PDA

View Full Version : Feats that require Cha?

qwertyu63
2013-12-11, 10:15 AM
I need a feat that has a Charisma requirement. I am making a homebrew Cha-based class, and I want to use a feat to set a Charisma requirement. Thank you in advance.

EDIT: I found Hostile Mind and Chaotic Mind. The latter doesn't work due to the alignment requirement of it, but the former works. I would prefer to avoid psionics if I could, so other ideas are still welcome.

Red Bear
2013-12-11, 10:27 AM
I need a feat that has a Charisma requirement. I am making a homebrew Cha-based class, and I want to use a feat to set a Charisma requirement. Thank you in advance.

EDIT: I found Hostile Mind and Chaotic Mind. The latter doesn't work due to the alignment requirement of it, but the former works. I would prefer to avoid psionics if I could, so other ideas are still welcome.

After a quick google search I found these 9 feats:
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/3.5e_Charisma_Feats

P.s.
Does your signature mean "always be merciful, never stop learning"?

Khatoblepas
2013-12-11, 10:29 AM
Force of Personality (CAdv) requires Cha 13 and allows you to use your Charisma for Will Saves vs. Mind Affecting

Precocious Apprentice (CArc) requires Cha 15 if you're wanting to go spontaneous.

Unnatural Will (HoH) requires Cha 12 and adds your Cha vs. Fear Effects

Charming (DraComp) requires Cha 13 and gives you a +3 on Charisma rolls to exert control over a target of a mind affecting spell.

qwertyu63
2013-12-11, 10:31 AM
After a quick google search I found these 9 feats:
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/3.5e_Charisma_Feats

Those feats are (as most stuff on that site is) homebrew. Making up a homebrew feat is plan B, but I am trying to find a first party feat that fits my needs.

P.s.
Does your signature mean "always be merciful, never stop learning"?

Pretty much.

Force of Personality (CAdv) requires Cha 13 and allows you to use your Charisma for Will Saves vs. Mind Affecting

Precocious Apprentice (CArc) requires Cha 15 if you're wanting to go spontaneous.

Unnatural Will (HoH) requires Cha 12 and adds your Cha vs. Fear Effects

Charming (DraComp) requires Cha 13 and gives you a +3 on Charisma rolls to exert control over a target of a mind affecting spell.

Down the line:
Force of Personality: could work.
Precocious Apprentice: doesn't work, not a spellcasting PRC.
Unnatural Will: its effect works perfectly, I'd rather avoid the feat req., but this is now plan A
Charming: not a casting PRC.

Joe the Rat
2013-12-11, 10:35 AM
I suppose it would depend on what else your class is supposed to be doing with that charisma.

Some of my favorites:

Force of Personality (CA 109) req: Cha 13. Use CHA mod instead of WIS mod for WIll saves against Mind-affecting spells/abilities (edit: swordsaged!)

Goad (CA 109): req CHA 13, BAB +1. As a move action, force an opponent to only melee against you for one turn. (Willsave negates, does not prevent non-melee actions against other targets)

Kiai Shout (CW 102): req CHA 13, BAB +1. Standard action: Shout and all opponents with fewer HD than you, within 30' must make a Will save or be shaken for 1d6 rounds. Also has a big brother (Greater Kiai - requires BAB+9) that Panics for 2d6 rounds.

Imperious Command (DotU 50): Intimidate 8 ranks, CHA 15. A successfully demoralized opponent covers in fear for 1 round, then is shaken the following round.

{{scrubbed}}

Talya
2013-12-11, 10:35 AM
Many fun charisma-based feats require existing class features.

For instance:
Divine Might (charisma to damage for 1 round, uses a turn undead attempt)
Divine Shield (charimsa to ac for several rounds, uses a turn undead attempt)
Snowflake Wardance (charisma to hit for several rounds, consumes one use of bardic music)

Third party, the E.N. World book "Chainmail Bikini" has a feat called "Hot & Violent" which adds charisma to damage permanently against creatures that could conceivably find you sexually attractive. ;)

Joe the Rat
2013-12-11, 10:37 AM
Third party, the E.N. World book "Chainmail Bikini" has a feat called "Hot & Violent" which adds charisma to damage permanently against creatures that could conceivably find you sexually attractive. ;)So against humans and dragons, then?

Talya
2013-12-11, 10:41 AM
So against humans and dragons, then?

Dragons seriously get screwed over by that feat.

But then again, so do fiends and celestials.

