PDA

View Full Version : [BITPR2] Extra Episode 5: What Goes Around, Comes Around

Dorizzit
2013-12-12, 12:20 AM
[Mortal World]
Anak Krakatau

It is a day much like any other. Its significance is to two people alone: a man, who also happens to be a god, and another man, who also happens to be a monster. It is a day planned days before, an arrangement struck after a meeting of the two factions they represented. It is the monster that arrives first, although perhaps this is only what it seems. Appearance and reality are very different for the two who meet here today. One deceives cunning deception, guile, and wit, revealing only what he chooses to those he deems worthy. The other misleads through absolute honesty, even when he does not mean to.

Jehoel Yurius, the Primera Espada, awaits Setsurou Hishikawa, a man who defies explanation. He is currently hundreds of meters in the air above the volcano of Anak Krakatau, which is in the middle of a minor eruption. Lava can be seen swirling below, and a large cloud of ash wefts high into the air, alternately enveloping and exposing the Hollow. He seems unperturbed by it.

Kuroimaken
2013-12-12, 08:18 AM
When Setsurou appears, as with everything he does, it's seemingly out of nowhere. As per his custom, he is wearing a different hat - though fedoras are most definitely his favorite, he has quite the collection. This time it's a black beret.

He's also holding a small portable fan. It's an item for joking, of course - the truth is he's no less disturbed by the local temperature than Jehoel is.

"You pick the most interesting places for a chat. Is it a coincidence you tend to pick places with temperature extremes?"

Dorizzit
2013-12-12, 11:07 AM
Jehoel turns to look at Setsurou as the Shinigami arrives, nodding and almost-smiling in greeting. As always, Setsurou can easily tell that every action taken by Jehoel that so much as hints at emotion is scripted; carefully staged and shown only at the Hollow's will, with a level of skill that is decent, but hardly impossible to see through even for the untrained. For Setsurou, it is child's play.

"I prefer mountains. They change and vanish at a much slower pace than cities. Temperature means nothing to me; I have not felt cold or heat in a very long time."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-12, 12:22 PM
It's not as if the effort is not appreciated. It is, in fact, rather refreshing for the spy to be able to talk to someone who uses much the same dissimulation as he does, even if for completely different reasons and at a different level.

"That's actually an answer I was... not quite expecting. I thought someone as old as you wouldn't have any particular tastes in relation to change itself."

Dorizzit
2013-12-12, 12:53 PM
Jehoel shrugs.

"I have no real yearning for the past, but there is nothing quite as awkward as trying to arrange a meeting in a city that no longer exists. After that, I've stuck to geological features."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-12, 01:26 PM
"Figures your preference is based on practicality." Setsurou noted with no surprise whatsoever. "Officially, I'm here as a diplomatic envoy again, even though there's nothing much to discuss."

Dorizzit
2013-12-12, 01:31 PM
"Sentimentality fades through the years." Jehoel convincingly fakes a bit of sadness. "Even if we try to hold on to it."

He shrugs.

"Regardless, as you said, there is little official to discuss. When you extracted this promise of me, you asked three things: to know everything about me, to teach you how I discerned your identity, and a game of Go, no?"

Kuroimaken
2013-12-12, 01:36 PM
"Very much so. You'd be surprised how much one can learn about a person's way of thinking from a simple tactical simulation such as this.

Not that I expect much in ways of a surprise, but I guess it could still be well worth the time."

Setsurou silently evokes his extradimensional space Bakudou and pulls a pair of chairs, a table (with the board drawn on it) and a bag of playing pieces.

Dorizzit
2013-12-12, 01:54 PM
Jehoel sits down at the conjured table, allowing Setsurou to set up.

"As I mentioned previously, my past is...impractically extensive. While we play the game, I will give you up to twenty questions. Once we finish, I will teach you what I know of deduction."

He tents his fingers.

"Unless, of course, you have a better idea."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-12, 03:10 PM
"Do you know how artists work with limits?" Setsurou replies as he sets the board up.

"The simple answer is that we don't. We either impose the limits ourselves or take our time tiptoeing around the edges. Or we crush them with a sledgehammer.

For practicality's sake, it would help if you could fill in the blanks on the file we've got on you. No one is going to read a novel on a single individual, no matter how much of a hard-on for details they've got. It should be more than enough if you could just touch up on any major events in your life as an Arrancar, or since your first contact with Soul Society.

Of course... any information you have on the Ghost King is also appreciated. Our foremost experts on the subject are dead or crazy or both."

Dorizzit
2013-12-12, 03:37 PM
"Grant me a favor, and start with the questions. I will give you a more general outline later."

Looks like he's not going to budge about this.

"Forgive me for my...philistinism, but art was never my strong suit."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-12, 07:16 PM
"Hence my short lesson in the matter. You'll forgive my pedantism."

Setsurou makes the opening move. Simple. Classic. Elegant.

"Your first confirmed contact with Soul Society dates back to XX of YY of the year ZZZZ. Unconfirmed sightings date all the way back to ZZZZ-1, however. You've told me how you took Las Noches from the hands of Dainichi but you never really told me your reason for doing so. You're certainly strong enough to live out on your own in Hueco Mundo. What turned you to politics - to a central role such as the one you took?"

