PDA

View Full Version : Draining Life from others?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-12-11, 10:07 PM
Something like the Succubus, what are ways a PC can drain life and/or power from other beings?

Note: In a way that gives some kind of benefit to the player.

Snowbluff
2013-12-11, 10:13 PM
I had a whole thread about eating people. Souleater from BoVD. Add the Life Drinker PrC and Life Drain feats for added effect.

unseenmage
2013-12-11, 10:47 PM
The Steal Life spell from the Book of Vile Darkness steals ability points for years of life.

jaydubs
2013-12-11, 11:16 PM
Healing Sting is a touch spell that inflicts damage and heals the caster at the same time.

Rebel7284
2013-12-11, 11:54 PM
Vampiric Touch?

The Insaniac
2013-12-11, 11:57 PM
Let us not forget enervation, energy drain, (greater) consumptive field, or the profane lifeleech feat. Profane lifeleech, in particular, makes me snicker an low levels.

Totema
2013-12-12, 12:11 AM
Being a lich is another way to get that kind of thing. And there's even multiple ways to do it!

gorfnab
2013-12-12, 12:55 AM
Thief of Life prestige class from Faiths of Ebereon.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-12-12, 01:02 AM
Some interesting spells.

Thanks guys :)
I'll probably go and try to make use of some of this.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-12-12, 02:24 AM
The Steal Life spell from the Book of Vile Darkness steals ability points for years weeksof life.

Fixed. One average human is worth a little over a year.

"A hobo a year keeps the reaper to your rear."

Did I mention this spell is one of my favorite forms of de facto immortality?

Psyren
2013-12-12, 07:10 AM
Psionics does quite a lot of this - Empathic Transfer, Share Pain, Psychic Vampire, Strength of My Enemy, Feat Leech, Hungry Touch, Power Touch, Power Thief etc.

Alleran
2013-12-12, 07:16 AM

Why not just have half a dozen in resetting traps of restoration? That way, you could suck them all down to the bare minimum they need to survive, let them trigger the trap, be restored, and come back next week. Eventually you'll build up a big enough backlog of years that you're functionally immune to death by old age.

There's also the Ensel's Soultheft spell in... I think the Waterdeep book. Works better against psionics (better return for the spell use), but it also gives you extra life. There's actually a NPC in the city who's used it to survive for the past 1600+ years, only employing it against evil individuals.

unseenmage
2013-12-12, 09:34 AM

Yeah sorry. The last time I used it was for an illithid larvae Thrallherd. And it's been a while.
He was combining Steal Life with spending time in that preservation jar from Arms and Equipment Guide.

Red Fel
2013-12-12, 10:41 AM
Sorry, but the quote is necessary:

As you know, the concept of the suction pump is centuries old. Really that's all this is, except that instead of sucking water, I'm sucking life. I've just sucked one year of your life away. I might one day go as high as five, but I really don't know what that would do to you. So, let's just start with what we have. What did this do to you? Tell me. And remember, this is for posterity so be honest. How do you feel?

I don't have much to add apart from that. Everyone else has covered it nicely. But Count Rugen's Machine is always relevant to conversations about draining life.

Also he's one of my favorite villains.