain the following active effects starting next round

Positive benefits:
-User is affected as if he or she has gained the effects of Haste
-User gains an untyped bonus of +4 to CON
-User gains an additional +3 to damage rolls

Negative benefits
-User loses Fast Healing 7 due to taking constant damage from the armlet
-User takes 10 damage per round. This can't be negated, but lasting damage can be delayed by temporary HP or constantly healing the user
-If the user is unconscious, the armlet automatically turns itself off to prevent unnecessarily damage done to the user
-If the user's HP falls down to 1 while the armlet is still activated, the user won't take any further damage from the strain, but once turned off the user will be exhausted for ten minutes for each round that the user has the armlet activated beyond the body's limit

-In addition, the user gains different benefits depending on whether they are stronger or more dextrous (aka higher STR or higher DEX, to prevent abuse, the armlet looks at base STR or DEX):

STR benefit:
-User gains an +6 bonus to STR
-User gains an additional +4 bonus to CON (+8 CON total)
-User gains damage reduction 5/-. This stacks on top of any other damage reduction the user may already have
-The user's weapon damage is counted as one size larger
-User's attack bonus penalty for Power Attacks are reduced by up to 2, and the Power Attack damage bonus is increased by 1.5x (rounded down)

DEX benefit:
-User gains a +4 bonus to DEX
-User gains an addition +2 bonus to CON (+6 CON total)
-User's penalties with wielding two weapons is further reduced by -2 (meaning with the two-weapon fighting feat the user has no attack penalties at all for wielding two weapons)
-User's weapons deal an additional +2d6 damage per attack, but they deal an additional +3d6 per hit if they are using a two handed weapon
-User can deal a full attack as part of a standard action

Scrapped idea for allowing the armlet to benefit more pure casters (if their caster stat is higher than both their STR and DEX):
-User gains an additional +4 bonus to their caster stat (so all casters can benefit and not just Wizards)
-As a free action after casting a spell, the user can cast an additional spell from their spell list that's at least 3 levels lower than the highest level spell casted that round. Doing so still uses up the spell from the user's daily spells per day (it's like a free Quickened Spell)
-User gains an additional +5 bonus to their caster level to overcome spell resistance

Onto the next items, Hood of Defiance and Pipe of Insight:

2. Hood of Defiance
http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Hood_of_Defiance

Fluff:This normal looking hood boasts considerable spell reduction that can make anyone less afraid of fighting magic users by dampening harmful effects. In addition, this hood helps the user slowly recover from damages inflicted upon their body from such damages.

Purpose of item: To make an item that can help make scary magic users less scary, and especially help non-magic users have a better chance.

Benefits:
-Any magical damage or magical effects that have a duration that affects the user is cut by half. Bodily and ability damage is therefore cut in 1/2 rounded down, and the user only suffers 1/2 the duration of harmful debuffs (minimum 1 round).
-If the user is afflicted with a negative condition bestowed by a magic effect, the condition of the person is lessened by one stage. If a user is exhausted by a spell, they are instead fatigued. If the user is fatigued, they are instead not effected at all.
-User gains Fast Healing 8 for 10 rounds if they are affected by a magical effect. If the user is affected again before the Fast Healing finishes, the duration is reset back to 10 rounds.

3. Pipe of Insight
http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Pipe_of_Insight

Fluff:Deciding that wearing an entire magic dampening hood is too noticeable, a mad wizard decided to break the laws of physics to try to focus all the powers of the Hood of Defiance into a single small object. This man really enjoyed smoking his pipe as he works, and therefore considered it the perfect item to store such powers. Obviously, the wizard didn't just want to make a copy of the hood; therefore, he improved upon it. With a mental thought and a single puff, magical green smoke exits the pipe and envelopes the user and all of their surrounding allies with a magical barrier that can save them from harmful spells.

Purpose of item: To create an item that is a great for team support, and can save a party from a powerful damage spell.

