PDA

View Full Version : Change existing Sticky Thread to include search function topic?

ChristianSt
2013-12-12, 06:48 AM
I know the the topic for a sticky thread for the search function has turned up frequently in the past.

The last time the proposal was made, the answer included the reasoning that one problem is that it would increase the number of sticky threads (which is certainly not great).

But I had the thought: wouldn't it be possible to add it to an already existing sticky Thread?
If it doesn't increase the number of sticky it shouldn't be a bad investment (since while I think that it will not completely prevent the question from being asked - it could reduce the interval it is being asked).

My candidate for this change would be the "Logon Problems/No Permission to Post". Because the search posts by user/self feature returns the error "you do not have permission to access this page", I think it would (from a logical standpoint/thematic related standpoint) possible to change that thread to "Logon Problems/No Permission to Post / No Permission to search/Search function unavailable" or shorter "Logon Problems/No Permission to Post or Search/Search function unavailable" [or something like that - just the first thing I had in mind].

Killer Angel
2013-12-12, 07:54 AM
The problem is: stickied threads, are largely ignored.
You can have your fancy sticky thread, and you'll have people asking for the search funtion that is not working.
This is for the same reason you find request about it, when we already have threads with that topic in the title, in the same page: too many find easier to ask a question, rather than spend a minimal effort to look if there's already an answer.

ChristianSt
2013-12-12, 09:06 AM
I know - I even did say it wouldn't prevent them from happening (but it could reduce how frequent they appear).

But imo it would be pretty easy to implement that change (if the mods find it reasonable - I personally cannot see a drawback, but I didn't thought of the increased sticky-threads-count before they provided the reason).
And it would imo have some rather positive effects:

While not stopping them from happening, there might be people who post a "why can't I search?"-thread that would have found the sticky. Even assuming that all people search the active threads in the Board/Site Issues it is naturally that such a request pops up from time to time: If all person with the problem search the active posts for it - some day the topic will stop being active and they need to post (or dig really deep or needing some kind of Google-Fu - but people who would try to Google that information would probable just use Google instead of the search function anyway)
It should pretty much stop all "can we sticky a "why search doesn't work thread"?"-threads from appearing. While the "why can't I search?"-threads appear more frequent than these, they still do pop up from time to time.
It makes it easier to reply to "why can't I search?"-threads. Every time I see such a thread I want to provide a link/quote to a mod-answer (because I know there is one - and pointing to a mod-answer is imo much better than just saying "this is because" or "a moderator said that"). While I know how to find one of the newer threads on the topic, it would be much easier to just point to the sticky.

Kalmageddon
2013-12-12, 12:55 PM
For what it's worth, I think this is a good idea.

Roland St. Jude
2013-12-12, 01:34 PM
Sheriff: At this point, responding to the "helpful" suggestions on how to fix the problem of "how do I search?" threads is taking up more time than dealing with those threads. Please, my friends, stop trying to solve an insignificant problem by creating more work related to the problem.

Rawhide
2013-12-13, 03:54 AM
I'm going to make a sticky asking people not to request a sticky.