PDA

View Full Version : And the best worst named game award goes to...

Pronounceable
2013-12-11, 06:46 PM
...Amazon Princess Loren. Just look at that name.

It's a game from what's basically a visual novel company who decided to add some old school RPG combat on their choose-your-adventure fantasy/romance story. While their heavy emphasis on "romances" bother me (incredibly, their stuff is merely "bad" as opposed to "offensive spawn of stupidity and bad taste" that's the golden standard of Bioware), the actual gameplay is surprisingly decent, there's some real stategerizing to be found with stats and items and levels and formations and whatevs. Stripperiffic character designs that you'd expect from that title are still stupid though. In short, it's very much better than its incredibly awful title suggests (aka it's a decently made standard world saving RPG).

Which brought to my mind the actual question of this thread. Are there any other RPG games out there with such unfortunately terrible names that'd cause one to automatically pass despite it being an all right game? There's gotta be a few (examples of terrible awful names would be things like Dragon Adventures or Journey to the Death Mountain or Revenge of the Demons, except not made up by me). I'm mildly interested in checking such games out now that I'm remembering the old saying about books and covers.

warty goblin
2013-12-11, 07:25 PM

It's a game from what's basically a visual novel company who decided to add some old school RPG combat on their choose-your-adventure fantasy/romance story. While their heavy emphasis on "romances" bother me (incredibly, their stuff is merely "bad" as opposed to "offensive spawn of stupidity and bad taste" that's the golden standard of Bioware), the actual gameplay is surprisingly decent, there's some real stategerizing to be found with stats and items and levels and formations and whatevs. Stripperiffic character designs that you'd expect from that title are still stupid though. In short, it's very much better than its incredibly awful title suggests (aka it's a decently made standard world saving RPG).

Did you pick this up on my recommendation? If so, my baleful influence is spreading. Also it's Loren Amazon Princess, or possibly Loren the Amazon Princess, I've had it install both ways.

Which brought to my mind the actual question of this thread. Are there any other RPG games out there with such unfortunately terrible names that'd cause one to automatically pass despite it being an all right game? There's gotta be a few (examples of terrible awful names would be things like Dragon Adventures or Journey to the Death Mountain or Revenge of the Demons, except not made up by me). I'm mildly interested in checking such games out now that I'm remembering the old saying about books and covers.
I've always thought Fantasy Wars was pretty bad, although I'm not sure anything's going to beat Divine Divinity in a hurry.

Zevox
2013-12-11, 08:14 PM
Don't know about RPGs specifically, but the first thing that comes to mind off the top of my head is Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. I haven't actually played it as yet, but I've heard nothing but great things about it. The name though... yeah.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-12-11, 08:21 PM
Revengeance isn't a word, but it does kinda roll off the tongue, and it makes sense if the guy wants revenge and vengeance. I think that Divine Divinity is the worst name.

Happy Gravity
2013-12-11, 08:23 PM
Divine Divinity
Oh god my sides.

Obligatory Wii/Mii Anything.

Hunter Noventa
2013-12-12, 02:17 PM
Beyond the beyond is a pretty awful name, and apparently a pretty awful game too.

Zevox
2013-12-12, 11:18 PM
Revengeance isn't a word, but it does kinda roll off the tongue, and it makes sense if the guy wants revenge and vengeance. I think that Divine Divinity is the worst name.
:smallconfused: You do realize that "revenge" and "vengeance" are synonyms, right?

Edit: Also, for the actual reason it has that name, see this trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SNo8h-KfAU). About 2:20 in, if you don't want to watch the whole thing. That tag line... just... wow.

I will agree that "Divine Divinity" is a similarly stupid name though. Never heard of the game before, though.

Looking back over the thread though, I should probably say that the names the OP brought up actually don't strike me as bad names, just bland ones. Heck, one of the ones he made up is pretty similar to an actual long-running series - the original JRPG series, and still one of the most popular in Japan itself, Dragon Quest.

warty goblin
2013-12-12, 11:30 PM
I figured it was iterated vengeance personally, in case the first time didn't stick.

I will agree that "Divine Divinity" is a similarly stupid name though. Never heard of the game before, though.

The Divinity games are excellent. Divinity 2 is one of my favorite RPGs of the last generation. Where else can you have a conversation with a subterranean tree? Divine Divinity is some good clean oldschool fun; it's like somebody took Diablo and gave it a brain. A slightly goofy brain with a difficulty cliff at the beginning, but a brain whose company is enjoyable.

