PDA

View Full Version : Ambiance And Props, Or How To Philosophize with Moods

Elkreeal
2013-12-11, 04:36 PM
I was trying to create this thread as a kind of go-to thread if anyone wanted to share or look for ideas of how to create a good mood in RPG's, from audio to physical items and everything in between.

I'll start with this:
rainycafe (http://rainycafe.com/) for tavern talking/noises, raining, or both, volume helps control intensities and make it varied.

When we use to play we all have a laptop in the room serving as the GM screen, and more often than not we try to create a mood with at least audio. From storms at sea for boat traveling, desert winds, forest sounds and chirping of birds or crickets.

Hopefully if we get a large enough portfolio I could edit this post and always keep an updated list of everything deemed helpful right here in the beginning.

Calen
2013-12-11, 05:08 PM
I mostly play in online games. When I can I like to find appropriate music to stream in the background and I will often use visuals to highlight key places and people. A picture is worth a thousand words and all that.

Something that I am going to be trying in my next live game is creating a old map. Just printing out a map I made and aging it with coffee and heat. I hope it works.

Elkreeal
2013-12-11, 05:14 PM
I once did that but by making a very old letter a group was supposed to find. I also like to keep images around of everything they fight, it helps create a greater notion of possible danger and/or make them think something is easy by it's looks when it might not be.