PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Melee Wilder, rough draft needs feedback

GhorrinRedblade
2013-12-12, 09:23 AM
Hi,

So one of my buddies may be starting a Pathfinder adventure soon. I've got a build together that I'm quite happy with, a fighter/rogue multiclass. But I'm starting to get an urge for something psionic, so I'm here looking for help.

Basically, I'm looking at a guy who chops other guys up, using psionics to help things along. My first thought was psychic warrior, but then I started contemplating a melee build if a wilder, and I'm very intrigued. I was thinking if you used a courageous weapon to boost your Euphoric bonuses, that could be fun. I don't know if it's the best plan in the world, but it's the one I'd like to explore.

I scratched together some of the build's basics as they might look at L10, and came up with this:

Half-orc Fighter 2/Wilder 8 (The guy in my head is a half-orc, so that part is easy. I went for a 2-level dip of fighter (the psionic fighter archetype, specifically) for some feats & proficiencies, and to reflect the idea that this guy tried to fit in as a "normal" warrior at first, but it just didn't work.)

Str 16 Dex 10 Con 12 Int 10 Wis 13 Cha 14+2 (A 20 point buy, and I hate dumping ability scores. All level increases should go to Str, except maybe one to Wis to even that score out.)

Feats:
Ftr 1: Wild Talent, Psionic Weapon, Power Attack
Ftr 1/Wil 2: Psionic Body
Ftr 2/Wil 2: Weapon Focus
Ftr 2/Wil 3: Psionic Meditation
Ftr 2/Wil 5: Deep Focus
Ftr 2/Wil 7: Enervation Fortitude

That's all I've got so far. The basic idea was to use a bardiche, with an axe as a backup weapon, and thwack dudes as opportunity permits. If there's anyone out there who's ever successfully played something like this, I would love some constructive feedback/guidance/etc.

Thanks!
Ghorrin

Psyren
2013-12-12, 09:25 AM
1) What Surge are you using? That's probably your most important decision for a PF Wilder. (I personally recommend Warrior's Surge or Raging Surge for this.)

2) If you're doing a 2-level dip of a martial class, have you considered Paladin? Divine Grace is teh sex.

stack
2013-12-12, 09:28 AM
Vigor is your friend. The share pain/vigor combo* on a psicrystal will made you very tough. Get a psicrystal instead of one of your other feats. It will save you a lot more HP than psionic body gives for example.

*You can share vigor with your psicrystal and then split the damage with share pain. Your temp HP go a long way.

infomatic
2013-12-12, 10:55 AM
I'd second the Vigor/Share Pain combo, and the Raging surge, which fits the concept. (Paladin's a great mechanical mix, too, but doesn't seem to be the direction you're going).

Plus, since you can manifest while raging, you're pretty much safe from dying from post-rage HP loss.

I'd chuck Weapon Focus, Psionic Body and Pick up a Psicrystal/Extra Rage instead (assuming Extra Rage works with Raging Surge feature), possibly swap Deep Focus with Psicrystal Containment. (Edit: It'd probably be better to swap Psionic Weapon for Expanded Knowledge: Astral Construct or some such, too, but that's off-concept)

So Half-Orc Wilder (Raging surge)8/Fighter2
BAB: 8
Saves 5/2/6

Feats
Psicrystal, Psionic Meditation, Psionic Weapon, Extra Rage, Power Attack, Psicrystal Containment

Powers:
Vigor, Share Pain, Precog: Offensive. Final powers could be any two of either Precog: Defense, Ego Whip (for stuff you don't want to beat on); Energy Wall (for battlefield control); Fold Space (utility)

For your Rage power, I'd suggest Quick Reflexes for extra AOOs with that Bardiche.