Airk
2013-12-12, 11:50 PM
No game title will ever defeat Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha versus King Abaddon.

Zevox
2013-12-12, 11:58 PM
No game title will ever defeat Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha versus King Abaddon.
Eh, that's mostly just long.

Though that reminds me: Arc System Works has a few doozies when it comes to both length and weirdness - in that you're left wondering what the heck caused them to even think of the name in the first place. Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R. Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-. And most recently, Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Supplex Hold.

I really hope that last one gets changed for its NA localization. They simplified "Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena" to just "Persona 4 Arena," after all, and that was a much less cringe-inducing title to begin with...

Pronounceable
2013-12-13, 03:02 AM
I vaguely remember Divine Divinity as some diablospawn, and it's a pretty bad name all right. Maybe I'll look at it next. As for that Metal Gear thing, I once tried my hand at MGS2. At one point there was half an hour of nonstop cutscenes. As a result, I've been cultivating an intense hatred towards everything with Metal Gear term in it.

Also very tenuously related to the topic at hand but it's my thread so whatchagonnado:
Today I've learned that there's a real metal group on this planet whose name is ********er and their latest album is named Suck ***** in Hell (http://hellsheadbangers.bandcamp.com/album/suck-*****-in-hell) (forum is breaking this link here, but it's easy to fix if you're inclined to). This has amused and perturbed me in equal measures.

Legato Endless
2013-12-13, 06:25 AM
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

Tetris: The Grand Master 3: Terror-Instinct

I'll give an honorable mention to Square Enix for nobly resisting the trend in global culture for increasing clarity. Their naming scheme has been getting fairly bizarre with their side titles.

Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Three-Five-Eight Days Over Two)

Dissidia Duodecim Prologus 012 Final Fantasy

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (This is not a typo)

Cespenar
2013-12-13, 06:37 AM
Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together.

Eldariel
2013-12-13, 06:46 AM
I figured it was iterated vengeance personally, in case the first time didn't stick.

Linguistically speaking that's the logical analysis; the derivational prefix "re-" does indeed express doing something again (not precisely repetitive). "re-" got reanalyzed into an English prefix and is actually fairly productive so I think it's impossible to say "revengeance" is exactly wrong (doesn't seem like there are phonotactical limitations either); you could theoretically extract vengeance multiple times/have someone pay a thousand fold for what they did.

Mx.Silver
2013-12-13, 06:49 AM
I have no idea whether the falling two indie titles are any good - although both seem fairly highly rated. However, no thread about stupid names can really be complete without them.

They are, of course, VVVVVV and AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity.

Legato Endless
2013-12-13, 07:02 AM

In Japan that was released again with the new subtitle Tactics Ogre: Wheel of Fate, though I didn't care for the change. Wheel and Fate are pretty generic as titles go...whereas Let us cling is well....yeah. :smallamused:

The real fun is that game is episode 7 in the march series. So if we take this to it's irrational conclusion...

OgreBattle: The March of the Black Queen Saga: Episode VII: Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together :smallcool:

tensai_oni
2013-12-13, 07:58 AM

It's a Queen reference. All titles in the Ogre series are Queen references, starting with Ogre Battle.

SKarious
2013-12-13, 08:56 AM
I'd vote for Bravely Default. The game might be good, but the name's silly.

Wookieetank
2013-12-13, 09:33 AM
Some nominations:

Hotline Miami
Fez
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (almost skipped this one thanks to the name, glad I picked it up on a whim)

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-12-13, 09:55 AM

"Hmm, how about 'Revenge'? Because that's what the story's about here."
"Nahhhhh not revenge-y enough. We gotta go with something revengier."
"You mean, like 'Revengeance'?"

Cespenar
2013-12-13, 01:36 PM
It's a Queen reference. All titles in the Ogre series are Queen references, starting with Ogre Battle.

Doesn't make it any less awkward. I can't name my tactical RPG, say, Cespenar Tactics: Fat Bottomed Girls, and just say it's a reference when people ask, you know. :smalltongue:

Some nominations:

Hotline Miami
Fez

They are pretty decent in my opinion.

