PDA

View Full Version : More Chaotic/Destructive/Unpredictable Spells?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-12-11, 08:00 PM
Basically I thought of a fun concept with making an old wizard.

But he's a rambling insane wizard who basically 'high' on magic.

Build wise I was hoping on representing his insanity with spell casting that seems more risky, destructive and unpredictable from a normal wizard.

Though I have no idea how to do this.

Side Question: Might work for this character but also matches a "Blood mage" idea I once had. Are there ways to sacrifice hit points in-game to power up or cast spells?

Like for example: I pay 20 health and cast fireball.

PraxisVetli
2013-12-11, 11:18 PM
In response to 'Blood Mage', Metaphysical Shaper, from BoEF.
humor me, its what you're looking for.

cakellene
2013-12-11, 11:25 PM
Sounds a lot like chaos mage or wild mage from 2e. Wonder if they ever got updated.

GreenETC
2013-12-12, 12:23 AM
A Wild Mage with every Prismatic spell you can find should do the trick of making an utterly silly yet dangerous Wizard. Slap a Rod of Wonder on him and have fun.

Silva Stormrage
2013-12-12, 12:46 AM
Blackfire also might be useful for a risky spell. It spread from one creature to nearby creatures so it can spread out of control really fast if used in a tight group of creatures. It doesn't have any friendly fire control either.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-12-12, 01:21 AM
In response to 'Blood Mage', Metaphysical Shaper, from BoEF.
humor me, its what you're looking for.

Cool, I love the meta-magic application. Thanks! :)

A Wild Mage with every Prismatic spell you can find should do the trick of making an utterly silly yet dangerous Wizard. Slap a Rod of Wonder on him and have fun.

The class looks cool. I'll probably just do a 1 level dip though, the rest seems defense base or giving more control over randomness.

Prismatic spells I only found 4 of though... and they're all Level 5+ and I start as a Level 8 Wizard... :(

Any Prismatic spells I might be missing?
If not, do you know of any other random spells?

Blackfire also might be useful for a risky spell. It spread from one creature to nearby creatures so it can spread out of control really fast if used in a tight group of creatures. It doesn't have any friendly fire control either.

*Imagines this used on a crowd of jam packed commoners*

*Evil Grin*

This looks fun... >: )

cakellene
2013-12-12, 01:26 AM
There are the various effects of a Prismatic Wall.

Drachasor
2013-12-12, 01:34 AM
Hmm, well, if I was a DM I'd let you have custom spells that combined multiple spells together. Basically, pick 4-6 spells that are area spells (ideally the same size) or same target. All of the same level.

Then when you cast this spell, roll to see what effect you get. Not sure if it would need a buff or not. Might have a chance of having different effects for each person hit (but that can be tedious).

Gwazi Magnum
2013-12-12, 01:36 AM
There are the various effects of a Prismatic Wall.

Yes, but it's an 8th level spell and stays in one place.

Hmm, well, if I was a DM I'd let you have custom spells that combined multiple spells together. Basically, pick 4-6 spells that are area spells (ideally the same size) or same target. All of the same level.

Then when you cast this spell, roll to see what effect you get. Not sure if it would need a buff or not. Might have a chance of having different effects for each person hit (but that can be tedious).

Sounds interesting :P

But I jump concepts too often to make my DM do that work.
Also, if this is the character I end up playing as I want it to be mostly from official sources.

Silva Stormrage
2013-12-12, 01:49 AM

Arcane Fusion + Greater Arcane Fusion (Sorcerer only) let you kinda do this. With greater arcane fusion you could duplicate arcane fusion twice and get two first level spells and two fourth level spells. Or you could just duplicate arcane fusion once and get a 7th level, a 4th level and a first level spell with one action. That would be pretty cool.

mistformsquirrl
2013-12-12, 01:51 AM
If you're amenable to borrowing material from Pathfinder, I think the Primalist Wizard Archetype *might* do what you want. I can't guarantee it's enough on it's own, but I think it might help: Primalist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/primalist).

Details on Primal Magic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/variant-magic-rules/primal-magic) there.

AMFV
2013-12-12, 02:45 AM
Mongoose also produces a Chaos Mage class, although it's possibly a little unbalanced. You'd have to look at it, and I haven't in a while.