Dorizzit
2013-12-12, 08:11 PM
Jehoel responds. Based on this first piece, he will likely be employing a very aggressive strategy.

"My discontent with the King had been growing for quite some time. I was increasingly unimpressed with an individual I once considered to be interesting. Worthy of helping. The breaking point was when I met Mikael Esaja Rautiainen, a untrained Fullbringer from Finland. I found him interesting, and...it moved something inside of me. Aggravated my discontent until it had exceeded my apathy."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-12, 09:12 PM
Setsurou's response is much more mild by comparison. He doesn't seem to trust his opponent to strike blindly - but rather in an efficient, almost brutal manner.

Still, his reaction seems to be the strategic equivalent of "Let's see where he's going with this."

"What was it in this Mikael that changed your way of thinking?

Even Fullbringers tend not to live much longer than regular humans. By our accounts, you took over Las Noches quite a few decades ago. So I'm left wondering how long ago this took place."

He doesn't seem to make much effort in not phrasing this as a question.

Dorizzit
2013-12-12, 09:37 PM
It's still a little early to judge Jehoel's overall plan. His second move is consistent with the original projection of aggression, however. When Setsurou finishes speaking, Jehoel holds up three fingers, for three questions.

"I seized control of Las Noches the day before I offered peace to the Soul Society."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-13, 06:36 AM
"You're kidding. Wait, you don't do that...

You still haven't answered my previous question, though."

Setsurou's response, by contrast, is more than a little odd, though not entirely out of the ordinary.

Dorizzit
2013-12-13, 09:46 AM
Jehoel continues as he began. Direct, efficient, and aggressive.

"In time. Continue your questions."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-13, 02:22 PM
"Alright. So, you overthrew Dainichi the same day you made your peace offer to Soul Society."

Setsurou's strategy begins to show. At first, it's just a piece here and there. But his counters begin to get more diverse. More sophisticated. Every now and then he'll pull a move that seems to make no sense whatsoever; and later on that move will make sense.

"How long did it take you to organize such an action? Sure, cut the head and the body dies is a simple and efficient enough strategy, but you would still need to get through his right and left arms, so to speak, unless you had an arrangement with said right and left arms first, but that doesn't seem your style. You're too frank."

Dorizzit
2013-12-13, 03:29 PM
As time goes on, something becomes clear: Jehoel isn't that good. He's a perfectly competent player, even well above average, perhaps. But it is obvious that Go is not his game. He is very intelligent and clearly has some experience, but that is the limit of his ability. Setsurou's victory becomes more and more obvious, but Jehoel does not waver from his strategy.

"I had no previous arrangements. The coup itself was an animalistic trial by combat; Dainichi Nyoria could not afford to ignore my challenge unless he looked weak in front of the city. The difficulty was after Dainichi Nyoria's death. Hollows fall into two categories: those who respect strength, and those who wish to be more than they are. The former, obviously, were no problem. The latter were the two most loyal of Dainichi Nyoria's followers. His...oddity among our race attracted those two as well as myself. However, they decided that they found my coup acceptable once I outlawed murder within the city, and began emphasizing teamwork and unity in the inhabitants."

Questions asked: 4
Questions answered: 3

Kuroimaken
2013-12-13, 05:21 PM
As kind players are wont to do with their less skilled peers, Setsurou begins to give some leeway. He's good enough to pretend it's on his own merit, though whether Jehoel cares for this is a different matter altogether.

"I suspected as much. I'm beginning to notice a trend in your behavior in that regard...

You keep things simple and straightforward. I like that. The more complex a system is, the more ways it can be exploited - but the simpler a system is, the less it can account for. Your offer to Soul Society illustrates this perfectly. You gave them a binary choice and a time limit, nothing more, nothing less, and they were so busy considering treachery that they ran like headless chickens almost the entire time.

I believe that as long as you are, so to speak, leading Las Noches, then we don't need to worry about treachery - not initiated from you, at least.

There's still one question then, though. What happens when you step off? Assuming the Ghost King has been dealt with at that point, of course, since I don't see you bowing to him."

Dorizzit
2013-12-13, 06:03 PM
Interestingly, in response to Setsurou's lenience, Jehoel begins playing more recklessly, decreasing his own level of skill. Huh.

"Until now, I've never had much need or interest in dealing with more complex scenarios. Ultimatums and binaries are simpler to deal with, and less difficult to create. It also makes trickery and deception more difficult for both sides. I have little tolerance for attempts to gain advantage through exploitation of rules and technicalities...and I've always benefited from the ability to ignore such when I desire."

He nods at Setsurou's assertion.

"It is unlikely that I will do so."

He places another piece on the board, this one obviously out of position.

"I do not know what the future will bring. I have no immediate intentions to forfeit my position as Espada; if I ever do, it will be years, possibly decades or centuries from now. I prefer to keep my plans fluid; it is best to have a number of contingencies, as there is no way to know what time will bring."

Questions asked: 5
Questions answered: 4

Kuroimaken
2013-12-13, 10:48 PM
Setsurou does his level best to extend the gameplay for as long as it will go. Surely he can't fool Jehoel for long by pretending he's gaining an advantage, but the game is turning quite enjoyable for the spy, all told.

