PDA

View Full Version : Help Picking Maneuvers

LordAshenshield
2013-12-11, 03:09 PM
Alright so my character is part Warblade in a very INT synched tristalt build with a Psion and a Factotum.

But I have never really played with a Warblade before so I need insight on what schools to focus on and a few of the best examples for a level 4 Warblade to take.

My list says 5 maneuvers and 2 stances. How does having a high Int effect a Warblade's maneuvers or does it?

Red Fel
2013-12-11, 03:29 PM
Alright so my character is part Warblade in a very INT synched tristalt build with a Psion and a Factotum.

But I have never really played with a Warblade before so I need insight on what schools to focus on and a few of the best examples for a level 4 Warblade to take.

My list says 5 maneuvers and 2 stances. How does having a high Int effect a Warblade's maneuvers or does it?

Unlike casters, Martial Adepts' maneuvers are not keyed off of their stats. At least, not directly. Most maneuvers are performed as-written.

Note, however, that each discipline has an associated skill. This skill may be involved in a maneuver's use. For example, many Diamond Mind maneuvers require the use of a Concentration check.

Off the top of my head, I don't recall any of the disciplines using skills that key off of Int. However, Int does give you more skill points, which means you can really rank up for those skill checks.

Now, as for what disciplines to focus on, that depends on your gameplay style. As always, you can start with the Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176968), but I find often that handbooks tend to focus on "this one is best," without regard for what the player wants. So let's start with what you, the player, want.

First, you're doing a tristalt. Ambitious. The nice thing about ToB classes is that they can fit comfortably into an active or passive role in a gestalt/tristalt, and can even alternate between the two.

For your passive side abilities, the Diamond Mind save-counters (Moment of Perfect Mind, Mind Over Body, Action Before Thought) are vital. Keep your Concentration check high - which, as a Psion, you'll probably do anyway - and your saves will follow. Also consider Iron Heart Surge, which is an active ability but a good way to ditch any nasty lingering debuffs.

For active abilities, however, you'll want to think about your play style. Are you going for big, DR-overcoming swings? Leaps and crits? Massive damage spikes? Or are you planning on keeping Warblade on the passive, and focusing on Psion powers for your active attacks? You have to decide that while planning your Warblade.

LordAshenshield
2013-12-11, 04:07 PM
Hmm well we are playing 3.p so I might have to add Concentration back to the list lol.

Well I was thinking a beast with the blade, crits and impressive but not omgspikes of damage are nice and will mostly be used. I am keeping Psion on a semi passive side with cool little abilities like Mind Cloud and Detect Thoughts to give a more mystical feel.

I am kinda going with a dark vampire based feel with psion proving to be good for those mythical charming powers especially with a focus on telepathy. Factotum is gravy with Int to everything. However Warblade is a nice one to have active at least at first blush I might change to a more psion playstyle later but for now Warblade is my active side.

So is there a few stances that do justice to crit based strikes as I am using a Keen Longsword.

Icewraith
2013-12-11, 04:12 PM
Well there's always Blood in the Water, but if you're going crit, go crit all the way with a keen Falchion or Scimitar instead of a Longsword. Also, Blood in the Water is usually combined with two-weapon fighting, lightning maces, and aptitude weapons.

Whatever you do, Diamond Mind sounds perfect on a psion, and the school has good counters and fairly good offense (excellent offense with Time Stands Still). The other "beast with a blade" schools are Tiger Claw for the beast and Iron Heart for the blade.

Red Fel
2013-12-11, 04:22 PM
Hmm well we are playing 3.p so I might have to add Concentration back to the list lol.

Well I was thinking a beast with the blade, crits and impressive but not omgspikes of damage are nice and will mostly be used. I am keeping Psion on a semi passive side with cool little abilities like Mind Cloud and Detect Thoughts to give a more mystical feel.

I am kinda going with a dark vampire based feel with psion proving to be good for those mythical charming powers especially with a focus on telepathy. Factotum is gravy with Int to everything. However Warblade is a nice one to have active at least at first blush I might change to a more psion playstyle later but for now Warblade is my active side.

So is there a few stances that do justice to crit based strikes as I am using a Keen Longsword.

Alrighty. Let's dig right in.

First, as a Warblade, you have access to Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw, and White Raven. (Look at that Handbook, it will explain a lot, including priorities.)

With regard to each, the gist is this: Diamond Mind: Concentration checks. Lots of them. Your Concentration check becomes your to-hit roll, or your damage roll, or your saving throw. Your Concentration check turns into pure pain. Iron Heart: IRON HEART SURGE! Seriously. This is the "I am a golden god" discipline of swordsmanship. Rip it up. Stone Dragon: This is all about overcoming hardness and DR. Generally not all that awesome. Tiger Claw: Dual wielding and critfishing. Great if you optimize Jump checks. White Raven: The team player. This allows your party to break the action economy. What Psion does for your action economy, White Raven Tactics does for the rest of the party.

So, let's look at stances, shall we?

If you can optimize the crap out of your crits, Blood in the Water becomes extremely potent. Every crit gets you +1 to hit and +1 damage, stacking, lasting for one minute, unless you crit again, in which case the clock starts over.

Punishing Stance is an easy starter. -2 AC, but +1d6 damage on every hit. And once you start churning out iterative attacks, that tends to add up. However, it really only shines if you're dual-wielding or have a laundry list of natural weapons.

Hunter's Sense is quite valuable, since it gives you Scent. But you may get psionic powers that obviate that later.

Leading the Charge is really only good if you have chargers in the party.

Really, until you get third-level stances (at Warblade 5), those are probably your best bets.

Icewraith
2013-12-11, 04:30 PM
Note that punishing stance also qualifies you to take Ironheart Aura (which kind of sucks, but it's on the Warblade bonus feat list so you don't have to spend a "real" feat slot on it) and thereby Stormguard Warrior (which is awesome with combat reflexes and reach).

LordAshenshield
2013-12-11, 04:37 PM
Ok
Well my character has a Slam attack and Scent already.

Ok so I should change my sword to something else, how does Weapon Aptitude work to change Lightning Maces?