Legato Endless
2013-12-13, 01:50 PM
Doesn't make it any less awkward. I can't name my tactical RPG, say, Cespenar Tactics: Fat Bottomed Girls, and just say it's a reference when people ask, you know. :smalltongue:.

I don't know...that title is odd enough to stand out. You would definitely get some sales just from people wondering, what the frell is this?

Choyrt
2013-12-13, 02:02 PM
There are some crazy names for games here. I offer these Sega Dreamcast games:

http://www.emuparadise.me/fup/up/158-Seaman-1-thumb.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/15/Egg_cover.jpg

Choyrt
2013-12-13, 02:06 PM
Cespenar Tactics: Fat Bottomed Girls

WHERE DO I PREORDER?

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-12-13, 02:16 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/15/Egg_cover.jpg
Egg...mecha...

I can't give a shape to this with words.

Wookieetank
2013-12-13, 02:38 PM
They are pretty decent in my opinion.

The games themself are great. The titles just struck me as odd.

Illieas
2013-12-13, 03:31 PM
Infinite undiscovery

It one of the better RPgs on the XBox360.

erikun
2013-12-13, 03:47 PM
D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_(video_game)) and D2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D2_(video_game)) get the award from me for the hardest video game titles to remember. The Deception (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deception_series) series by Tecmo also has some really odd titles if you're trying to connect them into a series. They are:

Tecmo's Deception: Invitation to Darkness
Kagero: Deception II
Deception III: Dark Delusion
Trapt (a.k.a. Kagero II: Dark Illusion)

And apparently, there is another pending game for the series. The fifth game will be titled "Deception IV: Blood Ties" and is a sequel to Trapt. Yes, you read that right. The fifth game of the Deception series is Deception IV. Which is the sequel to the fourth game of the series. Which wasn't titled Deception, although this one is. :smallannoyed:

Zevox
2013-12-13, 03:50 PM
I vaguely remember Divine Divinity as some diablospawn, and it's a pretty bad name all right. Maybe I'll look at it next. As for that Metal Gear thing, I once tried my hand at MGS2. At one point there was half an hour of nonstop cutscenes. As a result, I've been cultivating an intense hatred towards everything with Metal Gear term in it.
Can't say I understand that reaction at all. But for what it's worth, from what I've been told, Metal Gear Rising is not like the Metal Gear Solid series at all (although it is in continuity with it). It's an action game developed by Platinum Games, the makers of Bayonetta. The story was still done by Hideo Kojima, the creator of Metal Gear, but it may very well be much lighter on cutscenes.

Cespenar
2013-12-13, 04:09 PM
WHERE DO I PREORDER?

Let me cook up a Kickstarter then.

The games themself are great. The titles just struck me as odd.

I was talking about the titles as well. Anyway.

Mono Vertigo
2013-12-13, 04:23 PM
As much as I love the game series, Shadow Hearts is just a stupid name that even made 14-year-old me cringe a little. (Before you ask, no, it's not a sickeningly romantic story with fantasy elements. It's a horror game that's pulpy, comedic at times, and has much less romance than the title implies.)

shadow_archmagi
2013-12-13, 04:34 PM
WHERE DO I PREORDER?

I AGREE I WOULD ORDER THIS IMMEDIATELY

On topic, there's always EYE, the Divine Cybermancy, although that title prepares you for exactly what you'd expect: A game that made some sense, but was poorly translated and all vestiges of sanity just left.

GolemsVoice
2013-12-13, 05:22 PM
Yeah, Divine Divinity. Great games - lousy title. They shortened it to just Divinity later.

Another favourite of mine is FEAR (or F.E.A.R.). It's the in-game name of a special anti-supernatural elite squadron. And that's the best they could come up with? Somebody in the department must be chuckling to this day when he orders them around.

warty goblin
2013-12-13, 05:29 PM
Yeah, Divine Divinity. Great games - lousy title. They shortened it to just Divinity later.

Another favourite of mine is FEAR (or F.E.A.R.). It's the in-game name of a special anti-supernatural elite squadron. And that's the best they could come up with? Somebody in the department must be chuckling to this day when he orders them around.
Divinity always been just the series title. Thus Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, Divinity 2*, Divinity: Dragon Commander and (next year!) Divinity Original Sin.

While we're in the realm of tortured acronyms, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is pretty hard to beat. Scavenger Trespasser Adventurer Loner Killer Explorer Robber, it just rolls right off the tongue.

