PDA

View Full Version : rogue item

geekintheground
2013-12-11, 07:06 PM
my DM is giving my Rogue a 10th level (or lower) item, and im not sure what to get. currently i have:

Head: none
Face: Eyes of the Eagle
Shoulders: Cloak of Elvenkind
Throat: Choaker of Eloquence, lesser
Body: +1 Mithril Shirt
Torso: none
Arms: none
Waist: Healing Belt
Hands: +2 dex gloves
Ring 1: Ring of Communication
Ring 2: none
Feet: Boots of Springing & Striding

i've read the "list of necessary magic items" and am not sure what level any of them are. out of combat i play as a face of sorts (its a sub-role since we have someone better) and in combat i run in and melee sneak attack (i know its sub-optimal, but its fun). race is whisper gnome. i'd like to leave my torso slot open for a rogue's vest when i can get one, but the rest are open. thanks guys :)

HalfQuart
2013-12-11, 08:17 PM
I'm confused; I know in 4e items have levels, but in 3.x items don't -- they just have a cost and you can generally buy them when you have enough gold or, based on their cost, are categorized as minor, medium, or major items for when rolling for random treasure. Unless you're talking about Weapons of Legacy or something obscure like that?

Or many types of items require you to be of a particular caster level to create the item -- maybe that's what you mean? In order to find that you'd have to look at the DMG or Magic Item Compendium. or where ever. Towards the end of the item's entry it will say something like "CL 10th". This also determines the caster level effects of the item (if they aren't specified in the item's description) like duration, range, dispel magic checks, etc. You won't generally find much mention of this on the boards as it doesn't come up much. Normally a DM will give you something of a particular gp value in 3.X, not a given Caster Level.

Diarmuid
2013-12-11, 09:07 PM
There's a list in the back of the MIC that lists item "levels".

geekintheground
2013-12-12, 12:02 AM
sorry, yes. the DM is using the list in the back of the MIC.

GreenETC
2013-12-12, 12:12 AM
I'd say Deathstrike Bracers, from the 9th level list, would be a good choice for you, at least until you can afford +3 weapons for weapon crystals.

geekintheground
2013-12-12, 12:19 AM
I'd say Deathstrike Bracers, from the 9th level list, would be a good choice for you, at least until you can afford +3 weapons for weapon crystals.

thats a pretty cool item, but i already took the penetrating strike ACF (from dungeonscape), so while i cant crit those guys i CAN SA them.

Vizzerdrix
2013-12-12, 12:24 AM
Demand he homebrew you a pair of magic pants

GreenETC
2013-12-12, 12:45 AM
In that case, here's a few decent options:
Stormfire Ring (8th) negates concealment, which hurts rogues hard.
Belt of Ultimate Athleticism (8th) lets you tumble without any problems.
Scout's Headband (8th) is good for those times when just eyes isn't working.
Immovable Rod (9th) is a classic multipurpose tool.
Lesser Truedeath Crystal (9th) lets you hit ghosts and boost your damage.
Gwaeron's Boots (10th) are helpful for stopping Scent or hunters.
Ring of Waterbreathing (10th) is an average item, if you don't have a cleric.

cakellene
2013-12-12, 12:51 AM
Demand he homebrew you a pair of magic pants

So Nuclear Dan can fireball his ass?

geekintheground
2013-12-12, 12:59 AM
In that case, here's a few decent options:
Stormfire Ring (8th) negates concealment, which hurts rogues hard.
Belt of Ultimate Athleticism (8th) lets you tumble without any problems.
Scout's Headband (8th) is good for those times when just eyes isn't working.
Immovable Rod (9th) is a classic multipurpose tool.
Lesser Truedeath Crystal (9th) lets you hit ghosts and boost your damage.
Gwaeron's Boots (10th) are helpful for stopping Scent or hunters.
Ring of Waterbreathing (10th) is an average item, if you don't have a cleric.

all awesome ideas, thanks :)

Totema
2013-12-12, 01:00 AM
Do you have a way to keep weapons on hand? If not, I really like the Ring of Arming (MIC 122, level 9 item); it's cheaper than a Glove of Storing and more versatile too!

geekintheground
2013-12-12, 01:27 AM
Do you have a way to keep weapons on hand? If not, I really like the Ring of Arming (MIC 122, level 9 item); it's cheaper than a Glove of Storing and more versatile too!

luckily, my dm doesnt disarm. and if she starts, itll be the goliath fighter with spiked chain (not the best class, but easily out matching everyone else at damage, im the next highest and i rely on good sneak dmg)

vartan
2013-12-12, 01:29 AM
So Nuclear Dan can fireball his ass?

I believe Nuclear Dan was considering dispelling his ass/magic pants.

Totema
2013-12-12, 01:31 AM
luckily, my dm doesnt disarm. and if she starts, itll be the goliath fighter with spiked chain (not the best class, but easily out matching everyone else at damage, im the next highest and i rely on good sneak dmg)
The ring isn't really for preventing disarming mishaps (though I guess it would help there too), it's more for the odd situation where you would need to go someplace without weapons. "Why no, your majesty, I don't have any knives on me..."

cakellene
2013-12-12, 01:58 AM
I believe Nuclear Dan was considering dispelling his ass/magic pants.

But does he ever dispel except to follow it with a fireball once globe of invulnerability goes away?

geekintheground
2013-12-12, 02:55 AM
The ring isn't really for preventing disarming mishaps (though I guess it would help there too), it's more for the odd situation where you would need to go someplace without weapons. "Why no, your majesty, I don't have any knives on me..."

i like it! thanks!

cakellene
2013-12-12, 03:05 AM

Also useful for stowing armor when you sleep and putting it back on instantly when you get a midnight encounter.

Lilapop
2013-12-12, 03:11 AM
i'd like to leave my torso slot open for a rogue's vest when i can get one, but the rest are open. thanks guys :)
The rogue's vest is kind of expensive for what it does. Yeah, a competence bonus on a save is rare, but your reflex is probably through the roof anyway... and the hide/move silently bonus doesn't stack with ye olde elven cloak+boots, while being smaller.
If you really want an item that increases your sneak damage, get bracers of the hunter (Secrets of Xendrik, turn in your cloak if possible) or bracers of murder (Drows of the Underdark). They break even at around 9d6 sneak attack, with the bracers of murder pulling ahead after that.

Dalebert
2013-12-12, 11:36 AM
Also useful for stowing armor when you sleep and putting it back on instantly when you get a midnight encounter.

At lower levels before you can afford it, chain shirts make good alternative sleeping armor for those annoying sleep interruptions. Probably not as good as your day armor but +4 is better than +0.

Abithrios
2013-12-13, 04:17 PM

A restful crystal allows you to sleep in your good armor. In the morning, you can swap it out for whatever crystal you want while awake.