Benefits:-User gains all the benefits of the Hood of Defiance, except where noted
-Instead of Fast Healing 8, the user gains Fast Healing 11 when hit with a harmful magical spell or effect
-The pipe comes with 8 charges per day. The user can use more charges for a more powerful effect. Each time the pipe is activated, the user can't use the active effects of the pipe for ten minutes per charge used.
-As a swift action, the user gives a mental thought and smokes the pipe to give a magical barrier to all allied creatures in a 50 feet burst. This magical barrier lasts for 10 rounds. The benefits depends on the amount of charges that the user wants to use:

1 charge: User and all allies gain a magical barrier than can stop up to 75 damage, and a +1 bonus to all of their saves.

2 charges: User and all allies gain Resist Energy 5 to all energy types, as well as gaining a barrier than can stop up to 90 damage and a +2 bonus to all of their saves. In addition, all affected creatures don't lose up to 5 ability damage due to magical effects.

3 charges: User and all allies gain Resist Energy 10 to all energy types, as well as gaining a barrier than can stop up to 120 damage and a +3 bonus to all of their saves. In addition, all affected creatures don't lose up to 10 ability damage due to magical effects.

4 charges: User and all allies gain Resist Energy 15 to all energy types, as well as gaining a barrier than can stop up to 160 damage and a +4 bonus to all of their saves. Affected creatures are immune to level drain. In addition, all affected creatures don't lose up to 15 ability damage due to magical effects.

5 charges: User and all allies gain Resist Energy 20 to all energy types, as well as gaining a barrier than can stop up to 210 damage and a +5 bonus to all of their saves. Affected creatures are immune to level drain. In addition, all affected creatures don't lose up to 20 ability damage due to magical effects.

6 charges: User and all allies gain Resist Energy 25 to all energy types, as well as gaining a barrier than can stop up to 270 damage and a +6 bonus to all of their saves. Affected creatures are immune to level drain. In addition, all affected creatures don't lose up to 25 ability damage due to magical effects.

7 charges: User and all allies gain Resist Energy 30 to all energy types, as well as gaining a barrier than can stop up to 340 damage and a +7 bonus to all of their saves. Affected creatures are immune to level drain. In addition, all affected creatures don't lose up to 30 ability damage due to magical effects.

8 charges: User and all allies gain Resist Energy 40 to all energy types, as well as gaining a barrier than can stop up to 420 damage and a +10 bonus to all of their saves vs magical effects. Affected creatures are immune to level drain. In addition, all affected creatures don't lose up to 40 ability damage due to magical effects.

Onto to damage items, Stygian Desolator, Crystalys, and Daedelus.

4. Stygian Desolator
http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Desolator

Purpose of item: To give a user damage as well as making those giant scary armored creatures less scary.

Fluff:Appearing as a simple red bloody hook, this item can be attached to any weapon as a move action to grant the benefits of magically tearing into the enemy's armor, temporarily making that enemy less protected from future attacks. The magical hook doesn't change the color of the weapon, but ranged weapon ammo affected by the book would change to a crimson red.

Benefits:
-User gains a +6 bonus to their damage rolls
-As long as the attack can meet the enemy's touch AC, the affect enemy takes a -7 penalty to their AC. This effect lasts for up to 15 rounds and doesn't stack upon itself. If the enemy is attacked again with the Desolator touched weapon, the duration is refreshed back to 15 rounds.
-If attached to a ranged weapon, the ranged weapon's ammo are all able to tear into the enemy's armor. Ranged throwing weapons such as javelins and daggers can be affected by the Desolator without having to throw the hook along with the weapon, but that throwing weapon will only retain the benefit of the Desolator for one round

5. Crystalys (+2 enchantment bonus)
http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Crystalys

Purpose of item: Make critical builds more viable

Fluff:Magic users can sense an aura of a red crystal sword emanating from the weapon.

Benefits:-A Crystalys weapon grants an additional +3 damage on a successful hit. In addition, the weapon doubles it's critical threat range, and increases it's critical multiplier by one. In addition, the weapon gains a +2 bonus to confirming critical hits. This doesn't stack with other critical increasing weapon enchantments.

5. Daedalus (+4 enchantment bonus)
http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Daedalus

Purpose of item: Make critical builds even more viable

Fluff:Magic users can sense a faint aura emanating from the weapon in the shape of a crossbow made with perfection

Benefits:-A Daedalus weapon grants an additional +8 damage on a successful hit. In addition, the weapon quadruples it's critical threat range, and increases it's critical multiplier by two. In addition, the weapon gains a +3 bonus to confirming critical hits. This doesn't stack with other critical increasing weapon enchantments.