Andezzar
2013-12-11, 10:41 AM
If you want to enforce a minimum charisma on a PrC, why not just require a minimum charisma?
Why do you wish to impose a feat tax?

qwertyu63
2013-12-11, 10:42 AM
I suppose it would depend on what else your class is supposed to be doing with that charisma.

A couple of details:
Charming Battle (Su):
Magic girls can use their charm in combat. Starting at level 2, the magic girl can use their Charisma modifier on attack and damage rolls instead of the normal ability score (Strength or Dexterity, depending on the attack) while transformed.

(this is a power the class can get)
Ray of Light: The magic girl can, as a standard action, send a ray of light at one foe. To target a foe, the magic girl must have line of sight and line of effect. This is a ranged touch attack with no range limit. If the ray hits, the target takes 1d6 + the magic girl's Charisma modifier damage. This damage is increased by +1d6 if the magic girl is within 5 feet of the target.

Some of my favorites:

Force of Personality (CA 109) req: Cha 13. Use CHA mod instead of WIS mod for WIll saves against Mind-affecting spells/abilities (edit: swordsaged!)

Goad (CA 109): req CHA 13, BAB +1. As a move action, force an opponent to only melee against you for one turn. (Willsave negates, does not prevent non-melee actions against other targets)

Kiai Shout (CW 102): req CHA 13, BAB +1. Standard action: Shout and all opponents with fewer HD than you, within 30' must make a Will save or be shaken for 1d6 rounds. Also has a big brother (Greater Kiai - requires BAB+9) that Panics for 2d6 rounds.

Imperious Command (DotU 50): Intimidate 8 ranks, CHA 15. A successfully demoralized opponent covers in fear for 1 round, then is shaken the following round.

... (Link presnipped)

I was trying to get that site to spit out a list of that, but I couldn't get it to play nice.

As for the feats you listed: all work crunch-wise, but have fluff issues.

Third party, the E.N. World book "Chainmail Bikini" has a feat called "Hot & Violent" which adds charisma to damage permanently against creatures that could conceivably find you sexually attractive. ;)

:smalleek:

If you want to enforce a minimum charisma on a PrC, why not just require a minimum charisma?
Why do you wish to impose a feat tax?

The rules of good design do via a feat. It is poor design to have an ability score requirement directly.

Telonius
2013-12-11, 10:51 AM
Here's all I could find using some old reference files...

Kiai Shout (Complete Warrior)
Greater Kiai Shout (Complete Warrior)
Improved Smiting (Complete Divine)
Force of Personality (Complete Adventurer)
Goad (Complete Adventurer, Miniatures Handbook)
Sociable Personality (Races of Destiny)
Clan Prestige (Races of Stone)
Burrow Friend (Races of Stone)
Dallah Thaun's Luck (Races of the Wild)
Undead Empathy (Eberron Campaign Setting)
Perfect Reflection (Players Guide to Eberron)
Lucid Channeling (Faiths of Eberron)
Wrest Possession (Faiths of Eberron)
Magical Training (Players' Guide to Faerun) *requires Int or Cha
Master Manipulator (PHB2)
Battlefield Inspiration (Miniatures Handbook)
Dragon Steed (Draconomicon)
Dragon Song (Draconomicon)
Dragon Friend (Draconomicon)
Dragon Familiar (Draconomicon)
Frightful Presence (Draconomicon)
Daunting Presence (Libris Mortis, Miniatures Handbook)
Profane Vigor (Libris Mortis)
Heighten Turning (Libris Mortis)
Scourge of the Seas (Stormwrack)
Sanctify Martial Strike (Book of Exalted Deeds)
Animal Friend (Book of Exalted Deeds)
Fist of the Heavens (Book of Exalted Deeds)
Holy Ki Strike (Book of Exalted Deeds)
Sanctify Ki Strike (Book of Exalted Deeds)
Hands of the Healer (Book of Exalted Deeds)
Holy Radiance (Book of Exalted Deeds)
Words of Creation (Book of Exalted Deeds)

Commanding (Dragon 312)
Charming (Dragon 312)
Radiant Spell (Dragon 314)
Burning Focus (Dragon 314)
Flash Casting (Dragon 314)
Improved Leadership (Dragon 317)
[Several Commander feats] (Dragon 323)
Pirate Luck (Dragon 323)
Innate Magic (Dragon 324)
Disease Bolt (Dragon 327)
Disease Shield (Dragon 327)
Undead Command (Dragon 327)
Holy Calling (Dragon 334)
Improved Disguise (Dragon 335)
Touched by Ether (Dragon 343)
Countenance of the Mage (Dragon 359)
Presence of the Mage (Dragon 359)
Blood of the Witch Queen (Dragon 359)
Spawn of the Dark Prince (Dragon 359)

Joe the Rat
2013-12-11, 10:57 AM
Ah, Magical Girls.