Not that he intends to give it up.

He does take note of the piece, but says nothing yet.

"Your intentions notwithstanding, you did tell me you don't intend to run the city for as long as you'll live. That you only intend to keep hold of it until you 'teach' your fellow Espada to run it properly.

I ask you what happens then because, if you truly ARE seeking to build lasting peace... well, I imagine you're planning beyond the moment your control ceases. That's what my question truly referred to."

Dorizzit
2013-12-13, 11:47 PM
For every increment Setsurou goes easy on him, Jehoel correspondingly becomes more reckless and aggressive. Even once his moves fall into the category of blatant stupidity, he takes the game with the same seriousness as before.

The piece wasn't important. Just like any other.

"Teach, perhaps, is the wrong word. I want to fundamentally change the way that our two people view each other. I want to see Arrancar and Shinigami regard each other as allies by default, until betrayal would be unthinkable to all but the most vile. Once that has been accomplished, I intend to disengage from the city. From there, I will rest for a while, then resume wandering. I have no real plans. I simply wish to live my life in a way that grants me contentment."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-14, 08:24 AM
"Well, not entirely. Part of what you will be required to do includes teaching.

I feel that the threat of the Ghost King will serve well in this goal. Nothing unites two former enemies like a common goal. It's a relatively short-term one, however.

I sincerely doubt he'll stay dormant for long - though as far as we know, he's still imprisoned.

Any ideas what his next moves may be - besides freeing himself?"

Dorizzit
2013-12-14, 11:44 AM
Jehoel is silent for a few seconds when Setsurou asks this question.

"No. Once he is free, I cannot be sure how he will react. The world he knew is dead; how he chooses to adapt to the new one remains to be seen. I would not be surprised by an attempt at vengeance, or an effort to seize control of Las Noches. But he is a formidable individual indeed. I simply cannot say for certain what he intends."

As Setsurou has probably noticed, Jehoel reflexive displays of emotion have become less and less prominent over the course of the conversation. He is putting on less of a show.

Questions asked: 7
Questions answered: 6

Kuroimaken
2013-12-14, 04:35 PM
"When the time comes, I know you will not join him.

But will you help us fight him?"

Dorizzit
2013-12-14, 05:17 PM
Jehoel makes another move silently.

"Next question."

Questions asked: 8
Questions answered: 6

Kuroimaken
2013-12-15, 09:44 AM
Funny he didn't want to answer that.

"What do you consider your foremost driving force?"

Dorizzit
2013-12-15, 11:47 AM
Or did he?

"Absolute, unrelenting boredom. I have seen the entire world many times over. I have met thousands of people. I have seen all that it is within my capacity to find. And I can find no more. I have seen so many natural wonders they no longer move me. People are largely the same; the rare exceptions are so difficult to find, and usually so short lived, that they cannot relieve me for long. The cycles of the world change, but do so slowly, and always return to the same point. If I can find no way to live happily in this world, then what choice do I have but to try to shatter it beyond recognition?"

Kuroimaken
2013-12-16, 08:09 AM
"And what have you tried to create, in the meantime?"

Dorizzit
2013-12-16, 10:05 AM
"I am afraid that true creation is something that I lack the capacity for. I have tried, believe me, but regardless of what I attempt, I can only imitate or fail. It is maddening, but something I have come to accept."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-16, 10:47 AM
"I would bitchslap you for that comment, but then I'd break my hand.

You're obviously unaware that "originality" is no more or less than a combination of traits and techniques that has not been attempted before. Each artist is only able to stand on the shoulders of those who have come before, and mold their art to suit their personal tastes.

Of course "true creation" is difficult! There's only so much that a man can do in order to change. And even so, he will only be a true change related to the period of time he lives in!

What you need, Jehoel, is more knowledge. And from there, to combine each source of knowledge to create something new, based on your history, the world around you, the decay and rise of everything you've witnessed. THAT IS ART!"

For the first time since they've met, Jehoel can see a glimpse of the real emotions beneath the facade of Setsurou's expression.

Either that or he is TOO DAMN GOOD at faking.

"I refuse to believe a man who has lived so long does not have so much as a shred of creative spark within!"

Dorizzit
2013-12-16, 01:49 PM
Jehoel explodes forward, leaning over the go board until he is invasively to Setsurou's face. His expression, as usual, is a somewhat stunted, halting emotion: in this case, frustration. There are two things that make this unusual. The first is that Jehoel rarely displays any negative emotions beyond mild irritation in the shows of feeling he puts on for other people. The other is that for the first time since Setsurou has interacted with Jehoel, the can tell that the emotion is real. And it goes far, far deeper than Jehoel's outward appearance would indicate. The intensity of emotion Jehoel feels is incredible. Awe- or perhaps horror-inspiring. In a human, feelings of this strength could create or destroy civilizations, stir legions of people, and spur an individual to acts of legendary benevolence or cruelty.

"DO NOT PATRONIZE ME! I WITNESSED THE INCEPTION OF ART! I HAVE KNOWN IT'S GREATEST MASTERS! WATCHED! WAITED! LISTENED! TRIED TO UNDERSTAND! ALL I CAN CREATE ARE PLAGIARIES! COPIES OF WHAT I HAVE SEEN BEFORE! IT IS NOT THAT I HAVE NOT LEARNED TO CREATE! I! CAN! NOT! DO IT!"