That's all I got for now. I can only hope this gives some of you guys ideas for new homebrewed items. I myself had fun brainstorming the conversion of these choice items.

anacalgion
2013-12-11, 11:25 AM
Fellow DoTA player here. I've only got my phone on me now, but this intrigues me. I'll do a full PEACH and add some stuff later when I get the chance.

zabbarot
2013-12-11, 02:07 PM
Just tossing this out, a scimitar with Daedalus would crit on a 9 or higher. Basically if it's high enough to hit it's high enough to crit. It gets more obscene if you have a great falchion from Sandstorm since it's basically a greatsword with the same crit chance.

anacalgion
2013-12-11, 10:39 PM
PEACH time! In bold!

1. Armlet of Mordiggian
http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Armlet_of_Mordiggian

Fluff: At first this plated armband looks like it's merely a piece of armor, but offers great powers at a great price. This powerful armlet can be activated to draw forth the users inner strengths, allowing them power and increased aptitude beyond their normal limits.

Inner energies allow the armlet to sense the user's best strengths, and draws them out accordingly. At the cost of using this item, the strain of the increased powers flowing through their body slowly strains and damages it until turned off.

Yay.

Purpose of item: To give martial characters a shiny new toy to play with

A noble idea.

DnD version:

Passive benefits:
-The user gains a +3 shield bonus to their AC. This doesn't interfere with weapon wielding nor does it give an armor penalty
-User gains Fast Healing 7
-User gains a +1 bonus to their attack rolls and damage rolls
-User can't fall below 1 HP due to damage from the armlet's active effect or turning the armlet off at low HP levels

Well, except no. For starters, balancing fast healing 7 is going to be a pain. I'd recommend either dropping that part, or nerfing it significantly. It's not integral to what armlet does, and you can't move items over perfectly. Also, +1 to attack and damage rolls is negligible. I'd consider increasing that.

Armlet of Mordiggian may be activated as a swift action to gain the following active effects starting next round

Positive benefits:
-User is affected as if he or she has gained the effects of Haste
-User gains an untyped bonus of +4 to CON
-User gains an additional +3 to damage rolls

Except you didn't really give it a strength bonus, which is what armlet does. My personal recommendation would be to make armlet give temporary hit points when you turn it on, and then make it deal you damage. Tag on a few points of strength while you're at it and you've got something nice and effective that you can toggle.

Negative benefits
-User loses Fast Healing 7 due to taking constant damage from the armlet
-User takes 10 damage per round. This can't be negated, but lasting damage can be delayed by temporary HP or constantly healing the user
-If the user is unconscious, the armlet automatically turns itself off to prevent unnecessarily damage done to the user
-If the user's HP falls down to 1 while the armlet is still activated, the user won't take any further damage from the strain, but once turned off the user will be exhausted for ten minutes for each round that the user has the armlet activated beyond the body's limit

Actually, armlet shouldn't disable the fast healing (If you keep the fast healing). It mostly just deals you a lot of damage. Also, between the damage and the exhaustion, I can't see any instance I'd actually want to turn this armlet on. Something to think about.

-In addition, the user gains different benefits depending on whether they are stronger or more dextrous (aka higher STR or higher DEX, to prevent abuse, the armlet looks at base STR or DEX):

STR benefit:
-User gains an +6 bonus to STR
-User gains an additional +4 bonus to CON (+8 CON total)
-User gains damage reduction 5/-. This stacks on top of any other damage reduction the user may already have
-The user's weapon damage is counted as one size larger
-User's attack bonus penalty for Power Attacks are reduced by up to 2, and the Power Attack damage bonus is increased by 1.5x (rounded down)

DEX benefit:
-User gains a +4 bonus to DEX
-User gains an addition +2 bonus to CON (+6 CON total)
-User's penalties with wielding two weapons is further reduced by -2 (meaning with the two-weapon fighting feat the user has no attack penalties at all for wielding two weapons)
-User's weapons deal an additional +2d6 damage per attack, but they deal an additional +3d6 per hit if they are using a two handed weapon
-User can deal a full attack as part of a standard action

Oh, ok, more stuff. It's not bad, but at this point armlet is getting really complicated. You're handing out small bonuses left and right, and it gets to be a lot to keep track of. You could consider consolidating its abilities.

