PDA

View Full Version : Need to grapple/pin as a caster

Yogibear41
2013-12-11, 08:01 PM
How would a vampire caster(who needs to drink blood from things while they are still a live) go about grappling and pinning creatures with a horrible bab and still medium sized? I was thinking paralyzation/sleep effects but I'm not exactly sure how grappling a helpless target works? Do you auto succeed on a pin instantly and drain the blood of a sleeping target? Although as soon as you did they would wake up from the spell.

Would be using a homebrew class that is essentially 2-3 hit die of undead and no LA, probably sorcerer levels to go along with it but will be delayed because of pseudo racial hit die. Let say by ECL 5 I am a 2nd level sorcerer.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-12-11, 08:02 PM
Polymorph, stacking Size increases, an octupus familiar, etc.

infomatic
2013-12-11, 08:26 PM
Getting summoned monsters to grapple for you is a natural trick. The low-level ones have lousy grapple checks, though.

Enlarge Person won't work on you b/c you're undead, but Ray of Enfeeblement's a natural low-level spell that's good to have anyway and will make grapples harder to resist.

Beyond 1st level, Alter Self/Polymorph Chain; Black Tentacles; Claws of Darkness, Earthen Grasp, Summon Chain … make casters best grapplers.

Pick up Gloves of Titan's grip early on.

Urpriest
2013-12-11, 09:37 PM
Google the Grapplemancer. It's a low level Wizard that grapples like a champ.

More generally, you should automatically succeed on grapple checks against unconscious or willing opponents. Can't find the relevant rule though...

Kraklen88
2013-12-11, 09:52 PM
I think Polymorph, Alter Self (if cheese), Summon Monster, and Hold Person all deserve consideration. Also creative uses of your Dominate Person Stare can really put people in a compromising position.

Lastly, poison. Sap all of their strength.

infomatic
2013-12-11, 10:03 PM
Google the Grapplemancer. It's a low level Wizard that grapples like a champ.

That is neat, though Aberration Blood, again requires humanoid, and Fearsome Grapple is 2nd level spell so won't have as Undead3/Sorc2.

Helcack
2013-12-11, 10:28 PM
Do what vampires always do... Be sexy and flirt with horny people. BJ's are an easy way to get a lot of blood with no struggle. Or charm person/ if you're gross.

cakellene
2013-12-11, 10:44 PM
Don't vampires have a dominate ability?

Yogibear41
2013-12-12, 12:02 AM
Well its generally pretty easy to grapple level 1 commoners walking around when I have to but, I'm talking about if I ever actually wanted to go adventure or something how to grapple things that actually pose a threat. I really should have named this thread making things helpless so I can snack on them instead of asking for grappling advice. Let me re-phrase I want things to be unable to hurt me when I decide its time to walk up and have a snack. For whatever reason lets says I can't snack on things when they are at negative hit points before dying because well maybe they just die when they reach 0 hp.