*Aka the game I own more copies of than any other.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-12-13, 05:34 PM
As much as I love the game series, Shadow Hearts is just a stupid name that even made 14-year-old me cringe a little. (Before you ask, no, it's not a sickeningly romantic story with fantasy elements. It's a horror game that's pulpy, comedic at times, and has much less romance than the title implies.)

That doesn't really strike me as bad, I kind of like it actually.

I don't have anything to add, but I am enjoying this thread so I'll keep an eye on it.

Mx.Silver
2013-12-13, 07:24 PM
On the other side of the acronym front we have the MDK games. What does it stand for, you ask? Nobody knows.

Another example, although not generally considered much of a game, is P.N.03. Aka, Product Number 03.

As much as I love the game series, Shadow Hearts is just a stupid name that even made 14-year-old me cringe a little.
Eh, by 'gratuitously English Japanese titles' standards it's not that bad. I mean, I'd class it as strictly superior to Kingdom Hearts. Not that I'd consider that

GloatingSwine
2013-12-13, 07:25 PM
Don't know about RPGs specifically, but the first thing that comes to mind off the top of my head is Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. I haven't actually played it as yet, but I've heard nothing but great things about it. The name though... yeah.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengance is as bonkers as its name implies.

It's also an absolutely fantastic spectacle fighter, as one should expect from Platinum.

NeoVid
2013-12-13, 07:41 PM
When I saw the title, I assumed this was going to be a thread about Bravely Default. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bravely_Default)

Still, there's other options. I blame a lot of the games that used English words that English speakers have never heard of, such as the racing game, Homologation Special, and its handheld version, Homo Pocket.

It's also a good thing that Pokemon's official English name was taken from its Japanese nickname, the full name would have totally different implications.

"Hey, wanna play with my Pocket Monster?"

On the other side of the acronym front we have the MDK games. What does it stand for, you ask? Nobody knows.

Huh. I thought the MDK games were named after their main characters, Max, Dr Fluke, and Kurt.

While we're in the realm of tortured acronyms, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is pretty hard to beat. Scavenger Trespasser Adventurer Loner Killer Explorer Robber, it just rolls right off the tongue.

That's probably in the tradition of the real-world government agency known as C.R.E.E.P. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.R.E.E.P.)

Partof1
2013-12-13, 08:10 PM
I never played it, but I remember hearing years ago about Tube Slider, a sort of F-Zero-ish racing game.

Not terribly outlandish, but it did merit a head tilt from me.

Choyrt
2013-12-13, 08:45 PM

Actually I know that one! The developer answered it in a Q and A waaaay back when. Murder Death Kill!

Also 'Tube Slider' is my club name.

GloatingSwine
2013-12-13, 08:52 PM
Get off my lawn whippersnappers! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGGDzEWvGRY).

Seriously, if you don't remember that reference get out.

Closet_Skeleton
2013-12-13, 09:22 PM

An organisation that isn't even in the second and third games.

Tecmo's Deception: Invitation to Darkness
Kagero: Deception II
Deception III: Dark Delusion
Trapt (a.k.a. Kagero II: Dark Illusion)

And apparently, there is another pending game for the series. The fifth game will be titled "Deception IV: Blood Ties" and is a sequel to Trapt. Yes, you read that right. The fifth game of the Deception series is Deception IV. Which is the sequel to the fourth game of the series. Which wasn't titled Deception, although this one is. :smallannoyed:

No worse than:

Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Dark Force II: Jedi Knight
Star Wars: Dark Force II: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (expansion pack)
Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars: Jedi Academy (with some fans insist on calling Dark Forces V or Star Wars: Dark Forces V: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy)

warty goblin
2013-12-13, 09:42 PM
When I saw the title, I assumed this was going to be a thread about Bravely Default. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bravely_Default)

Still, there's other options. I blame a lot of the games that used English words that English speakers have never heard of, such as the racing game, Homologation Special, and its handheld version, Homo Pocket.

It's also a good thing that Pokemon's official English name was taken from its Japanese nickname, the full name would have totally different implications.

You know, a title like that would just about get me interested in Pokemon.

Kris Strife
2013-12-14, 12:05 AM
Zettai Hero Project: Unlosing Ranger versus Darkdeath Evilman and Cladun: This is an RPG?