Scrapped idea for allowing the armlet to benefit more pure casters (if their caster stat is higher than both their STR and DEX):
-User gains an additional +4 bonus to their caster stat (so all casters can benefit and not just Wizards)
-As a free action after casting a spell, the user can cast an additional spell from their spell list that's at least 3 levels lower than the highest level spell casted that round. Doing so still uses up the spell from the user's daily spells per day (it's like a free Quickened Spell)
-User gains an additional +5 bonus to their caster level to overcome spell resistance

Trust me. No. Just no.

Onto the next items, Hood of Defiance and Pipe of Insight:

2. Hood of Defiance
http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Hood_of_Defiance

Fluff:This normal looking hood boasts considerable spell reduction that can make anyone less afraid of fighting magic users by dampening harmful effects. In addition, this hood helps the user slowly recover from damages inflicted upon their body from such damages.

Purpose of item: To make an item that can help make scary magic users less scary, and especially help non-magic users have a better chance.

Or just make wizards more awesome, but that's not the point.

Benefits:
-Any magical damage or magical effects that have a duration that affects the user is cut by half. Bodily and ability damage is therefore cut in 1/2 rounded down, and the user only suffers 1/2 the duration of harmful debuffs (minimum 1 round).
-If the user is afflicted with a negative condition bestowed by a magic effect, the condition of the person is lessened by one stage. If a user is exhausted by a spell, they are instead fatigued. If the user is fatigued, they are instead not effected at all.
-User gains Fast Healing 8 for 10 rounds if they are affected by a magical effect. If the user is affected again before the Fast Healing finishes, the duration is reset back to 10 rounds.

The core idea, reducing spell effects, is cool. I like it a lot. Fast healing 8 for a minute? Don't like that so much. Again, you're handing out too much fast healing where it isn't really needed.

3. Pipe of Insight
http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Pipe_of_Insight

Fluff:Deciding that wearing an entire magic dampening hood is too noticeable, a mad wizard decided to break the laws of physics to try to focus all the powers of the Hood of Defiance into a single small object. This man really enjoyed smoking his pipe as he works, and therefore considered it the perfect item to store such powers. Obviously, the wizard didn't just want to make a copy of the hood; therefore, he improved upon it. With a mental thought and a single puff, magical green smoke exits the pipe and envelopes the user and all of their surrounding allies with a magical barrier that can save them from harmful spells.

Pretty much. Looks good.

Purpose of item: To create an item that is a great for team support, and can save a party from a powerful damage spell.

Benefits:-User gains all the benefits of the Hood of Defiance, except where noted
-Instead of Fast Healing 8, the user gains Fast Healing 11 when hit with a harmful magical spell or effect
-The pipe comes with 8 charges per day. The user can use more charges for a more powerful effect. Each time the pipe is activated, the user can't use the active effects of the pipe for ten minutes per charge used.
-As a swift action, the user gives a mental thought and smokes the pipe to give a magical barrier to all allied creatures in a 50 feet burst. This magical barrier lasts for 10 rounds. The benefits depends on the amount of charges that the user wants to use:

1 charge: User and all allies gain a magical barrier than can stop up to 75 damage, and a +1 bonus to all of their saves.

2 charges: User and all allies gain Resist Energy 5 to all energy types, as well as gaining a barrier than can stop up to 90 damage and a +2 bonus to all of their saves. In addition, all affected creatures don't lose up to 5 ability damage due to magical effects.

3 charges: User and all allies gain Resist Energy 10 to all energy types, as well as gaining a barrier than can stop up to 120 damage and a +3 bonus to all of their saves. In addition, all affected creatures don't lose up to 10 ability damage due to magical effects.

4 charges: User and all allies gain Resist Energy 15 to all energy types, as well as gaining a barrier than can stop up to 160 damage and a +4 bonus to all of their saves. Affected creatures are immune to level drain. In addition, all affected creatures don't lose up to 15 ability damage due to magical effects.

