PDA

View Full Version : Permanent True Seeing

AlanBruce
2013-12-11, 06:47 PM
Greetings! I have a player whose PC wishes two castings of Permanency (True Seeing) on two npcs by hiring an npc wizard to cast it for him.

I have looked at the spell and the closest I can get to True Seeing by RAW, is Arcane Sight and See Invisibility.

The wizard in question is 11th level, so he could, in theory have permanency either in scroll form or prepared, but what would the XP price and the gp price be in total? I can imagine it would drain the wizard considerably, unless cast from a scroll.

Thank you very much in advance.

Story
2013-12-11, 06:52 PM
The only easy way to get permanent True Seeing is via the Hathran Mask from Unapproachable East (75k). So anything you homebrew should probably be at least 75k. Keep in mind that many people think this is underpriced.

Weezer
2013-12-11, 07:04 PM
The True Sight spell is a 6th level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trueSeeing.htm)wizard spell and while it's not covered under the permanency spell, I'm assuming you've made an exception. The chart for permanency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm) says that a 6th level spell costs 3,000 XP and requires CL 14. This is three CL above what you said the wizard was.

As for cost, according to this page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm), you must pay an additional 5 gp per XP lost, which comes out to a total of 15,700 gp. It also says that "If the additional costs put the spell’s total cost above 3,000 gp, that spell is not generally available", but that's up to you.

Also, remind your player that permanency is dispelled by Dispel Magic, so it's very likely that their 15,700 gp investment could be destroyed by a very common 3rd level spell.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-11, 07:31 PM
Indeed. Unless you can renew permanency oneself or are using it to buff a fortification that deserves the resource investment, permanency effects are just not great. I think they are also dispelled by an AMF, and they never come back. Not sure about that, but I do know that a successful dispel check, as mentioned, can wipe out the investment. Seems moronic, but there it is. Usually best to save up and invest in permanent items, which are only suppressed by AMFs and dispellings.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-11, 07:47 PM
Indeed. Unless you can renew permanency oneself or are using it to buff a fortification that deserves the resource investment, permanency effects are just not great. I think they are also dispelled by an AMF, and they never come back. Not sure about that, but I do know that a successful dispel check, as mentioned, can wipe out the investment. Seems moronic, but there it is. Usually best to save up and invest in permanent items, which are only suppressed by AMFs and dispellings.

Or you are smart and get a Solar with Tenacious Magic: Permanency to handle all of your permanency needs (at least minus the ones you have to cast yourself).

Those you handle by using your per Solar to Wish up a high CL scroll of Permanency with the appropriate XP amount built in.

And Permanent spells are suppressed, not dispelled, inside AMF's.

holywhippet
2013-12-11, 08:39 PM
A cheaper option might be to buy some scout's headbands and have them activate their true seeing power if so required. It's only for one minute per day, but it is a lot cheaper than a permanent true seeing spell or item.