PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of switching PBS and Precise Shot as prerequisites for each other; thoughts?

Totema
2013-12-12, 06:37 AM
It always struck me as weird that Point Blank Shot is a prerequisite for Precise Shot and not the other way around; surely, an up-and-coming archer would want to learn to shoot accurately before teaching himself how to shoot well at close range. Plus, it's convenient for spellcasters who rely on rays, as they don't need to burn an extra feat just to avoid that -4 melee penalty.

I'm considering switching these two for my games in the future. It won't be a complete reversal - all the other feats that require PBS will still need it, and the same for Precise Shot. I just want these two in a different order. Does that sound like a fair idea?

TuggyNE
2013-12-12, 07:54 AM
I'm considering switching these two for my games in the future. It won't be a complete reversal - all the other feats that require PBS will still need it, and the same for Precise Shot. I just want these two in a different order. Does that sound like a fair idea?

Well, a number of feats that presently require only one prerequisite tax will now require two.

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-12, 08:04 AM
It always struck me as weird that Point Blank Shot is a prerequisite for Precise Shot and not the other way around; surely, an up-and-coming archer would want to learn to shoot accurately before teaching himself how to shoot well at close range. Plus, it's convenient for spellcasters who rely on rays, as they don't need to burn an extra feat just to avoid that -4 melee penalty.

both what tuggy said and a brief comment on weapon logic. firing a ranged weapon at close range, while not the best of ideas, generally requires less training than hitting a target farther away with things around it, it does require a bit more calm thinking though. easier to hit a target that's too close to miss after all.

Psyren
2013-12-12, 08:45 AM
On the other hand, being able to precision target can be useful when it comes to firing at point-blank range, but the reverse isn't necessarily true. I approve of this switch personally.

As Tuggy said, you will want to make sure that every feat that *only* requires PBS, now *only* requires PrS.

Joe the Rat
2013-12-12, 08:51 AM
You could just cut the cat in half and make them independent feats.

Flickerdart
2013-12-12, 09:20 AM
Honestly, you would be better off just eliminating both feats and giving the "benefits" of Precise Shot away for free - the feats an unnecessary tax that makes it more difficult to get into an already feat-intensive style with a poor return on your resource investment.

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-12, 09:28 AM
Yeah, or combining the two feats into a single feat called precise shot.

Precise Shot

Benefit
You get a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at ranges of up to 30 feet. You can shoot or throw ranged weapons at an opponent engaged in melee without taking the standard -4 penalty on your attack roll regardless of range.

Special
A fighter may select Point Blank Shot as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Seems fine to me. Fairly no brainer on a ranged build, but that can be said anyway, and ranged martial characters need more love.

Gwendol
2013-12-12, 10:50 AM
I support folding them into a single feat.

Diarmuid
2013-12-12, 10:53 AM
My group folded them into a single feat and has been happy with the change ever since.

awa
2013-12-12, 12:11 PM
the fold them into a single feat seem best to me as well.

Totema
2013-12-12, 01:56 PM
I never thought about folding them into one feat before, but my players seem to like the idea. I'll do that. Thanks!