PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Hit a character idea blank spot.

GreenSerpent
2013-12-12, 08:51 AM
Hello all,

I'm run into a problem - my ideas for characters are all juiced out. As such, it's causing me a few small problems when I go to sessions and so on.

So what I'm asking is, what interesting/unusual builds does the Playground have hanging about that could help get my creative juices flowing again?

(the game I'm in involves two good-aligned drow, and it's been hinted we might venture into the Underdark, so ideas that would fit in there would be especially useful)

Stux
2013-12-12, 08:58 AM
Beguilers are a lot of fun. Try playing a Vow of Peace/Non-Violence Beguiler for a challenging game, but with lots of opportunity to come up with cool and interesting ways to handle encounters.

Alternatively, play a Gnoll Barbarian with the feats to duel wield Bastard Swords. Why a Gnoll? Why duel wielding Bastard Sword? Isn't that race and choice of combat focus at best mechanically sub-optimal? Come on, its a Gnoll with two massive swords raging at you! Thats freaking awesome, do you need any more!?

Forrestfire
2013-12-12, 09:21 AM
One character I've been meaning to play is a Glaivelock with invisible spell. To most observers, you don't even attack, things just die around you.

Lvl45DM!
2013-12-12, 09:22 AM
Snirvnebli Alchemist. Hock acid at your enemies! In pitch black darkness!

Flickerdart
2013-12-12, 09:22 AM
One character I've been meaning to play is a Glaivelock with invisible spell. To most observers, you don't even attack, things just die around you.
I wasn't aware one could apply metamagic feats to SLAs.

Stux
2013-12-12, 09:23 AM

Does that work? I didn't think you could apply metamagic to SLAs?

Forrestfire
2013-12-12, 09:27 AM
Complete Arcane page 71-72 has a passage that says that metamagic feats that don't affect level can be used on SLAs and Invocations.

Red Fel
2013-12-12, 09:38 AM
Hello all,

I'm run into a problem - my ideas for characters are all juiced out. As such, it's causing me a few small problems when I go to sessions and so on.

So what I'm asking is, what interesting/unusual builds does the Playground have hanging about that could help get my creative juices flowing again?

(the game I'm in involves two good-aligned drow, and it's been hinted we might venture into the Underdark, so ideas that would fit in there would be especially useful)

I'm going to go a bit afield here: What about Kuo-Toa? Yes, it's a LA +3 (one more than Drow), but LA buy-off can fix that. And yes, it has two monster HD, but consider what you get: bonuses to every ability score except Dex (+0) and Cha (-2), swim speed, immunity to poison and paralysis, electricity resistance, ability to breathe in air or water, keen sight and slippery abilities, natural armor, martial proficiency with pincer staves, and a bonus feat.

It's hardly an optimized race, but it's really flavorful - consider your character as a renegade/exile from a highly theocratic cult-like society of fish people. And really, who ever plays Kuo-Toa?

Faily
2013-12-12, 09:47 AM
Half-Fey Sorcerer/Heartwarder. Your Charisma will be through the roof, and your abilities will make you the most fabulous faerie there is. :smallbiggrin:

(I've played this myself, and it is a fun little thing)

GreenSerpent
2013-12-12, 09:49 AM
Kuo-Toa?

I think books will be thrown if I make him a WIS-based caster who speaks like Yoda...

Red Fel
2013-12-12, 09:59 AM
I think books will be thrown if I make him a WIS-based caster who speaks like Yoda...

How about an amhpbious chaotic spellcaster who harnesses invocations?

Call him a Mer-lock. ... Oh, I made myself sad.

Zombulian
2013-12-12, 10:05 AM
Complete Arcane page 71-72 has a passage that says that metamagic feats that don't affect level can be used on SLAs and Invocations.

O.O
City Magic Glaivelock

Flickerdart
2013-12-12, 10:08 AM
Warlocks still have somatic components to their SLAs, so no dice there.

nedz
2013-12-12, 10:12 AM

Stick this on a Pixie and you can be invisible whilst you do it. The LA is a tad steep though.

Forrestfire
2013-12-12, 10:21 AM
O.O
City Magic Glaivelock

Sadly, invocations and eldritch blasts don't have energy descriptors, so most of the 0-level metamagic doesn't work. With some early entry trickery though (warlocks qualify for Precocious Apprentice), Anima Mage is kinda hilarious with them. Twin Eldritch Glaive for massive damage, anyone?

Warlocks still have somatic components to their SLAs, so no dice there.

Gesturing towards someone and having people get hit by invisible force around you is still cool, though.

Zombulian
2013-12-12, 10:56 AM
Sadly, invocations and eldritch blasts don't have energy descriptors, so most of the 0-level metamagic doesn't work. With some early entry trickery though (warlocks qualify for Precocious Apprentice), Anima Mage is kinda hilarious with them. Twin Eldritch Glaive for massive damage, anyone?

Gesturing towards someone and having people get hit by invisible force around you is still cool, though.

Could you not Brimstone Blast or Caustic Blast?

edit: Quicken SLA + Twinned?