5 charges: User and all allies gain Resist Energy 20 to all energy types, as well as gaining a barrier than can stop up to 210 damage and a +5 bonus to all of their saves. Affected creatures are immune to level drain. In addition, all affected creatures don't lose up to 20 ability damage due to magical effects.

6 charges: User and all allies gain Resist Energy 25 to all energy types, as well as gaining a barrier than can stop up to 270 damage and a +6 bonus to all of their saves. Affected creatures are immune to level drain. In addition, all affected creatures don't lose up to 25 ability damage due to magical effects.

7 charges: User and all allies gain Resist Energy 30 to all energy types, as well as gaining a barrier than can stop up to 340 damage and a +7 bonus to all of their saves. Affected creatures are immune to level drain. In addition, all affected creatures don't lose up to 30 ability damage due to magical effects.

8 charges: User and all allies gain Resist Energy 40 to all energy types, as well as gaining a barrier than can stop up to 420 damage and a +10 bonus to all of their saves vs magical effects. Affected creatures are immune to level drain. In addition, all affected creatures don't lose up to 40 ability damage due to magical effects.

You should specify what kind of damage the barrier can block. Also, I'd consider just letting them spend one charge at a time. It's simpler, and it lets you balance the item more effectively. Otherwise that you either have to use all of the charges of to be effective past a certain level, or gives you a way to become invulnerable at lower levels.

Onto to damage items, Stygian Desolator, Crystalys, and Daedelus.

Exciting.

4. Stygian Desolator
http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Desolator

Purpose of item: To give a user damage as well as making those giant scary armored creatures less scary.

Fluff:Appearing as a simple red bloody hook, this item can be attached to any weapon as a move action to grant the benefits of magically tearing into the enemy's armor, temporarily making that enemy less protected from future attacks. The magical hook doesn't change the color of the weapon, but ranged weapon ammo affected by the book would change to a crimson red.

Benefits:
-User gains a +6 bonus to their damage rolls
-As long as the attack can meet the enemy's touch AC, the affect enemy takes a -7 penalty to their AC. This effect lasts for up to 15 rounds and doesn't stack upon itself. If the enemy is attacked again with the Desolator touched weapon, the duration is refreshed back to 15 rounds.
-If attached to a ranged weapon, the ranged weapon's ammo are all able to tear into the enemy's armor. Ranged throwing weapons such as javelins and daggers can be affected by the Desolator without having to throw the hook along with the weapon, but that throwing weapon will only retain the benefit of the Desolator for one round

Just make it a unique magic weapon. That'd be a lot better, and you'd avoid the awkward "+6 damage", which just feels tagged on. Also, 15 rounds is a minute and a half. 15 seconds is about 3 rounds. Also, while I know that Desolator reduces armor, this makes it easier to hit people rather than amplifying physical damage. Not sure how to go about changing that, but its something to think about.

5. Crystalys (+2 enchantment bonus)
http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Crystalys

Purpose of item: Make critical builds more viable

Fluff:Magic users can sense an aura of a red crystal sword emanating from the weapon.

Benefits:-A Crystalys weapon grants an additional +3 damage on a successful hit. In addition, the weapon doubles it's critical threat range, and increases it's critical multiplier by one. In addition, the weapon gains a +2 bonus to confirming critical hits. This doesn't stack with other critical increasing weapon enchantments.

Again, this should really be a specific magic weapon. Also, +3 damage again is weird.

5. Daedalus (+4 enchantment bonus)
http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Daedalus

Purpose of item: Make critical builds even more viable

Fluff:Magic users can sense a faint aura emanating from the weapon in the shape of a crossbow made with perfection

Benefits:-A Daedalus weapon grants an additional +8 damage on a successful hit. In addition, the weapon quadruples it's critical threat range, and increases it's critical multiplier by two. In addition, the weapon gains a +3 bonus to confirming critical hits. This doesn't stack with other critical increasing weapon enchantments.

See Crystalys.

That's all I got for now. I can only hope this gives some of you guys ideas for new homebrewed items. I myself had fun brainstorming the conversion of these choice items.

Me too. Looks like fun stuff. I'll add anything if I feel inspired. Also, if you've got any experience with the binder, I was thinking about 'brewing vestiges for DotA heroes. Just a thought.