By the end his brief tirade, tears are streaming down Jehoel's face, but it is not due to a shift in emotion. Sadness is merely a side emotion to the rage and frustration he feels, but it is still potent to a degree only felt under the most extreme circumstances by others. For a moment, Jehoel's emotions explode uncontrollably as his self-control shatters. For a moment, no more than a few seconds, Setsurou can see what it is to be Jehoel. It is a constant maelstrom of nigh-uncontrollable emotion; enough to drive anyone insane. For Jehoel, even the slightest irritation is a storm of hatred; the most minor regret a crushing wave of sadness. His complete control of his emotions is necessary simply to function properly, lest he be reduced to a writhing wreck of uncontrolled emotion.

And after the moment, the window is closed. Jehoel retreats with equal speed, slumping back into his chair and covering his face with one hand. He takes a series of deep breaths as he recovers his composure, before sliding his hand over his face and returning to his usual, neutral state. All trace of his outburst is gone as if it never existed.

"I apologize. I have not thrown a tantrum like that in...quite some time. Suffice it to say, this has been a matter of extensive frustration to me for some time. You are making a mistake here, Setsurou. You are assuming that, at my core, I am human in my thought processes and identity. I am not."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-16, 02:15 PM
The funny thing is, by the end of it, Setsurou is actually smiling. It is not the kind of smile one gets from humiliating or condescending one's peers. Rather, it is the smile of someone who has found something wonderful and precious.

In this case, Setsurou believes he has, for a brief moment, found Jehoel's heart.

"Perhaps I am. But don't you DARE apologize for it.

That frustration just now. You understand where it comes from, you understand how much it hurts.

If you've studied the masters, then you have probably known that none of them was truly happy or content with their work. They did not paint, or sculpt, or write music, look at their work and say: that's it, I'm done. This is a masterpiece.

Their work was a constant strife against frustration, just as you have displayed now! Don't hide this! Embrace it! Let it flow into the strokes of your brush! Let it sing upon the chiseled marble! Let it cry over the melancholy of an instrument!

And if by the end of the day your canvas is nothing but a broken monument to your rage, then stand, pick yourself up and try, try, try, try again! If drives you insane, trap your madness forever into each piece!

Don't dry your tears! Make them your ink - your lifeblood!

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ARTIST THAT DIES CONTENT WITH WHAT THEY'VE ACCOMPLISHED - THAT IS THE MEANING OF THEIR STRUGGLE!"

Dorizzit
2013-12-16, 02:38 PM
Jehoel fixes Setsurou with a flat stare.

"I have tried, Setsurou. I can understand myself. My experiences. I know the theory. I have a high degree of technical skill with an assortment of artistic styles. But I cannot communicate it. I cannot translate what I am through any medium I have discovered. My mind...simply does not permit me to. And if I were to invest myself as deeply into my emotions as you describe...art would not be the result. It would be the greatest cataclysm since the Fall."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-16, 07:51 PM
"Well, I DO have a method that could produce art regardless. If you let me, we can try it."

Dorizzit
2013-12-16, 09:29 PM
Jehoel shakes his head.

"Another time, perhaps. For now, I would prefer to stay on track."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-16, 10:14 PM
"I'll hold you to that.

Anyway, back to our questions... to be honest, I'm running out of those. Got any to suggest?"

Dorizzit
2013-12-16, 10:19 PM
"Any question I suggest to you counts as a question asked. Asking it back consumes another slot."

Jehoel smiles a little smugly.

Questions asked: 11
Questions answered: 9

Kuroimaken
2013-12-16, 11:34 PM
"That's perfectly fine. You owe me two answers by now.

And besides, I have a feeling you're not going to adhere too strictly to that question limit. Not after today."

Dorizzit
2013-12-16, 11:43 PM
"I owe you nothing. And as we've already established, the game of twenty questions is only to serve my purposes. It has little relevance to the promise you extracted from me. Now, if you really need prompting so badly...determine what I know, consider what you want to learn, and ask based on that. If you really can't think of something, I'll start giving more specific suggestions."

Questions asked: 12
Questions answered: 10

Kuroimaken
2013-12-17, 06:27 AM
"Ever taken direct part into any significant human history event?"

Dorizzit
2013-12-17, 10:36 AM
Jehoel nods.

"A few. For example, I sunk the city of Heracleion, caused the storms that wracked the Spanish Armada, and caused the Malian Gulf Tsunami. Ultimately, my effects on mythology have been far greater than those on history itself. I've known a large number of history's influential individuals, and observed hundreds of such events, but I prefer to let people do the work for themselves."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-17, 02:12 PM
"Anything you learned from such individuals that might change the way humans see them if it came to light?"

Dorizzit
2013-12-17, 02:17 PM
"Yes."

And that's all he has to say on the matter.

Questions asked: 14
Questions answered: 12

Kuroimaken
2013-12-17, 05:37 PM
"Getting real stingy with your answers there.

OK, boring question time. How goes the logistics preparations for Las Noches' missions to Earth?"

