PDA

View Full Version : Mephistopelean ShadowLord Build

GhengisConrad
2013-12-11, 10:44 PM
Thoughts Comments? The idea was to get 'freedom of movement', so as to counter any pesky shut downs such as 'mass ectoplasmic coccon'.

Half-Minotaur Feral Anthropomorhic Raven

I find and have psionically grafted to my right arm a small bladed guantlet sized up to medium size and made 'heavy'. 19-20 crit 2d6. Unarmed attack. Still looking for a bite attack (multiattack and improved multiattack)

Fighter 1
Rouge 1
Shaman 5 (Travel and Luck Domain)
Rouge 1
Disciple of Mephistopheles 3
Rouge 1
Teflammar ShadowLoard 4

The Viscount
2013-12-12, 04:49 PM
Were you planning on taking the last two levels of telflammar shadowlord to finish out your build? Also, since you seem focused on high mobility, were you going to trade the travel domain for travel devotion?

Be warned that the FAQ for BoVD (which many admittedly do not regard as RAW) nerfed Disciple of Mephistopheles and put a uses per day cap on its abilities.

If your build is starting at level 10 or later I would recommend swapping in feral anthropomorphic raven for raptoran, as it'll save you the LA for being medium with flight.

Since you're already delving into the evil pool with disciple of mephistopheles, willing deformity (teeth) will nab you a bite attack. If you choose to go that route, consider willing deformity (tall) for more reach, which is nice for a melee build.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-12, 07:01 PM
If your build is starting at level 10 or later I would recommend swapping in feral anthropomorphic raven for raptoran, as it'll save you the LA for being medium with flight.

I like feral because of fast healing and claws and nat. armor.

Does being medium with flight add a level adjustment? That is to say, the total level adjustment for the bulid I have here would be what I imagine to be +2 (+1 for minitaur, +1 for feral) is that not the case?

Be warned that the FAQ for BoVD (which many admittedly do not regard as RAW) nerfed Disciple of Mephistopheles and put a uses per day cap on its abilities.

Do you have a link to that?

Is it... this?

http://images.wikia.com/d20npcs/images/c/cc/Leaflets_of_Triel.pdf

The Viscount
2013-12-12, 08:57 PM
Sorry, I meant to say half-minotaur there, since I know you want to be medium. Your LA calculations are correct, it is my mistake.

Raptorans can fly but only from 10HD on is said flight limitless, so if you are starting this late into the character it would be an easy way to cut out half minotaur to save yourself the 1 LA and spend it on something else. Were you planning on finishing up Telflammar Shadowlord with your final two levels, or were you going to spend them on more Disciple of Mephistopheles?

As for the FAQ, that isn't quite the one. The "official" FAQ is here (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/BookVileFAQ12102002.zip) though again, FAQ isn't RAW, and Monte isn't the strongest rules authority.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-12, 11:51 PM
The FAQ you linked to does not mention Diciple of Mephistopheles. Does that mean that RAW I still get my Hellfire Blast at will? Beacuse I don't think that's so overpowered, I mean you do have to waste two feats to access the class.

And yeah, evil for a while, but my DM will only allow a temporary foray to evil. I can't just 'be' evil permanently. Since there is no 'ex' diciple provisions.... I keep my powers.

Yeah Raptorans are part of a different kinda plan. They fit more into a shadowwalker plan. But gosh golly gee I sure do LOVE natural armor!

I like shadow pounce, I like shadow jump, I like shadow blur. That's all I need. So 4 levels of ShadowLord and Freedom of Movement is all I want.

I just hate getting trounced by some small thing that completely incapacitates me. And I like surprising people. So freedom of movement for ecto cocoon and the like, dimension door to get 'out'. High AC and blur to be harder to hit. Flight so that I can't really get hurt falling or get pot-shotted by another flyer. Natural Attacks for lots of extra fun damange times.

Anything that can help me get shadowwalker, which means stay humanoid, and gain armor class would be considered.

I'm really trying to find some optimization between

Natural Attacks
Armor Bonus
Flight
Freedom of Movement
Dimension Door/ShadowJump

Anything that puts me in that range is exciting to me... for reasons I'm not sure.

What I like about Half-Minotaur is that they gain 'track' which gets me into Nentyar Hunter easier, so maybe I can get freedom of movement there easier... and grab some different levels.

The Viscount
2013-12-13, 01:36 AM
Man, it's just not my day. I was recalling incorrectly, and it was indeed the Leaflets of Triel I was referring to, which you linked before. I would also agree that hellfire blast at-will is reasonable, especially in light of them not changing anything on Disciple of Dispater.

If you love natural attacks, consider a dip or splash of totemist. They have a lot of utility, and they are the class when it comes to natural attacks. The blink shirt is also of note, as it gives short range dimension door.