PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Wand master ?

Roncorps
2013-12-11, 09:09 PM
Sooo ... I like special character and I'm going to be in a game where I need to be a arcane caster. We're going to run RotR Ann. and we are only 3 players : one dwarf battle cleric, one rogue and one me, the wiz.

First, I must say that if I go the wizard way is that we don't think that we'll be able to run RotR all the way without one. It would not be my first choice as I am more of the ''underground'' classes like alchemist, artificier, etc.

So, wizard is plain, yet powerful, and I very much liked the image of the wand master, casting a spell and after blowing stuff with wand, rod or whatever lightning from his butt he can produce.

The sad thing is that mostly, if not all, thing related to cool use of wand seem to be from 3.5, not PF.

Bref ... do you think that it's worth it to port some of the best feat and etc. from 3.5 to PF and take time with my DM with it ? Will it worth it playing this kind of arcane caster wand wielder into RotR ? Wizz or sorcerer (because of CHA and UMD = CHA) ?

Thanks a lot !

Drelua
2013-12-11, 09:34 PM
I don't know what level RotR is, but if you get to level 11 the Staff-Like Wand (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/arcane-discoveries/staff-like-wand) Discovery lets you use your own CL and casting stat for spells cast from a wand. I'm in a game right now with a wizard that uses this and UMD to put up a lot of buffs from wands pretty cheaply. My monk has a wand of GMF and loves having that wizard around.

Drachasor
2013-12-12, 01:13 AM
I don't know what level RotR is, but if you get to level 11 the Staff-Like Wand (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/arcane-discoveries/staff-like-wand) Discovery lets you use your own CL and casting stat for spells cast from a wand. I'm in a game right now with a wizard that uses this and UMD to put up a lot of buffs from wands pretty cheaply. My monk has a wand of GMF and loves having that wizard around.

You can't actually get it until level 13. You need Craft Staff (level 11 requirement) first.

Frankly, I don't know why they demand so high a level on it or that requirement. It would be fine even for a level 5 feat.

Drelua
2013-12-12, 01:35 AM
You can't actually get it until level 13. You need Craft Staff (level 11 requirement) first.

Frankly, I don't know why they demand so high a level on it or that requirement. It would be fine even for a level 5 feat.

Ah, right, I missed that. That explains why my friend didn't take it until level 13. That really shouldn't be so hard to get, though I guess it can be pretty powerful.

Drachasor
2013-12-12, 01:42 AM
Ah, right, I missed that. That explains why my friend didn't take it until level 13. That really shouldn't be so hard to get, though I guess it can be pretty powerful.

Since you can't recharge wands for free or use them for free, it really isn't all that powerful. Wands are expensive when they are the level you cast spells at. After that level, they are cheaper, but this just makes them useful.

Seriously, most wands are dead useless. A wand of fireballs? Lousy damage and a lousy DC. Any wand with a save has a lousy DC in fact. So that's about half the wands that are garbage right there. Wands are good for buffs or other effects you use maybe once an adventuring day or less and for CLWs. Outside of that there are fairly limited uses. This feat would actually mean they can have a use...but by 13th level wands aren't very good anymore because of the limit to 4th level spells -- you have 7th level spells then and more 4th+ slots than you'll likely end up using.

Roncorps
2013-12-12, 08:46 AM
Yeah, level 13 is kind of very late. RotR goes to high end level, so level are not a problem, but I want something cooler faster.

Dalebert
2013-12-12, 11:24 AM
It seems rare to justify the expense of one for a spell beyond 1st level, but I find that as soon as you can afford a 1st level wand (they're pretty cheap), that they can be a nice replacement for a crossbow or whatever you spam when you don't find casting a spell to be worthwhile.

A wand of sunstroke will do 2d6 non-lethal dmg automatically. That it has a very small chance of causing fatigue (DC 11), or even exhaustion on subsequent hits is just icing. A wand of ray of enfeeblement can be nice to spam (no save). That's a d6 of STR dmg per pop with a ranged touch attack.

Eternal wands are great for a few spells that are handy at first level but you want to save your spell slots for diversity. Enlarge person and reduce person last a minute (more than most combats will last) even cast at 1st level and remain great buffs. Those are on my wish list along with the two blasty spells above. I plan to take Craft Wands at lvl 6 and then retrain it after I have a few cheap wands under my belt.