Dorizzit
2013-12-17, 05:46 PM
"My secretary is beginning to despise my aversion to paperwork."

Jehoel pauses just long enough to make it seem as if that is his entire answer before continuing.

"As well as can be expected, given the fact that we created the system less than a month ago. Paperwork errors and mistaken entries in our records are still common, but on the whole logistics have proceeded without any severe errors. The biggest logistical problems have come, unsurprisingly, from attempts to coordinate between our respective organizations. Low level interactions between foot soldiers in the field have ranged from openly hostile to odd friendships, but efforts to connect on a bureaucratic level have been...farcical in their complexity."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-17, 05:56 PM
"I'm pretty sure nothing different was to be expected. A bureaucrat's job was never meant to make anybody's life easier, after all."

Dorizzit
2013-12-17, 05:59 PM
"True. Dismantling the administrative district was the best decision we made. The city has run much more smoothly since we streamlined our bureaucracy."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-17, 06:12 PM
"Not that red tape doesn't have its uses. Having everything done registered can be important - the only problem is how slow this makes any process.

I wasn't aware you'd dismantled the Administration district. What are you using it for now?"

Incidentally, checkmate.

Dorizzit
2013-12-17, 06:30 PM
"Our system takes a "better to ask forgiveness than permission" approach to paperwork. Activities are submitted ahead of time and confirmed as proper at a later date. Restrictions are only placed if there is a logical reason for doing so. We do, however, expect a degree of common sense. This has been...effective, barring a few outstandingly exceptional incidents."

"District 6 was the one we passed through during our tour that was under construction. There are a number of different plans for it, but none have been clearly more popular than the others. The base reconstruction, even leaving room for specialized buildings, has not yet been finished."

As the game finishes, Jehoel begins tallying his score.

Kuroimaken
2013-12-17, 09:13 PM
Setsurou has, by and large, offered Jehoel a better score than the man "deserved". Not so much as to let him suspect he'd been going easy, but not so much he might be discontent with the results.

Then again, it doesn't sound like Jehoel to be upset about a game.

"One thing I've noticed from our game is that you seem to take the shortest logical approach to a problem. At least, when you're playing. I have to wonder how much you consider the consequences when you make each move. How much you take into account those other than yourself.

Best laid plans often fail because one does not account for simple details. And then there are those times something happens that we cannot foresee.

How long do you spend considering every move you make - not in relation to the game, but the things you do?"

Dorizzit
2013-12-17, 10:49 PM
Jehoel actually did a pretty good job of avoiding Setsurou's charity, and the game ended up being fairly close to how it would have gone otherwise. Which is a significant, but not overwhelming, victory for Setsurou. Jehoel shifts in his chair, leaning back a bit.

"The amount of time that I spend on each action I take is proportionate to its importance. Take this game, for example. This simply is not my game of choice. My loss here was inevitable, so I saw no real need to prolong the game by carefully considering each move. It was unnecessary. Normally, I think on my intended move as long as I feel is necessary, as long as I avoid overthinking. Excessive thought is just as poisonous to success as its inverse."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-18, 07:39 AM
"Huh. I thought you would have tried to go down with a bigger fight than that.

There are games I would not invite you to play. Anything with a contest of strength, for one."

Dorizzit
2013-12-18, 09:45 AM
"I had nothing riding on this game. Therefore I saw no reason to distort the results."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-18, 10:40 AM
"So you don't get involved in anything without any stakes. Good to know."

Dorizzit
2013-12-18, 11:19 AM
"Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that I do not get hung up over things that don't matter."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-27, 04:16 PM
"Same difference, really - at the end of the day, what matters is up to who's involved. You just have a different sense of what matters than most people."

Dorizzit
2013-12-27, 07:04 PM
Jehoel considers.

"Hm...true. Then perhaps: I have the ability to ruthlessly prioritize my desires and act in precise accordance with this prioritization in such a way as to best facilitate my goals without significantly concerning myself with matters of pride or other issues that can, in some cases, trap or mislead others with less focus."

He rubs his chin.

"A bit of a mouthful, that. Not quite right, either. I think I may have lost sight of the initial point. Regardless, I think I've gotten the gist of what I was trying to communicate across, no? Now, do you have any more questions for me, or should we move on to part two?"

Kuroimaken
2013-12-27, 09:45 PM
"I can't think of any that wouldn't be redundant or needless. So, let's move on to part two."

Dorizzit
2013-12-27, 09:58 PM
Jehoel nods.

"Very well. I have two questions for you. Why did meeting Mikael change my perspective? And: will I help you fight the Hollow king if and when the time comes?"

Kuroimaken
2013-12-28, 06:56 AM
"Those are the questions I asked you. You expect me to answer them?" Setsurou was left wondering what Jehoel meant to accomplish in this fashion.

Dorizzit
2013-12-28, 11:39 AM
Jehoel nods.

"I do. You asked me to teach you how I discovered your past. This is how. Observation of what you said, and what you did not say. Paying careful attention to your actions, your statements, and the things that motivated you. And, above all else, the confidence to state a bit of guesswork as fact."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-28, 03:45 PM
"I can only go by what you've shown me thus far. Which isn't much.

