PDA

View Full Version : Need my own Black Riders (sorta)

Blackhawk748
2013-12-11, 09:36 PM
Ok if your one of my PCs, stop reading, bad PC! if your not please continue.

For an upcoming campaign i need several minions for my BBEG, now i would like to obviously base them off of the Black Riders, so onto specifics.
I would like it to be a template that makes them undead, but still keeps their intelligence, as i need them to be able to act autonomously, also i would like them to keep their class levels. Bonus points if they have a power similar to the Morgul Blade or the Nazgul Scream

Thanks much all.

Forrestfire
2013-12-11, 09:43 PM
Necropolitan or Death Knight crusaders or warblades, maybe?

PrinceOfMadness
2013-12-11, 09:45 PM
Death Knight (MM2) may be appropriate as a starting point. Among other things, they gain some nice immunities (including immunity to turning), the ability to summon a mount, as well as decent spell resistance and damage reduction - they even have a fear aura that fits well (though it could probably use a boost).

You probably could trade out their Eldritch Blast and Smite Good for Su or SLA's that accomplish the effects you want without modifying their LA too much.

Edit: swordsage'd

Kraklen88
2013-12-11, 09:48 PM
Warlock with the Eldritch Claws ability could work. Also the Paladin of Slaughter/Tyranny to mimic that hopeless feeling they give when around others.

As for race: Vampire, Human Skeleton, Human Ghost, or Necropolitan.

Blackhawk748
2013-12-11, 09:56 PM
Ok so im thinking Death Knight 10th lvl Paladins of Tyranny, its like Nazgul in a can lol

PraxisVetli
2013-12-11, 10:00 PM
Ok so im thinking Death Knight 10th lvl Paladins of Tyranny, its like Nazgul in a can lol

Riding Fiendish half-Tarterian Dire Bats?

Helcack
2013-12-11, 10:59 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040202a
Maybe?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-12-11, 11:26 PM
Riding Fiendish half-Tarterian Dire Bats?

Hells no - Abyssal Drakes FTW.

PraxisVetli
2013-12-12, 12:57 PM
Hells no - Abyssal Drakes FTW.

Ugh, gotta give you that one.

Fable Wright
2013-12-12, 01:05 PM
One thing to consider would be giving them Dark Speech and Filthy Outburst as their 6th and 9th level feats. While Filthy Outburst says that you can't take the feat if you can't take ability damage, as it's not a prerequisite, if you have the character take the feat while they're alive and then become undead, you still keep the ability. (And as undead who can't take ability damage, you get quite a lot from the ability.)

nedz
2013-12-12, 01:28 PM
The Kiai Shout and Greater Kiai Shout feats will emulate the fear scream effect. Only 3/day, but you have multiple riders.

Coidzor
2013-12-12, 02:55 PM
If you want them to be quasi-living, you might also investigate the Bone Knight Divine PrC which puts a bunch of undead traits onto a living creature.

If you like the idea of Swordwraiths but not the execution, Frank and K did a revamp of them in their Tome of Necromancy (http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=34248), which might provide some other ideas for you, such as non-gravetouched ghouls that work for making characters.

Blackhawk748
2013-12-12, 09:17 PM
Ok, so what ive got right now for my riders is this:

Half Ogre Death Knight Paladin of Slaughter 10-15

Human Death Knight Sorcerer 4/Fighter 1/ Eldritch Knight* 5-10

Wood Elf Death Knight Ranger (arcanist Acf) 10-15

Human Fighter 8/Cavalier 2-7

The half ogre is loosely based off of Agandaur from War in the North and the Ranger is going to help them track the party, so ive got 4 but id like ideas for 3 more.

*technically he cant qualify but we are using Bard progression in this campaign so i've lowered entry requirements of various PrCs.