Force of Personality has potential. Low Wisdom is an epidemic amongst protagonists. Dragontouched (Dragon Magic) has a low Cha requirement (11), and gives dragonblood subtype and a couple other bonuses (1hp, +1 to senses checks, +1 on sleep/paralysis saves.. you know, dragon stuff). A tweaked version of this might be a good entry feat, if there is a specific subtype that would fit with your empowerment source.

Not as an entry, but I'd suggest Rebuilding Kiai as a class feature that activates when they do their full-round transformation action. It keeps your opponents from doing anything until you've finished.

You are requiring an elaborate transformation sequence, right?

Zanos
2013-12-11, 11:07 AM
The rules of good design do via a feat. It is poor design to have an ability score requirement directly.
/nitpicking
The rules of consistent design say that. It fits better since no PrC I'm aware of has an ability score requirement, and it's convential for PrCs to have feat requirements. An ability score requirement wouldn't be the most ridiculous pre-req for a PrC I've ever seen, considering Eunuch Warlock(snip) and Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu(duel a hippo) exist.

I think most people will agree that feat tax is poor design, since by it's nature it admits that some feats simply aren't worth taking in the majority of circumstances.

qwertyu63
2013-12-11, 11:10 AM
Ah, Magical Girls.

Force of Personality has potential. Low Wisdom is an epidemic amongst protagonists. Dragontouched (Dragon Magic) has a low Cha requirement (11), and gives dragonblood subtype and a couple other bonuses (1hp, +1 to senses checks, +1 on sleep/paralysis saves.. you know, dragon stuff). A tweaked version of this might be a good entry feat, if there is a specific subtype that would fit with your empowerment source.

They are powered by hope, I'm pretty sure there is no dragon for that.

Force of Personality could work.

Not as an entry, but I'd suggest Rebuilding Kiai as a class feature that activates when they do their full-round transformation action. It keeps your opponents from doing anything until you've finished.

You are requiring an elaborate transformation sequence, right?

I'll let this speak for itself:
Transform (Su):
As a full-round action, a magic girl can transform into a more powerful form. To transform, the magic girl must have their charm. While in this form, they have access to a wide range of powers.

A magic girl can transform back as a free action, and can be transformed for a total of 10 minutes per magic girl level per day, divided as they see fit. If a transformed magic girl falls unconscious, they instantly transform back.

/nitpicking
The rules of consistent design say that. It fits better since no PrC I'm aware of has an ability score requirement, and it's convential for PrCs to have feat requirements. An ability score requirement wouldn't be the most ridiculous pre-req for a PrC I've ever seen, considering Eunuch Warlock(snip) and Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu(duel a hippo) exist.

I think most people will agree that feat tax is poor design, since by it's nature it admits that some feats simply aren't worth taking in the majority of circumstances.

Fair enough. Also, duel a hippo? I know it does exist, but why?

Andezzar
2013-12-11, 11:22 AM
The rules of good design do via a feat. It is poor design to have an ability score requirement directly.They do? I never heard about such a rule. While I don't like requiring certain attributes either, I don't see how disguising the requirement and requiring a feat tax is much better.
Good design would be to require a feat, which fits thematically with the PrC and whose benefits are expanded and/or improved by he PrC.

I am not familiar with Magical Girls so I cannot help with finding appropriate entry feats.

qwertyu63
2013-12-11, 11:28 AM
They do? I never heard about such a rule. While I don't like requiring certain attributes either, I don't see how disguising the requirement and requiring a feat tax is much better.
Good design would be to require a feat, which fits thematically with the PrC and whose benefits are expanded and/or improved by he PrC.

I am not familiar with Magical Girls so I cannot help with finding appropriate entry feats.

Yeah, read Zanos' post. He said what I mean better than me. "[D]isguising the requirement and requiring a feat tax" is exactly the way most official PrC's do it.

EDIT: Also, I have now made a thread for the class. So, I would like to direct any further discussion to this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319271).

Talya
2013-12-11, 11:55 AM
Several exalted feats have very high charisma requirements, but they may run afoul of not wanting to limit alignment/behavior.