In all likelihood, Mikael changed your outlook because he had something, either in his outlook or way of being, that you had never before encountered. Motivation by boredom means you must constantly seek stimulation of a different or unusual type than what you've come to expect. That's the textbook answer anyway.

As for whether you'll help us stand against the Ghost King, I figure it all depends on whether or not you find there is something worth keeping safe in or of Soul Society. And possibly whether you believe you stand a better chance against him alone or with our aid.

Still, there's a limit to what observation alone could have accomplished. It's true I've given you more to work with than most. Your 'guesswork' pretty much had no holes in it."

Dorizzit
2013-12-28, 04:14 PM
Jehoel shrugs.

"In your case, I also had the advantage of pattern recognition. I've seen stories similar to yours, before; rare, true, but they do exist. The important thing to remember is that every single fact you learn about someone is a piece to a larger whole, not a bit of trivia to be acknowledged and ignored. I based my guess off of the facts that you'd revealed to me: your honed, deceitful attitude, your casual behavior around Hollows, your love of art despite your career as a Shinigami, and your undetectable shunpo, then combined it with what I knew from the outside: I recognized the name Hishikawa, I had felt a Shinigami capable of hiding from me within Hueco Mundo, and I had seen the kinds of upbringings that breed the behaviors you displayed. Of course, I also possess the benefits of a true eidetic memory, but the real skill is in the philosophy, the way I approach interaction."

He pauses for a minute to allow this to sink in.

"I've mentioned on various occasions that for quite a while I rarely left Hueco Mundo until very recently, Mikael was untrained, and that meeting him caused my philosophy shift. By logical extension, I must have met him in Hueco Mundo. He could not have gotten there himself if he was untrained as I claimed. Therefore, he must have been brought there. By extension, he must have killed whatever brought him there, as Las Noches does not abduct humans. If it is easier to feed on someone in the Mortal World, why take him to Hueco Mundo? In order to convert him into a Hollow. If that is the case, then the Hollow he killed must have been strong enough to be a leader. High Adjuchas or even Vasto Lorde class. To kill it, Mikael must have possessed great power, and without any training at all. Now, with this in mind...what effects would this kind of unexplained power have on an individual in today's society? It would create feelings of isolation, beliefs of superiority, and create an inescapable separation from the rest of the world. In short..."

Jehoel leans back.

"He was a kindred spirit to me, in his own way. It is one thing waste your own power. But to see another with tremendous power and the unwillingness to accomplish anything with it? It causes thought."

Jehoel laces his fingers in front of his face.

"The other question is easier. Would you like to take a guess, or should I explain that one as well?"

Kuroimaken
2013-12-28, 05:57 PM
"Not that rare a story. Mine just happens to have a peculiar outcome. But it really makes me relieved to know you did not accomplish all this on a first encounter without SOME source of outside information. Frankly, that'd make you MUCH more dangerous than any title or personal power you hold."

Setsurou seems fascinated by Jehoel's tale. While in a sense, it was predictable - not so much the outcome as the circunstances -, meeting with such an unlikely event was still fairly rewarding on its own.

"I have my theories, but I suspect the reasoning you'll present is significantly more interesting."

Dorizzit
2013-12-28, 09:09 PM
"Knowledge is power, Setsurou. More so than most realize. I'm sure that you don't need to be convinced of this, but I feel it needs to be stated regardless. The ability to obtain knowledge, and the ability to put that knowledge to effective use, are extremely valuable skills. Ones that I have heavily refined. Regardless, the second question is, as I said, a bit less interesting."

Reaching out to the Go board, Jehoel lifts up one of the pieces and begins flipping it through his fingers.

"I have not bothered with much of anything in centuries. My current project is creating a state of permanent peace between the Shinigami and the Arrancars of Las Noches. I will see any goal I possess to the end with as much efficiency as I can muster. I do not get hung up on pride. Two swords are better than one. All of these lead to one conclusion:"

His fist closes fiercely around the piece.

"If the Hollow king or his minions do anything that threatens the alliance I have created, I will crush them. And I will do so together with the Soul Society, if they wish to so soil their hands."

He deposits the piece, unharmed, back onto the table.

Kuroimaken
2013-12-28, 09:37 PM
"I hadn't doubted that. Yet I feel the need to remind you that both knowledge and power require purpose to be of meaning.

Perhaps more to the point... knowing that you have ears inside Soul Society in some capacity would be a much more troubling point of contention in the current state of affairs than even the Hollow King's lot. IF it made it to the Commander's ears, of course. Can't have allies spying on us.

Aren't you lucky to have made a friend that can keep just such a secret?"

The sing-song, playful tone he uses seems meant more to mask his usage of the word "friend" than the literal meaning of his words.

Dorizzit
2013-12-28, 10:16 PM
"Believe me. I understand the need for purpose to give power meaning better than anyone else who has ever lived."

At Setsurou's second comment, Jehoel chuckles in that not-quite-condescending way that is his custom.

"Spies? Perish the thought. Why would I have any need of those when they could upset the delicate peace I have established. And..."

He pauses, clearly enjoying himself maybe a little too much.

"...When I've been wandering the Rukongai for centuries without ever being discovered?"

