PDA

View Full Version : Why no good hags?

Dalebert
2013-12-12, 12:12 AM
I thought any witch could be a hag by taking the coven hex, but apparently I was mistaken. You still need one actual hag to form a hag coven and apparently they're all horrendously evil.

There's plenty of precedent in myths and legends for good, or at least neutral-ish hags. They're basically just the most exaggerated stereotypes of witches as ugly old women. Being in a hag coven has huge benefits for witches. It gimps good witches that all hags are evil and they can never really join a hag coven. It sucks. Just sayin'. Rant over.

AMFV
2013-12-12, 12:14 AM
A Helm of Opposite Alignment can fix that for you. Also "Always Evil" includes 1% that are not, at least per the 3.5 SRD, I'm not sure if Pathfinder has the same rules. So you'd have 1% good or neutral hags.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-12, 12:16 AM
Repeat after me:

"In my gameworld, there are good and neutral-aligned hags, and witches can join their covens."

TA DAAAA! You now have good-aligned hags.

Dalebert
2013-12-12, 12:20 AM
Repeat after me:

"In my gameworld, there are good and neutral-aligned hags, and witches can join their covens."

Well I'm not the DM. I'm actually playing a witch which is why I care. I will hold out hope though because this game has no alignments. I think the DM wants to avoid having everyone be an exaggerated stereotype, heroes and villains alike. We shall see.

eggynack
2013-12-12, 12:21 AM
Repeat after me:

By what means have you obtained this power, to construct new monster rules from whole cloth? This is truly the most vile of witchcraft. Perhaps it is your aim to deceive us into believing that a good hag can exist, but I shan't fall for your treachery.

Vizzerdrix
2013-12-12, 12:22 AM
Repeat after me:

:confused:

What is this sworcery?!

Psyren
2013-12-12, 12:26 AM
A lot of witch hexes are geared towards you being, if not outright evil, at least pretty amoral. Stuff like Cook People and Nightmare and Waxen Image and Delicious Fright are hard to justify for good. Coven just happens to be one such.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-12, 12:55 AM
:confused:

What is this sworcery?!

The greatest of all mortal magicks; known only in the ancient tongue of the Latins as "fiat", which allows dungeon masters to call into the world strange content from beyond the stars.

By what means have you obtained this power, to construct new monster rules from whole cloth? This is truly the most vile of witchcraft. Perhaps it is your aim to deceive us into believing that a good hag can exist, but I shan't fall for your treachery.

It is whispered that beyond the twin worlds of RAW and RAI lie vast unspeakable realms of rules dead and unborn. This power can summon forth these Things Which Cannot Be.

Well I'm not the DM. I'm actually playing a witch which is why I care. I will hold out hope though because this game has no alignments. I think the DM wants to avoid having everyone be an exaggerated stereotype, heroes and villains alike. We shall see.

It seems your GM is already versed in the ways of fiat, since he has banished from his world all goodness. You need merely implore him to chant the proper invocations and induct your witch into a hag's coven.

Vizzerdrix
2013-12-12, 01:02 AM
That would make a fun campaign. A party must adventure to find the book that the gods wrote the rules of existence in. When they find it, one of them gets to change one rule forever.

Falcon X
2013-12-12, 01:20 AM
That would make a fun campaign. A party must adventure to find the book that the gods wrote the rules of existence in. When they find it, one of them gets to change one rule forever.

Heeeeeeeh. I'd make kittens fly.

And this definitely needs to be it's own thread, BTW.

Jon_Dahl
2013-12-12, 01:35 AM
Ahh, finally an easy question and I haven't been ninja'ed!

Hags are usually chaotic evil. That means that 51% or more are CE (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_alignment&alpha=). The rest represent the rest of alignments, from NE to LG. It's completely RAW to have one good hag out of every one hundred.

This natural variability in alignments brings lots of interesting options, like CG orcs or NE nymphs.

Psyren
2013-12-12, 02:11 AM
Ahh, finally an easy question and I haven't been ninja'ed!

Hags are usually chaotic evil. That means that 51% or more are CE (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_alignment&alpha=). The rest represent the rest of alignments, from NE to LG. It's completely RAW to have one good hag out of every one hundred.

This natural variability in alignments brings lots of interesting options, like CG orcs or NE nymphs.

I believe the OP is talking about Pathfinder though, and the "usually" and "always" language was dropped from the alignments in the Bestiary. Now they simply have an alignment listed and say this is the one you'll most often encounter. Whether that means 55%, 75% or 95% of the time is left up to the DM.