PDA

View Full Version : Spells with XP cost?

171akup
2013-12-11, 03:02 AM
Currently trying to make a 3.5 campaign and putting in customized rules and I wanna know any good ways to substitute the xp cost. I currently know of 3 but I won't use children souls the other 2 are using your own blood and a magical gem that contains a certain amount of xp that can be used in the spell. For the blood I need a die that would work and other substitutions. :smallbiggrin:

AMFV
2013-12-11, 03:05 AM
Currently trying to make a 3.5 campaign and putting in customized rules and I wanna know any good ways to substitute the xp cost. I currently know of 3 but I won't use children souls the other 2 are using your own blood and a magical gem that contains a certain amount of xp that can be used in the spell. For the blood I need a die that would work and other substitutions. :smallbiggrin:

I would probably not use either of those, since they'd reduce the opportunity cost from XP spells to virtually nothing.

You could have a con damage roll based on the amount of experience, then have the player have to save against massive damage, although a necropolitan Wizard could bypass that quite easily.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-12-11, 04:32 AM
Assuming you're the DM you could just replace the XP costs with costly material components worth 5gp per 1xp. This is the normal exchange rate for gold to xp and this is what the folks at paizo did when they created pathfinder.

If you're looking for ways in the system that already exist then there's ambrosia and agony worth 3xp a dose each, mortal souls worth 10xp each, a variable but usually higher value of XP for humanoid sacrifice, and the artificer's craft reserve (though that can only be used by creating scrolls).

Honestly though, I wouldn't worry about it. Burning off enough XP to matter requires that the caster should spam the living hell out of spells with xp components and/or crafts a metric crap-ton of items.

171akup
2013-12-11, 02:54 PM
Assuming you're the DM you could just replace the XP costs with costly material components worth 5gp per 1xp. This is the normal exchange rate for gold to xp and this is what the folks at paizo did when they created pathfinder.

If you're looking for ways in the system that already exist then there's ambrosia and agony worth 3xp a dose each, mortal souls worth 10xp each, a variable but usually higher value of XP for humanoid sacrifice, and the artificer's craft reserve (though that can only be used by creating scrolls).

Honestly though, I wouldn't worry about it. Burning off enough XP to matter requires that the caster should spam the living hell out of spells with xp components and/or crafts a metric crap-ton of items.

Thx that is very helpful. Also I have been looking for a list of every single spell with an xp cost and also the cost. :smallbiggrin:

Mountain
2013-12-11, 03:38 PM
Thx that is very helpful. Also I have been looking for a list of every single spell with an xp cost and also the cost. :smallbiggrin:

There is a site called Dndtools.eu that has an advanced search option that can do just that. I use it all the time.

Psyren
2013-12-11, 03:58 PM
Ambrosia/Joy and Agony only apply to item creation. So you would have to make items containing the spells and activate those, rather than casting the spells directly.

Joy can be used directly while spellcasting but it does something else.