Kuroimaken
2013-12-29, 07:48 AM
"That's actually a lot worse." Setsurou jabs. "Mostly because it makes us look really foolish. And incompetent. We'd have a lot of bruised egos, you know how those can get, right?

Then again, after the way you bypassed the Dangai when you made your offer, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I did some checking after your last visit, by the way. No one remembers seeing a Hollow or an Arrancar, but you were slightly conspicuous in your own way. Just not one that drew sufficient attention to yourself." In short, Setsurou isn't ACTUALLY surprised to hear of Jehoel's snooping. "The house of Hishikawa has its own eyes and ears."

Dorizzit
2013-12-29, 11:28 PM
"Well, it certainly wasn't going to be better."

Jehoel doesn't seem too perturbed about the importance of his revelation.

"Still, I'm glad someone managed to pick up the pieces I left behind. I was beginning to think that nobody in the Soul Society had a taste for breadcrumbs."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-30, 02:35 PM
"I make it a point to be a busybody. Investigation, such as it is, is also an art in its own right. I have yet to master it, of course. Or else I would've been able to reverse the little observational stunt you did on me without so many questions asked."

Dorizzit
2013-12-30, 02:41 PM
Jehoel smiles in a way that Setsurou has not seen before. This one might even be genuine.

"Oh, I very highly doubt that. Would you like to know why?"

Jehoel's tone and posture all indicate that this is a very serious offer on his part. Each word is drawn out and enunciated clearly, emphasis put equally on each one.

Kuroimaken
2013-12-31, 07:06 AM
"Fire away. I'd like to see that reasoning."

Dorizzit
2013-12-31, 10:15 AM
Jehoel quirks an eyebrow.

"Are you sure? I'm offering to reveal to you my one secret. It's knowledge will have consequences. It is not a decision you should make so lightly."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-31, 10:44 AM
"It would be much more offensive to refuse it on the basis that I'm scared. The way I see it, it's not an offer you're making lightly either, and I should respect that.

So if you're comfortable enough, you can tell me."

Dorizzit
2013-12-31, 10:48 AM
Jehoel nods.

"You cannot tell this to anyone. If you do...I won't threaten you. We both know what I'm capable of if roused. Suffice to say, it is something that I hold dear and which no longer provides anything that might allow an advantage over me."

He reaches into his pocket, then places a single blue crystal on the table, its insides swirling.

"If you still want to know...if you can promise me that you won't reveal this secret for anything less than the salvation of the world...then take this crystal."

Kuroimaken
2013-12-31, 07:48 PM
Setsurou reaches for the crystal and stops just short of touching it. "I will keep this secret as closely as I possibly can. And you know just how far that is."

He then grasped the crystal.

Dorizzit
2014-01-03, 01:41 AM
As Setsurou touches the crystal, it unravels into thousands of tiny strands which immediately stick into his arm and begin sliding their way up it. Underneath his skin, the pattern ripples and flows like water, climbing towards his head. As a quick study, Setsurou will most likely connect the sensation to the one he felt when being fused to Inmaculada; the feeling is almost identical, in fact. After a few seconds, the strands make their way to Setsurou's face, where they coalesce at his forehead and launch their way across the table to Jehoel's own face. The Arrancar closes his eyes and leans back in his chair. Darkness sets in...

Kuroimaken
2014-01-03, 11:00 AM
...and as it vanishes, Jehoel may notice that Setsurou is...

...in tears.

Judging from how confused and shaken he looks, this is perhaps the first time he's shed tears since he completely mastered the art of acting. Since he has gained complete control of his emotions. He could definitely cry on queue if he wanted. For all his ability at theatrics, however, and even despite Jehoel's impediment at truly understanding human emotions, he could tell it was not so.

At the end of it, Setsurou is smiling through the tears. This, Jehoel can tell, is only in part a farce.

"I will keep this as close to my chest as I possibly can. But I have a question.

...why did you choose to show me this? It obviously holds much greater meaning to you than it 'looks'."

Dorizzit
2014-01-03, 11:14 AM
Jehoel smiles slightly. And, once again, it contains an inescapable feeling of truth.

"I have no idea. Perhaps I felt I could trust you. Perhaps I wished to confide in someone. I base my actions primarily on instinct. It felt right."

Kuroimaken
2014-01-03, 12:21 PM
"Instincts are an emotional gateway. At least in the sense that neither can be completely explained - though there is a basis for it." The spy notes before wiping his tears clean.

"I'm thankful you've shown me this regardless. I'm afraid I've nothing to reciprocate."

Dorizzit
2014-01-03, 12:25 PM
"There is no need to. With that said, in answer to the original question...regardless of how much you knew of me, do you think that you could have deduced that?"

Kuroimaken
2014-01-03, 12:29 PM
"Not in the slightest." Setsurou answers honestly before he can concoct a better answer.

Dorizzit
2014-01-03, 01:51 PM
"And that is why it is critically important to possess outside detail. Mine is an extreme case, but the truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. And most importantly of all, you need the ability to be wrong. It is better to call someone out on a hunch and have them correct you than continue working with a flawed hypothesis. As an added bonus, being wrong for some reason makes people think less of you. I don't think I need to tell you, of all people, the value of that. Watch. Listen to the meaning of that which goes unspoken. The words we choose not to say, in many ways, outweigh the usefulness of those we do. Try to understand the quirks of the individual. Never look at any knowledge in a void. That is how I find the truths hidden within the world. And, I'm afraid, that's all I have to teach on the matter unless you want me to follow you around deconstructing the psychological profiles of your colleagues."

