PDA

View Full Version : Monsters that Embody Shadow/Darkness

Dr. Cliché
2013-12-11, 04:26 PM
Basically the title.

I'm looking for a powerful creature that embody darkness/shadow.

Ideally, I'd like something quite intelligent, high CR (~15-16 would be ideal), and inhuman (i.e. not a humanoid or monstrous humanoid).

Although, if you know some dumb, lower CR and/or humanoids that fit the description, feel free to mention them too - the BBEG might like some more minions. :smallwink:

Psyren
2013-12-11, 05:59 PM
3.5 or PF?

Shadow Dragons are intelligent and dangerous.

For your minions, Dark Folk (e.g. Dark Creepers and Dark Stalkers) are shadowy, rag-clad humanoid creatures that can see in supernatural darkness and explode with a flash when they die.

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-11, 06:24 PM
Awakened giant snake mummy with shadow caster levels

Xefas
2013-12-11, 06:27 PM

Seconding a Shadow Dragon. But with Shadow Elemental minions!

Give them all the Dark template for good measure.

Dr. Cliché
2013-12-11, 06:43 PM
3.5 or PF?

For your minions, Dark Folk (e.g. Dark Creepers and Dark Stalkers) are shadowy, rag-clad humanoid creatures that can see in supernatural darkness and explode with a flash when they die.

Interesting, I'll have to give those a look.

Seconding a Shadow Dragon. But with Shadow Elemental minions!

Well, that's two votes for a Shadow Dragon.

Give them all the Dark template for good measure.

On a similar note, I have a strange urge to add the Shadow template to a Shadow Dragon. I'm sure my party would be delighted to hear that its base land speed is 120ft. :smallwink:

Telonius
2013-12-11, 07:09 PM
Shadar-Kai (Fiend Folio) would be a good fit.

Rebel7284
2013-12-11, 07:17 PM
Shadowcraft Mage with a collar of Umbral Metamorphosis?

Telflamar Shadowlord?

Sure they are prestige classes that PCs normally take, but those gnomes, they can be quite monstrous. ;)

Averis Vol
2013-12-11, 08:24 PM
Theres the Shadow demon from BoVD. It is, quite literally, a demon made of shadows. you could give him some shade cohorts who drop the light level and let him run rampant in perpetual darkness.

Thurbane
2013-12-11, 08:26 PM
Shadow Elemental (ToM, p.164).

Already mentioned

The Viscount
2013-12-12, 12:26 AM
The Darkweaver from FF is a bit low CR-wise, but still poses a pretty nasty threat, and has all sorts of fun goodies for a tactical fight.

peacenlove
2013-12-12, 03:10 AM
Shadowcaster lich?
Tome of Magic and Underdark has a wealth of shadow related monsters.
There is a city (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Chaulssin) in Faerun ruled by half drow/shadow dragons.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-12, 03:15 AM
Manual of the Planes gives us, if memory serves,

Ecalypse- plane-shifting shadow horse of pure awesome

Umbral Beast- the Darkness is hungry!

Umbral Banyan- A big tree with roots and tendrils that sneak up and kill the unsuspecting

DeusMortuusEst
2013-12-12, 04:21 AM
Shade template from PgtF is terribad on PC:s, but give it to a NPC and it gives a rogue-like opponent some interesting tricks. Fluff is tied directly to the plane of shadows.

EDIT: Ah, the BBEG should be monstrous... Scratch this idea then. You might use it for minions though.

limejuicepowder
2013-12-12, 07:28 AM
There's the nightwing, nightwalker, and nightcrawler from MM1 at CR 14, 16, and 18. They're pretty legit threats too, I think.

Particle_Man
2013-12-12, 12:56 PM
I would have to vote for Shadow Dragon too.

That said, Shadow Demon makes an appearance in the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon (albeit as a servant of the BBEG, not the BBEG himself), so there's that. :smallsmile:

Dr. Cliché
2013-12-12, 06:34 PM
Theres the Shadow demon from BoVD. It is, quite literally, a demon made of shadows. you could give him some shade cohorts who drop the light level and let him run rampant in perpetual darkness.

Well, I'm not sure about using one as the BBEG, but I'll definitely consider using one or two as minions.

The Shade Cohorts won't really be necessary - trust me when I say the light level won't need dropping. :smallwink:

The Darkweaver from FF is a bit low CR-wise, but still poses a pretty nasty threat, and has all sorts of fun goodies for a tactical fight.

Interesting. Again, I feel it might be a little too weak for the BBEG, but I'd really like to include one as a minion or somesuch.

There's the nightwing, nightwalker, and nightcrawler from MM1 at CR 14, 16, and 18. They're pretty legit threats too, I think.

Huh, I'd hadn't considered those.

I would have to vote for Shadow Dragon too.

Well, at the moment, it's probably between a Shadow Dragon (probably either Mature Adult or Adult with a template or two added) and a Nightwalker for the BBEG. They're both around the CR I'm looking for, and also very intelligent.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-12, 06:41 PM
Nightshades can make for great BBEG and mini-bosses. They can have massive hp just by giving them max hp (or slightly more complicated, add more hd), they have some very interesting special abilities, and they can do scary things to magic items. They have sunlight powerlessness, though, so make sure these very intelligent undead are toting some items of utterdark or some such, in case someone manages to get them into some light. Contingent spells aren't even out of line, if you are dealing with a world where villains regularly magic themselves to the gills (which is always a good thing).

So, here's my thought.

Maybe, there is some area of unnatural, chilly mists. The kind that get inside your armour/under your cloak, and make you feel the sudden need to be elsewhere. The mists get thick, real thick. A strange silence falls. Suddenly, like drops of ink dropped in a pool of water (but eighteen feet tall), wisps of shadows curl around a giant black hand that sweeps out of the mist and grabs Mr. Red Shirt by the head. It happens so fast that the guy can't even scream. *cue the initiative rolling*