Choyrt
2013-12-14, 12:14 AM
Oh, Tech Romancer for Dreamcast, too.

Why do I keep coming up with Dreamcast games!?!?

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Features/2009/09/Dreamcast%20Week/20%20kickass%20games/dctechromancer--article_image.jpg

Zevox
2013-12-14, 12:27 AM
Zettai Hero Project: Unlosing Ranger versus Darkdeath Evilman and Cladun: This is an RPG?
Ah, that reminds me: the Prinny games. Their names make sense if you're familiar with the characters from the Disgaea games, and the first game's title isn't all that strange even if you aren't ("Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?"). But I can only imagine what someone browsing a game store's stock and seeing a game titled "Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood!" must think.

Of course, the cover (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4e/Prinny_2.jpg) may actually be weird enough to make a person unfamiliar with the characters overlook the title.

Nadevoc
2013-12-14, 01:21 AM
I'm still not sure why "Loren the Amazon Princess" is such a terrible name. I mean, it's kinda bland, but hardly terrible.

Then again, I got into video games back when games were called stuff like "Mega Man"...

GolemsVoice
2013-12-14, 03:34 PM
STALKER gets a pass from me because you're actually referred as Stalker (not as an acronym) ingame, so at least it makes some sense. Also, as far as I read, the individual letters were never meant to represent anything, it was just done to look cool.

Cespenar
2013-12-14, 04:54 PM
Apparently this was a thing, for a short while:

Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do To Deserve This? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Did_I_Do_to_Deserve_This,_My_Lord%3F)

Kris Strife
2013-12-14, 05:59 PM

Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do To Deserve This? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Did_I_Do_to_Deserve_This,_My_Lord%3F)

A short while? It has two sequels.

erikun
2013-12-14, 06:00 PM
Get off my lawn whippersnappers! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGGDzEWvGRY).

Seriously, if you don't remember that reference get out.
I've seen the movie, but did not make the connection before.

No worse than:

Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Dark Force II: Jedi Knight
Star Wars: Dark Force II: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (expansion pack)
Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars: Jedi Academy (with some fans insist on calling Dark Forces V or Star Wars: Dark Forces V: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy)
Hey, at least you can tell they are all Star Wars games. Good luck trying to find the games of the "Deceptions series" when half of them are filed under the T's and K's.

Oh, Tech Romancer for Dreamcast, too.

Why do I keep coming up with Dreamcast games!?!?
When I first heard this one, I thought it was "Technomancer" and thought it was a pretty awesome idea... although why they were fighting giant robots left me confused.

PSP has a lot of oddly titled games, like Patapon, Loco Roco, Every Extend Extra, PoPoLoCrois, and so on. It does make you stop and look at the game, to as least try to understand what it is, but they're not very informative of their content. :smalltongue:

Cespenar
2013-12-14, 06:09 PM
A short while? It has two sequels.

The name itself was short-lived, or so I read from the wiki page, and got changed into What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord? to avoid conflict with Batman.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-12-14, 06:17 PM
The name itself was short-lived, or so I read from the wiki page, and got changed into What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord? to avoid conflict with Batman.

And neither of them are correct translations of the original Japanese name.

huttj509
2013-12-14, 06:22 PM

*Aka the game I own more copies of than any other.

"Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division, what does that name mean to you?"

"It means someone really wanted it to spell SHIELD."

Corlindale
2013-12-15, 08:52 AM
I always thought Wargasm was a both horrible and rather tasteless name.

As Yahtzee points out (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6492-Medal-of-Honor-Warfighter-Doom-3-BFG-Edition), Medal of Honor: Warfighter deserves a place of honor as well.

(Not RPGs, but it seems the thread has moved beyond that to some extent)

warty goblin
2013-12-15, 06:38 PM
As Yahtzee points out (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6492-Medal-of-Honor-Warfighter-Doom-3-BFG-Edition), Medal of Honor: Warfighter deserves a place of honor as well.

(Not RPGs, but it seems the thread has moved beyond that to some extent)

I've never gotten the deal about Warfighter as a name. There are people who fight who don't do so in a war, and people in wars who don't fight. Warfighter is thus a completely sensible term for the people in wars who actually, you know, fight them.

Besides which, it's been used for at least two games previously, and I can't remember anybody getting weirded out by Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter. Which is really a lot more cringy; I mean ghost recon? It's trying harder than the oversexed virgin on prom night.