Forrestfire
2013-12-12, 11:00 AM
Anima Mage's Vestige Metamagic eats your swift action for the turn, sadly, and the elemental blasts just change the damage type, they don't have descriptors to qualify them for the application of Substitution/Three Thunders/Black Lore/City/etc.

Callin
2013-12-12, 11:05 AM
Go Lesser Svirfneblin Beguiler. The +1 DC for Illusions is great and some other cool bonuses

archon_huskie
2013-12-12, 11:08 AM
Play a half-orc barbarian Sorcerer.
Focus on Abjuration and Transmutation spells that would give him bonuses in combat.

HalfQuart
2013-12-12, 11:15 AM
I've got a backup character I've been waiting to play built based on this comment (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15425792&postcount=5) about an illiterate goblin sorcerer that thinks he's a wizard. Not super optimized, but strong enough to be useful and lots of RP fodder. :-)

Zombulian
2013-12-12, 12:47 PM
Anima Mage's Vestige Metamagic eats your swift action for the turn, sadly, and the elemental blasts just change the damage type, they don't have descriptors to qualify them for the application of Substitution/Three Thunders/Black Lore/City/etc.

Buuuummer.

Telonius
2013-12-12, 01:02 PM

The Concealed Spellcasting skill trick from Complete Scoundrel might be able to take care of that.

Snowbluff
2013-12-12, 01:19 PM

Oh. This is valuable. This is very valuable. :smallamused:

I wonder what you guys think about this. It calls out sudden metamagic feats, but otherwise says MM is generally not applicable.

nedz
2013-12-12, 01:29 PM
The Concealed Spellcasting skill trick from Complete Scoundrel might be able to take care of that.

Yes it's nice — but only 1/encounter or 1/minute because Skill Trick

Greater Invisibility should do nicely enough though.

Forrestfire
2013-12-12, 03:38 PM
Oh. This is valuable. This is very valuable. :smallamused:

I wonder what you guys think about this. It calls out sudden metamagic feats, but otherwise says MM is generally not applicable.

It calls out sudden metamagic feats, then goes on to say that they're usable because they don't affect level. I guess whether or not that and the passage saying to refer to above for other metamagic feats allows it is up to the DM.

Zweisteine
2013-12-12, 04:23 PM
I suggest that you play a properly Evil Drow, and "fix" your teammates immediately.

"Fixing" could be killing, sacrificing to Lolth, converting to evil (if you have the appropriate sourcebooks), or bringing to a Drow City, where others can do the fixing.

I would recommend being some sort of caster (cleric!), and finding ways to kill them without a save (irresistable spell!).

Particle_Man
2013-12-12, 04:30 PM
You could play a stonechild, an outsider who is a little baffled by drow politics but who is quite comfortable underground. And yeah, being immune to poison could help when drow politics is involved.

After level 6, you could react organically to whatever is happening around you and take class levels based on that. It doesn't all have to be pre-planned.

That said, I am old enough to think that kuo-toa and drow go together like gravy and potatoes, so that could work too. :smallsmile:

Greenish
2013-12-12, 04:37 PM
Yes it's nice — but only 1/encounter or 1/minute because Skill Trick

Greater Invisibility should do nicely enough though.You can just use Sleight of Hand to conceal your spellcasting, as per RC page 117.

Twilightwyrm
2013-12-12, 06:08 PM
I suggest that you play a properly Evil Drow, and "fix" your teammates immediately.

"Fixing" could be killing, sacrificing to Lolth, converting to evil (if you have the appropriate sourcebooks), or bringing to a Drow City, where others can do the fixing.

I would recommend being some sort of caster (cleric!), and finding ways to kill them without a save (irresistable spell!).

While the idea of a Drow priestess attempting to convert drow exiles back to the "Dark" as it were, don't go the team-killing route. You are supposed to be engaged in a cooperative activity here, even if character differences do occasionally result in this, making your character around the concept of team-killing the other players is bad form (and more importantly, is likely to get YOU justifiably killed).

Icewraith
2013-12-12, 07:44 PM
Were-shark. Barbarian. (may not be feasible due to the level your campaign is at)

You never have to worry about involuntary transformation as there's no moonlight in the underdark, you have a badass hybrid form, and you have a swim speed and excellent combat options if you run into aboleths.

Snowbluff
2013-12-12, 08:01 PM
Divine minion Neraph something/Master of Many Forms7/Chameleon 2.

Vampire 2 (Savage progression) Human Totemist5/Souleater1/Lifedrinker.

Illumian (Aeshkrau) Totemist2/Bard3/Crinti Shadow Marauder5/Ur Priest1/SublimeChord1/Mystic Theurge8.

It calls out sudden metamagic feats, then goes on to say that they're usable because they don't affect level. I guess whether or not that and the passage saying to refer to above for other metamagic feats allows it is up to the DM.

Was kind of looking for a second opinion. :smalltongue:

Icewraith
2013-12-12, 08:16 PM
Anything with the multi-headed template, create two different personalities with different goals and have them argue whenever possible.