Kuroimaken
2014-01-03, 06:45 PM
"That... holds its own troubles. Can't help but admire the method, however.

I suppose given time I'll be able to do the same. Still, what spooked me the first time is that I had no means of knowing you HAD outside detail. The thought of a man who could deduce my whole past from nothing but observation is, to tell the truth, chilling."

Dorizzit
2014-01-03, 11:35 PM
"Nothing is flawless. A method for accomplishing any goal can be refined infinitely, but can never be perfected. Determine what you need most from it, and focus on that. Mine sacrifices active investigation in exchange for being capable of astonishing precision.

What I would like to stress, though, was that I did deduce your entire past by observation. It just wasn't entirely of you. The concept of feats of deductive reasoning being performed in a void is ridiculous. Either you possess the relevant knowledge to understand the information you observe, or you do not. There is no 'inside' or 'outside.' Only comprehension."

Kuroimaken
2014-01-04, 12:57 AM
"The distinction is more important than you give it credit for. Just because you have an easy time surprising me doesn't mean it is supposed to be easy."

Dorizzit
2014-01-04, 01:03 AM
Jehoel is silent for several seconds.

"Would you care to expand on that?"

Kuroimaken
2014-01-04, 01:04 AM
"The distinction or the ease of me being surprised?"

Dorizzit
2014-01-04, 10:47 AM
"Correct."

Kuroimaken
2014-01-04, 06:55 PM
"Your sense of humor continues to elude you and I both." Setsurou replies, deadpan.

"But the fact is, the ability to obtain information without external perspective is both feared and respected. I'm sure I don't need to explain to you why - you understand the importance of secrets. As such, you understand how disconcerting it can be when someone shows you what they know without that person being able to imagine how you came across said information. It creates shadows in the corners of the mind. Sheer paranoia. A sense of powerlessness. All because they fail to explain how it comes to pass.

Anything that resembles a modicum of explanation instantly destroys this effect, however minimal it may be. That is why, while the extent of your skill is nothing short of remarkable, the fact you still needed information BEYOND that which I have subconsciously or consciously provided you has a soothing effect.

As far as being surprised, let's put it this way: it takes something completely outside the scope of my personal experiences, plus my not-exactly-dull-witted imagination, to really and truly surprise me. I hardly do not cover for the unexpected; I never discount a possibility based on its unlikelihood. It is what makes me an extremely annoying opponent to deal with in many respects. 'I would have never imagined' is a line I use so infrequently as to sound completely alien on my tongue.

I cannot cover for EVERY aspect, but not due to lack of trying, or for lack of foresight.

Few men have been able, during my adulthood, to do what you've done at least twice since we've first met. Or what Inmaculada did during my trip to Las Noches. And even so, what she did wasn't something I couldn't imagine; the shock of the experience is what took me by surprise.

I hope I haven't gone around in circles in this explanation."

Dorizzit
2014-01-04, 07:31 PM
"I suppose I can understand your perspective, it simply feels nonsensical to me. Then again...my mind is hardly that of a normal human. My perspective on my things is quite different from that of others. It may well be the same here."

Kuroimaken
2014-01-04, 08:17 PM
"It is something that deals with psychological response on a deep, empathic level. I'm not surprised that, to you, the logic may seem sound while the practice seems flawed."

Dorizzit
2014-01-04, 09:03 PM
"Mmh."

Jehoel doesn't really seem to have much else to say on the matter.

"As interesting as this has been, I'm afraid that it is time to bring the meeting to an end. I believe that I have fulfilled my end of the agreement, and our conversation seems to be running dry."

Kuroimaken
2014-01-04, 09:31 PM
"We'll have more to talk about in the future, I'm sure." Setsurou offers as he stands up and puts his hand for a shake.

"In fact, I'd been meaning to ask about how our treaty is meant to handle a certain irregular third party. But, not a theme for this time."

Dorizzit
2014-01-04, 09:51 PM
Jehoel stands, and shakes the offered hand firmly.

"That depends entirely on the party in question. We can only see what the future holds."

Kuroimaken
2014-01-05, 01:07 AM
"You know what party I'm talking about.

Anyway, best not to overextend this. By now they have probably figured out the dummy I had signing paperwork isn't me."

Dorizzit
2014-01-05, 01:11 AM
"As I said, it will depend on their actions. Even I cannot be sure how things will turn out."

He smiles at Setsurou's mention of the dummy.

"Do you want me to write you a note excusing your absence?"

Kuroimaken
2014-01-05, 10:02 AM
"Give me some credit, I have a contingency plan for that too.

Until next time, Jehoel. Let us hope it's still a peaceful one."

Dorizzit
2014-01-05, 11:40 AM
"Fingers crossed."

Jehoel's response is a bit dry, but obviously intended to be facetious.

"Until next time, Hishikawa Setsurou."

Turning, Jehoel opens a Garganta and steps through it, leaving for Las Noches.