(The Tom Clancy games actually in general can be pretty bad. Rainbow 6? It sounds like the name given to a group of political prisoners arrested over a Pride parade, not an anti-terrorism task-force. HAWX? Just, just... no. Splinter Cell isn't terrible as a name, but Pandora Tomorrow makes up for that.)

Hiro Protagonest
2013-12-15, 06:58 PM
I've seen warfighter used to refer to soldiers and fighter pilots outside of games too, and I don't think it's because they saw it on the title of a video game and liked it (although it might be, since military lingo is often based around our culture).

Anima
2013-12-15, 07:05 PM

It is a bit awkward, talking about working on it usually goes like this:

"I'm working as a part time game programmer."
"Cool, what game are you working on?"
"Aehm, ..., it's called Loren Amazon Princess"
"Oh, nice weather today isn't it?"
Really I wish I was as shameless as warty :smallwink:. Though sharing a naming scheme with Xena is probably pretty appropriate for Loren.

Trazoi
2013-12-15, 07:08 PM
I've always been partial to the original name of Eternal Sonata:

http://i.imgur.com/nNeDdbp.jpg

Edit: Game was fairly meh however.

NeoVid
2013-12-15, 07:32 PM

I looked into it, and it seems more like Yahtzee deserves a point-and-laugh from the viewers for not doing the research, as 'warfighter' is now a commonly used military term. That's due to 'soldier' not being a generic word that can be used about anyone in the military.

Eldariel
2013-12-15, 07:39 PM

Funny. I somehow ran into the original name before I heard the abbreviation. To me they were always pocket monsters and digimon were digital monsters and so on. Your quote is more about an unfortunate choice of words, I would surmise, than the actual shock value of the name itself.

warty goblin
2013-12-15, 07:41 PM
It is a bit awkward, talking about working on it usually goes like this:

You worked on Loren? That's awesome. Are you working on the sequel too?

Really I wish I was as shameless as warty :smallwink:. Though sharing a naming scheme with Xena is probably pretty appropriate for Loren.
Indeed my shamelessness has its upsides. Such as the guilt-free unironic enjoyment of fantasy cheesecake. And in the case of Loren, I legitimately liked the story as a nice piece of very sincere genre work. I though the final battle and managed to pack a lot of narratively motivated choices into the gameplay in a pretty interesting way, and the epilogue I got was pretty much perfect. None of which subtracts from the cheesecake in the slightest. Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too?

And yeah, Loren is very much cut from the same cloth as Xena. Which is absolutely 100% a good thing in my opinion. Ahh, Xena. Truly the nineties were a magical time, when anything could be solved by a musical, and the crucifixions were almost as homoerotic as the fishing.

Anima
2013-12-15, 08:17 PM
You worked on Loren? That's awesome. Are you working on the sequel too?

At the moment I'm working on the sequel to Planet Stronghold our other RPG (and probably also a contender for this thread). After that I'll work on Loren 2. Since we plan to use the same framework for both, I'm kinda already working on it.

Indeed my shamelessness has its upsides. Such as the guilt-free unironic enjoyment of fantasy cheesecake. And in the case of Loren, I legitimately liked the story as a nice piece of very sincere genre work. I though the final battle and managed to pack a lot of narratively motivated choices into the gameplay in a pretty interesting way, and the epilogue I got was pretty much perfect. None of which subtracts from the cheesecake in the slightest. Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too?

Glad you liked it. Can't take much credit for it though, since I've mainly contributed the RPG framework.

And yeah, Loren is very much cut from the same cloth as Xena. Which is absolutely 100% a good thing in my opinion. Ahh, Xena. Truly the nineties were a magical time, when anything could be solved by a musical, and the crucifixions were almost as homoerotic as the fishing.
Please don't give them ideas :smalleek: *shudders*

warty goblin
2013-12-15, 08:40 PM
At the moment I'm working on the sequel to Planet Stronghold our other RPG (and probably also a contender for this thread). After that I'll work on Loren 2. Since we plan to use the same framework for both, I'm kinda already working on it.

I've always meant to give Planet Stronghold a try, but have never gotten around to it. Maybe if you have a holiday sale; I've had a lot of fun with the Winter Wolves stuff I grabbed at the Thanksgiving sale. Also, charging separately for the male and female romance options is borderline extortion.

Glad you liked it. Can't take much credit for it though, since I've mainly contributed the RPG framework.
I liked that part too. Nice, simple, got to the point and let me manage the interesting bits of who-does-what and who-goes-where without nearly the UI overhead or finnickiness of a more detailed system. The later fights took some genuine tactics as well, but were still fast and intuitive to manage. Sometimes simple really is better; I know I'm much more likely to replay Loren since I can both enjoy a battle or two and advance the plot in less than an hour.

Please don't give them ideas :smalleek: *shudders*
That's it, if I can't get captured while out fishing and nailed to a cross in a photogenic snowstorm while exchanging syrupy looks with a same-sex romantic interest, no sale. :smallwink:

Anima
2013-12-18, 06:03 PM
I've always meant to give Planet Stronghold a try, but have never gotten around to it. Maybe if you have a holiday sale; I've had a lot of fun with the Winter Wolves stuff I grabbed at the Thanksgiving sale. Also, charging separately for the male and female romance options is borderline extortion.

We're having a Christmas sale, so feel free :smallwink:. The separate editions for the dating sims are meant to save people money. Since you only have to buy the edition you're interested in. Buying both versions together is discounted though.

I liked that part too. Nice, simple, got to the point and let me manage the interesting bits of who-does-what and who-goes-where without nearly the UI overhead or finnickiness of a more detailed system. The later fights took some genuine tactics as well, but were still fast and intuitive to manage. Sometimes simple really is better; I know I'm much more likely to replay Loren since I can both enjoy a battle or two and advance the plot in less than an hour.

Thanks.

That's it, if I can't get captured while out fishing and nailed to a cross in a photogenic snowstorm while exchanging syrupy looks with a same-sex romantic interest, no sale. :smallwink:
No musical. What a relief; you had me scared for a moment. :smallbiggrin:

warty goblin
2013-12-19, 09:34 PM
We're having a Christmas sale, so feel free :smallwink:. The separate editions for the dating sims are meant to save people money. Since you only have to buy the edition you're interested in. Buying both versions together is discounted though.

I know. I want to romance everybody though; a conclusion I naturally reach only after meeting somebody that I can't romance in whichever version I have. It's an entirely good sort of frustration.

Thanks.
You're welcome. It's always a pleasure to talk with somebody who worked on something I enjoy.

No musical. What a relief; you had me scared for a moment. :smallbiggrin:
The menu music's got me covered there already.

Pronounceable
2013-12-21, 07:04 PM
I'd heard randomly about something called Fate/Stay Night occasionally, which turned out to be a hugeass franchise that started with a visual novel (which is a vaguely gameish thing), so I looked into it. It was a really good novel with some glaring flaws but I can't decide if visual novels can really be called games (arguing about this subject would be stupid however).

I'd naively assumed that it has some deep meaning but a bit of internet research showed me that it's just a translation catastrophe. Which is entertaining, considering it's a hugeass franchise. My random info off of internet people tells me it's supposed to be something like The Night Fate Stood Still, which would've been an alright name. But as it is, it can proudly stand amongst the terribad named games with pride.

Eldariel
2013-12-21, 07:17 PM
I'd heard randomly about something called Fate/Stay Night occasionally, which turned out to be a hugeass franchise that started with a visual novel (which is a vaguely gameish thing), so I looked into it. It was a really good novel with some glaring flaws but I can't decide if visual novels can really be called games (arguing about this subject would be stupid however).

I'd naively assumed that it has some deep meaning but a bit of internet research showed me that it's just a translation catastrophe. Which is entertaining, considering it's a hugeass franchise. My random info off of internet people tells me it's supposed to be something like The Night Fate Stood Still, which would've been an alright name. But as it is, it can proudly stand amongst the terribad named games with pride.

I completely agree: I've had this problem with like every damn Japanese franchise ever (of course, most of those fall under the anime/manga spectrum but VNs are close enough to games). I'm sad it took me so long to start playing Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime, G-Senjou no Maou, etc. (the "H"-tags on Type-Moon products didn't help either).

After just trying the franchises, the simple scope and also the style of the stories and the characters just had me hooked (particularly Nasuverse; it's just awesome and quite coherent yet different from anything I've encountered). But wtf is "Fate/Stay Night" trying to communicate? It's definitely not the best name to sell a product :smalltongue: